1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

10 month old gags on food

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Keerti16, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,

My 10 month old daughter was breast fed exclusively till 6months and then started on puréed solid. I have started rice and dal recently, but unless input it in mixy and make it smooth, she gags. I have tried introducing semi puréed food every few weeks since she was 7 months old, but the gagging continues and so I now make everything smooth in mixy and then give. She has no teeth as yet. Her other motor skills are fine, she walks comfortably. So is this gag reflex normal? How long will it last? What do I need to do tp help her learn to take more textured food?

Cheers

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@keerti16 allow her to pick and eat her food. She needs to learn to chew. The gag reflux would reduce as she starts chewing her food.

1 person likes this.
  3. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Hi keerti,
    I agree with Ramya. To add to it, my son was also like this till 10-11 months. Even banana i had to make a milkshake otherise he was choking on it. Give little quantities when you give semi solids, when you feed in spoon, it should be very littkle. once they get use dto texture, you can give more.

Also, i feel it depends on the baby, every baby is different, I was worried abt this initally as he always wanted pureed food, or porrdige kinds; all of a sudden he has started eating now. :bowdown so dont worry. baby himself will let you knw when he is ready. :thumbsup

Even when it comes to sleep, many people try to sleep train them, but i never did that and and all of a sudden he started sleeping on his own.

Babies will let you know when they are ready!

4. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Hi ramya,

Thanks for reply. I hope she learns soon. As of now she does not put anything I give in her mouth.

Cherrs

5. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Hi chotabheem,

Thanks for the reply. I am so glad to hear there are other babies like this... My daughter as of now wants everything in porridge consistency. Hopefully she will soon outgrow this.

Your son started sleeping on his own? Wow..congrats. My daughter still needs to be put to sleep and sometimes wakes up screaming in the night....wonder how long this will go on...

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Keerthi...
    Try putting heavy towel on babies chest when she sleeps.....

7. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

I think its common, even my son wakes up sometimes screaming or cryig loudly sometimes.. may be they get bad dreams/nightmares .. i need to pick him up when he is screaming, but even picking him up doesnt stop his cries, i gently wake him up and then put him back to sleep..most of the times when he cries or screams it will be with his eyes closed. make some loud noise or wake him up show around and then he will go to sleep after few mins.

8. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Dear vjbunny,

Shall try that.

Dear chotabheem,

Same case with my dd. I am contemplating making her sleep in her own bed after she is one. I am sure she will protest by crying for some days but lets see....

How did your son start eating more solid food? How did he show you he was ready?

Cheers