1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

10 months baby Nursing Strike

Discussion in 'Infants' started by viki123, Mar 20, 2015.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    Please suggest me how to tackle this problem.
    My 9 ½ months suddenly stopped nursing since 2 days, he actually stopped taking milk from bottle at 7 months and used to drink my expressed milk in a Sippy.
    He hates formula; I have tried different types and different ways like adding fruit etc, but whatever I do, if its formula is throes the sippy.
    He takes my milk is sippy (if available sometimes) when I am not at home and nurses during evening, night and on weekends. Since he is active and good at his mile stones, doctor said that fine with what he is doing.
    But since last 2 days he just plainly rejects nursing, I think it started after my reaction to his biting. Today he just had 1oz of my BM in the morning before Lunch.
    I am really worried about his milk intake.

2. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

It is good. Some babies don't like milk or formula from 4 months itself. So don't worry about this. Try any powder milks!

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Maybe it's sign of weaning.mix the expressed milk in his baby cereal/porridge to keep up with his milk intake. You can slowly transition him to yogurt / whole milk when ur pediatrician suggests.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sivasakhtigopi,
    He used to drink only from breast since last 3 months and i have introduces yogurt at 7 months, he likes yogurt . Since this weekend i am mixed fruits in his milk and he is taking at 2-3 ounces instead of rejecting. My pead said only formula or BM till 12 months. I am thinking of making fruit shakes with formula and see if he accepts it.

@Jskls,
    Yes, i guess he is [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]weaning and is sleeping thought the night now. Even if he wakes up, he takes a sip of water and goes back to sleep. Even my milk has reduced drastically. This all happened suddenly so i was kind of not prepared. [/FONT]

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@viki123, since he is 7 months old now, perhaps he is showing more interest in solids. What kind of solids have you started by now?
    Try as much as you can to nurse, if thats not working I dont know what to suggest to you.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Rakhii,
    He is 10 months old. He loves solid and figure foods. Below was his schedule.

8:00 - 9:30 am: Ragi with fruit or baby cereal with fruit (6-7 oz)
    9:00 - 11:00 : Nap
    11:30: Milk / If i am at home nurse
    12:30: Lunch, Rice, dal, veggie (6-8 oz)
    1:30 - 3:30 : Nap
    3:30 : Milk/yogurt shake, If at home nurse
    4:30 : Fruit, puff / yogurt melts (finger foods)
    6:30: Nurse and Nap for 20-30 min, Skips nap some times
    7:30: Dinner. Rice , Dal, Veggie & yogurt (6-8oz)
    8:30: Sleep. (this depends on ki evening nap)
    12/2 or 6: Nurse.

Since last Tuesday, he has stopped nursing. He just turns his head away. I am trying my best give him milk during these nursing sessions. At present he drink milk at 5:00am instead of night nursing and goes back to sleep. His milk intakes is not more than 3-4oz at a time.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@viki123, I didnt realize he is 10 months. His feeding schedule seems perfect to me. Did you try mixing the milk with cereal and see if he takes it that way? At this point concentrate on getting his dairy intake up, it doenst matter how. Try including cheese (laughing Cow and Babybel are usually kids favorites) in his diet. Cottage cheese and eggs if possible.
    At 12 months I started weaning my LO off from BM and formula and introduced whole milk for her. Since you are only 2 months away from that 1 year mark, check with your pediatrician and see if you can dilute the whole milk and offer the baby.

2 people like this.
  8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viki, I dont have any experience myself but thought of sharing my friends story with you to ease you a little bit. Her son weaned himself exactly at the age of 10 months by biting her in each breast once after she offerd, he never drank again. She needed to fully switch to solids and was quite sad about it, but i know her boy he is strong and healthy and now 2 1/2 years old, a clever little man. Another lady i know her son even weaned himself earlier, refused to drink from her breast, she fed with bottle he is now about 1 year and totally healthy fine child. I guess children have their own way and some just decide they wish to be weaned that early.
    Wanted to tell you too that i loved your food schedule for your little one, sounds very nice, actually will use it to keep it in mind for my own baby :) only thing is you can add cheese and add some fruit in his shake or as snack otherwise everything looks perfect to me.

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

RedRuby,
    My son also bit me few days before weaning himself. Rather than nursing i am worried about his milk intake. He hates to drink milk in any form now. I tried adding fruit it works some times. If i add formula to his solids he will reject solids and starts acting fuzzy and shouts until i offer him some thing else.
    I am planning to slowly introduce cow's milk and see if he likes it. Some times i wonder an i giving too much stress on milk. :bonk

For his solids, i just follow his clues, and feed him as he needed and it fell in schedule. In fact my DS loves his schedule, even it if delay his bath time he won't accept. Now a days i stopped looking at clock gigglingsmiley

10. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@viki123 - I am sorry. I don't have any suggestions for your situation but I stopped by to say that your son sounds very cute. :kiss God bless!!
    I think my boy will also be exactly like yours. Like you, I just followed his clues and he had set a schedule for himself (naps, feedings, even for poo). And I recall your reply to one of my threads in which you mentioned that your little one was exactly like mine when he was at my son's age :)

And thanks for sharing your baby's food schedule. Very helpful for me :)