1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

10 Tips to combat boredom and make use of TIME

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Mar 4, 2008.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Meenloch,

i am sure there are free online german courses, at least for beginners....if i find a link will post the same. I live here, so get to do those courses...though they are expensive. But sad thing is that without this language i cant even think of volunteeing . There are no courses available in english, so if i want to join be it aerobics or driving classes, i ahve to know the language!
    So the necessity made me get into the course after nearly 8 years, that too since i wanted to keep myself not bored in winter...ha ha......

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Those were very good, Meenloch.

There is a way out for everything. Being monotonous pushes everybody into boredom. Learning or doing something new is one good technique which makes the life very cheerful. The basic characteristic of kids is being in something new. I follow that. So, never feel bored.

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

VEry good Oviya. My husband is an inspiration for me. He plays keyboard, gets bored, then starts painting. When he gets bored he starts cooking big time. :).
    Kids have a message we can learn.
    Change is needed in our monotonous lives

4. sudhasrk

sudhasrk New IL'ite

hi MeenLoch
    those 10 ideas r very good . though i read it and i think i will do all these to kill my time i am some times very much depressed.;now we both (my husband )r here and 2 boys grown up r not in place. so feel very much lonely .thanks for the tips and i will try it out to kill my boredom

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Sudha mam,
    My parents are in same state like you, with my brother and me being away from her.
    I tell them, it's time you start thinking about yourselves, your likes, dislikes, choices, interests...
    Enjoy your life mam :)

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Meenloch,
    Libraries have lots of free language programs. It might be under the teens section. Logging online , one can check the language programs. I did the conversational spanish . At the end of 12 weeks, it gave me a test and certificate that I can print.

7. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Dear Meenaloch
    Very good writing.
    Yes I am doing what you said. In this way this IL helps me much .I felt very renewated when i showcased my craft interests and my affection with collection of pillayars and all.
    I learned multimedia course after I retired from service. Not for making it use. Just I got interest and I learned.
    I am visiting nearby orphange and doing the helpupto my limit. Learning Narayaneeyam and bajan songs, going to Thirumala for doing service. So i am now seeing a new world. No question of left alone and bordom.
    Viji

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Quite an inspiration you are, Viji mam.
    You have got a lot of things on palette. Where is the time for you to feel bored ?
    Maybe you can have a separate blog space and share the snaps of your collections. Would love to see them.

9. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

Recently I had been to Vellore to visit Golden Temple along with my hubby ,son and Daughter-in -law.We returned to Katpadi station for our trip back to Chennai around 2.45PM. We had around three hours wait at the station. We felt we ould have brought our scabble board to pass the time. While my son and hubby happily dozed off most of the time sitting , me and my DIL felt jealous of them that we could not do it and spent most of the time complaining about the heat ,crowd and the unhealthy and uncivilised behaviour of the people at large. Men do seem to have a knack of sleeping at odd hours and at odd places and at odd position.Being feminine does have its disadvantages..How does one get rid of boredom in situations like above?

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Idea 1 :
    Ms.Lakshmi, do you read ? Magazines are there, Novels and gems are there in all a languages.
    When I have to wait in grocery store line here in US, me and my husband pick some magazine on rack. We are there in counter soon.
    Also during railway tickets wait back in India, I would carry a book.

Idea 2 :
    I love watching people. Colors of their dresses, their features. I don';t stare but like simply sitting and watching people :).

Idea 3 :
    My mother sometimes used to carry her sweater knitting kit. She used to knit talking to others. Other art kits are there too. Long journey is best place to carry such things.

Idea 4 :
    Carry a notepad and a pen. Write short stories or draw like a child would. We lose the child in us as we grow old. Who cares how it comes out. How about drawing kolams ?

If you have cell phone and limited charges or affordable charges, you can call friends who you haven't talked to for a long time.

PS - Do you like trains ? In stations I love watching trains and engines.

It has been hot for you. I know it's annoying to do certain things when it's hot. Buy a cucumber/ watermelon ad relish it :)

Hope the tips help. I ll add more to them :)
    Good Luck Ms. Lakshmi Visit my blog area for more such posts.