1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

11 month on cries in her sleep

Discussion in 'Infants' started by thepianist, Mar 31, 2010.

1. thepianist

thepianist Junior IL'ite

Hello everyone, this is my first post on IL. I have a 11 month old daughter who cries in her sleep. Her eyes will be shut tight, but she will either start whimpering and then progress to full out crying, or she will just scream. Its nearly impossible to wake her up during these episodes. She's a very happy child in the day time and rarely cries. I work and my MIL takes care of her while I'm away. She has been doing this night crying since she turned 7-8 months old. Sometimes it doesnt happen for weeks at a time and then it starts again for a few nights continuously. My paed seems clueless about what this is. Can anybody help? It breaks my heart to see her cry like that.

2. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

hey i have no personal experience to reply to this thread but I talked to one of my friend's family who have a year old baby. babies have dreams itseems and they would smile or giggle while they sleep. maybe your child is getting scared. did her pediatrician already talk about this possibility? what all did you try?

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Pianist, yeah i too think it could be dreams, but have you discussed this with your Pedi?? Since you say it happens from her 7-8months, i am a little worried there. How do you pacify her during those screams? It happens every day? Welcome here :))

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi pianist.. you said you are working.. did you go to work around her 7-8 months or around that time? I see some relation there.. (from my experience). how is she in her afternoon naps? so how do you pacify her during such cries in the night?

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi

Welcome to IL.
    My daughter is 6 months and this is happening with her for the past 1-1.5 months.

She cries 2-3 times in the night ...sometimes it is just that she is sweating/she has wet her diaper. But mostly I found it is bcause she feels lonely. Like she would stop the moment I pick and put her on the shoulder and rock. If MIL/DH try to touch her, she will scream more ... all the while with eyes shut and she is really sleepy.
    The duration and frequency of cries have reduced frm the time I hug her and sleep and the moment she stirs, I pat her. I think she just needs mom ...:)

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Could be separation anxiety?? My DS has been doing this once in a while since past 2 weeks..

7. Ashzia

Ashzia New IL'ite

hi

Like the other ils sd the thing she needs is YOU.my dd too is 11 months old...she does tat in her sleep too. if my dh takes her she knws its him n stl cry...only when i pick her up she stays calm and clings to me..

so when she cries next time jus pick her up n try to feed her (if u bf)...she will be quiet...

Ayesha

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thepianist, this could be night terrors. DS would just cry, cry and scream, but cannot be waken up. I would suggest dont try to wake her up. But just hold her and rock her to let her know you got her back.
    With us, they became rare after DS's second birthday when his sleep patterns settled well. We usually noticed it when DS did not sleep too well in the pm nap and was therefore overtired in the night. Do have a consistent bedtime and stick to a good nightime routine that will help settle your child. As scary as it is to us parents, the child is most likely not distressed. Till date, when DS's nap is gone awry he will go to bed tired and will be very unsettled "waking up" to cry a little. But they are few and far in between now. hugs to you. Hope that helps.

9. thepianist

thepianist Junior IL'ite

Hello everyone, thanks so much for your support. I wanted to respond earlier but things kept getting in the way. From everything you all have said, I think it might be separation anxiety, an insufficient pm nap or night terrors (although from what I've read she's too young for night terrors). This crying in the sleep did start the same month I went back to work (she was about 6.5 months old). I have tried not waking her up and just patting, talking softly to her till the episode passes. I have only tried it for a few minutes before I pick her up (I find it very hard to listen to her cry and not pick her up). Trying to BF her doesnt work either. Sometimes even holding, rocking doenst help so I wake her up. It takes about 5 mins to wake her up! I feel terrible that she might be missing me so much during the day that she cries at night. She hasnt cried since I posted here so keeping my fingers crossed. I have also told MIL (who takes care of DD while I'm at work) to ensure she gets a good evening nap. Thanks for all your support.