1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

1 yr old not drinking milk suddenly

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My 1 yr old has suddenly stopped liking milk. We went to India recently for her first bday and she has been having feeding/eating issues since then.

In India she has lost weight. She did not eat from the start of trip .. and then in india because of lot of travelling, staying up late nights, heat, jet lag, people, she probably could not take all that.
    In the beginning she was not drinking milk, eating anything or even water and highly constipated. Later in the trip, she had settled. Her appetite had returned and she was okay.
    In India, because she was not eating solids well & dehydrated, I was trying to give her bottles = 6oz x 5times ~ 30 out of which was probably taking 24 - 28 oz.

Now she should be taking 4 times ~24 oz ( 20-24 oz) but she is not even completing 3 times ~not finishing 18 oz. With that, she gets constipated often inspite of taking water, yogurt. She does not eat sweeter stuff so giver her prunes, dates, milk with sugar, does not work to relieve her.

I swear her digestive system was so good and she was hardly constipated until we started our journey :-(((( Also she loved cow's milk before. I have been her from 6 months ( along with Formula) . I had stopped formula after 1 yr but now I have bought it back thinking its cow's milk taste .

I give her yogurt about 2 times.. I know yogurt is milk equivalent but its not like she takes 6 oz each time. She loves it, but because she was not taking milk, I reduced yogurt and infact solids, so she asks for more milk but no.... I am very much worried now.

Is it normal? I read milk needs online but what is your experience?

I am starting her daycare soon and I know this problem is going to continue...with change. Daycare caretakers are not going to try feeding her milk every 5 minutes If she does not feed on regular time..like I do.
    One more thing, I have noticed, if we go outside, mall etc, she gets excited seeing people and won't eat.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Feeding Your 1- to 2-Year-Old

Please read this above link.
    A one year old child does not need more than 16- 20 oz milk.you should try to give balanced meals after one , and don't give too much milk else kids become iron deficient.
    You can ask your doctor , they also have kids dieticians who can suggest you meal ideas for you child.for my kid on 15 month visit we were given a chart and in that only two cups of milk were told and not more than 2.5 cups of milk.you should give dairy in other forms like yoghurt , cheese etc.Also you have to include lots of fruits and vegetables , if you just feed milk you will end up with a very picky eater.

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Do not try to feed her if she refuses. Give yogurt, cheese, other milk products instead.

4. sanjuruby3

Even in morning she wakes up with growling stomach but won't mouth bottle/milk in sipper. Just a month before, she used to finish morning bottle in a gulp.

She was very good eater before. She hardly disliked something...like sweets were not her thing.

5. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

After a year, toddlers preferences change. And milk is not a primary source of nutrition anymore. If it's not teething, try giving variety of food, that are made of milk, yogurt, cheese. Brace yourself for more changes as they will keep you surprising all the time now on. Also please know that toddlers will not starve. Just go with the flow;)

6. sanjuruby3

We moms are always worried. I try to cheat her by giving milk in glass, or sippy cup. she takes first sip, then look inside and rejecting.

She does not eat cereals and sweeter stuff. so getting milk inside her through cereals will also not work :-(((.
    Yougrt is okay but 3-4 times a day ...doh1

I read people giving milk shakes etc. Adding sugar did not work for my LO. Do any of you give bournivita or other kind of powder etc to kid at that age to add flavor?

I did not want my daughter to get addicted to these things. Like some people even 40+ can not drink their milk without bournvita. But I have no control it seems.

7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Dear @sanjuruby3 - I am hoping that it is just a phase with your DD which will pass on its own.. my DS drinks milk without any fuss most of the days but then sometimes he too does this.. what worked for me is not to expect him to empty the bottle (as he usually does) at once.. instead he takes 2oz and then 10 min break and then again 2 oz and then 15 min break and so on.. I make sure he drinks it all within one hour and I discard the remaining milk if it is more than an hour..

But then I do not have this luxury in the morning.. due to time constraint in the morning, I do something to make him drink his milk and I am NOT proud of that :cry: I just play his favorite rhyme in ipad and he just like that empties his milk while watching the rhyme.. this happens only once in a while because my DS is hungry in the morning and drinks his milk without any issues most days.. I do this when nothing else worked and when I am really in a hurry Witsend

Before my son was born, I was so sure that I will give him no screen time before 2 years but I failed at that :oops:

8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I don't think adding sugar/bournvita is a good idea.. may be okay for a short period but I strongly advice against long term use as it is not a healthy option.. you are right about getting addicted to it.. so lets better not do it to our babies :)

so true..

9. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

oh another thing.. If her milk is at room temperature, can you warm it up and give.. make sure it is not hot.. it should just be warm.. I myself dislike milk when not warm

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Sanjuruby3 It is fine not to have milk. Think of milk as a source of protein and calcium needs. Yogurt will also satisfy the needs. So what if she wants to have it multiple times a day.

Check if she is teething. Also have you made a recent transition from bottle to sipper?

My 22 month old does not take milk regularly. I am still feeding him so I am not too concerned.