1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“you Are Old, Father William The Young Man Said”lewis Carrol

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 1, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

YOU ARE OLD, FATHER WILLIAM THE YOUNG MAN SAID”LEWIS CARROL

My eyes were watering and it was becoming difficult to read or write.People thought that I was upset with something and hence the running eyes.I went to an eye hospital and after all the checks I was ushered into the Doctors room-a smart and pleasant young man.He examined me and said that it is an age related factor.I said in a jocular tone “Doctor I know my age –incidentally 83.Is there some thing amiss apart from age.He laughed aloud and prescribed Refresh eye drops.After coming out my daughter scolded me for what she called indiscreet remarks.I rebutted and said that I had not waited for three hours and paid Rs.Five hundred for consultation to know my age.

Old people like to chat at the earliest opportunity.When breath becomes shorter and anecdotes become longer it is a sign old age.Youngsters on the other hand are always in a hurry and go the extent of cautioning seniors not to talk unnecessarily.My Sambhandi[85] went to a Neuro surgeon for consultation on his back pain.Instead of coming straight to the subject he went on to to explain that he was a weight lifter when he was young etc.The Doctor looked at his watch and abruptly told him to have physio therapy and surgery may be required if necessary.Before leaving the old man asked the surgeon what he should take for constipation.Doctor with a smile wrote the prescription for a laxative.After coming out,his son lashed out stating that nobody was interested in his weight lifting exploits and that he had wasted Doctors time.He also expressed his annoyance on the question for constipation from a neuro surgeon.Back came the reply-“after all ,he would have done his MBBS before qualifying to be a Neuro surgeon and would not they have taught him about constipation in his MBBS course?. Should I waste four hundred Rupees on another Doctor to solve my constipation problem ?My son in law was effectively silenced by this logic.

June 24 2019.I had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital.Angiogram,followed by angioplasry and fixing stents was completed successfully.My heart almost stopped beating when the cardiologist made a statement on the operation table to his assistants”let us try the last time”.Later on I understood that he was referring to one more chronic occlusion in right coronary artery.They could not clear the block and I live with it as I have been in the last ten years.The most embarrassing time is spent in the ICU where you are exposed and conscious of it.A tamilian nurse in her late forties was looking after me and she found a kindred soul in me and poured out her woes with her DIL and we became friends .Once I had to use the commode chair but was hesitant as only one side of the bed had curtains and the other two were open. I explained my hesitation pointing out the number of ladies standing and chatting a little away on the open side.She retorted “don’t think all of them are waiting to rush and see you.carry on”.A reality check. Doctor said that he would discharge me after observing my walk.Even though I was unsteady,I copied wing commanders Abhinandan’s majestic walk to the wagha border after release by Pakistan. Excellent ! exclaimed the Doctor and ordered my discharge.On the day of discharge ,I had a nice shave[MACH3],dressed up in Mayilkan Dhoti,a FABINDIA shirt and topped it up FOGG spray.In a little while the ward sister came in and started searching.When I questioned her she said she was searching for the patient.I raised myself to my full height[not much-155 cms] and said that I was the patient.”oh my God you are looking so nice uncle”not uncle-Thatha I corrected.She was a good but confused soul.

October 2019.I was rushed to the hospital for intestinal bleeding.I had lost a lot of blood and my haemoglobin level was throwing tantrums.Endoscopy and Colonoscopy were done and the whole place cleaned up besides putting clips on the naughty spots.The problem was diagnosed as Diverticulam and the culprit was the most powerful blood thinner I was having.Having googled Ihad my own reservations about this thinner due to the side effects but a sentence that “it prevents death” clinched the deal.Cardiologist was consulted and he said that the blood thinner was the best and may be, not for my age.He changed the blood thinner to a milder one but with a caveat that there is a 5-10% chance of heart attack.I told him that like the warriors of the Chola kingdom I would prefer popping off with heart attack than on the colonoscopy table exposing my bottom.

My back pain was diagnosed as compression fracture of the vertebra due to ageing and osteoporosis.A pet scan was done which revealed all the secrets of my anatomy but the redeeming feature is that the brain is O.K subject to normal wear and tear.While bone marrow sample was being taken I was asked to tell a story to divert my attention.I told her a Sardarji joke after a lengthy preamble on Sardars. Every one was in splits and by that time the sample was taken.

During my recent follow up check up I requested the cardiologist to change my BP medicine as BP was hovering around 165-80.Doctor said that the reading was acceptable for my age.I said yes under relaxed conditions but have to take into account the rise in BP when TV channels telecast discussion on Article 370,citizenship amendment act etc.The Doctor thundered to my daughter”don’t allow him near the TV”.He however changed the medicine.

Doctors become an inevitable part of your life in old age.Communication and good rapport with the Doctor is essential to get a proper explanation and clear doubts. We cant help it if they coax the wallet apart from the heart.The general accusation is that Doctors are not communicative though the position is changing.Today the patients are far more well informed and Doctors have to explain to get acceptance for more expensive procedures and aftercare solutions.

Sorry-I have given a long preamble to MY constitution.

Happy and Peaceful New year to all the members of the IL family.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    iyerviji, AltheaHope, SunPa and 10 others like this.

2. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for this post. It was absolutely realistic while it made me smile every now and then. It tells us the truth while letting us know how to go about life. A very beautiful post indeed.

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your FB.We have accept life,nothing but vepanpoo pachadi[sweet,sour,karam,salt, and bitter].SLN

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

How old is old? You seem to be in olly good 38 and not 83. I agree. Certain health problems are age related and should be taken with a pinch of sugar. Doctors have a job and since we pay them for that they do it to the best of their ability. They are not God and they know it.

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear HarilLakhera,
    Mind and spirit play an important role in health issues.The less we know the better.The Bumble bee cannot fly according to aerodynamics.But it still flies because nobody has told it that it cannot fly.Doctors have a role to play.There are however black chips in the woodpile who prescribe unnecessary tests and medicines.Years back Iwas taking a tablet for Angina pain .Due to unknown reason the tablet was changed to another one.When I checked up with the chemist about the difference between the medicines ,he said that the chemical was the same but the changed one was called Singapore medicine.Asked to explain,he clarified that ever since a company took the Doctors on a Singapore trip,many were prescribing the changed version.
    Regards
    SLN

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Another delightful write-up from you, Sir. Just the title had me smiling, and I went and read the entire poem. Father William by Lewis Carroll. I remember all of us classmates laughing on reading the poem in our English class. I wonder if some of the lines would be acceptable in English textbooks now, such as these:
    "You are old," said the youth, "and your jaws are too weak
    For anything tougher than suet;
    Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak —
    Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
    And argued each case with my wife;
    And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
    Has lasted the rest of my life."

Before going to the doctor's office, we used to go through the routine of training our father on what to say and what not to say to the doctor, nurse and receptionist. Half the time he said what he wanted while we fumed silently. : )

I am going to use this line sometime. When breath becomes shorter and anecdotes become longer... : )

I learnt after a few doctors appointments that after an age, the visit to the doctor is not entirely a medical one. It is sometimes more a social one, more so if the doctor has been seeing the patient for many years.

: ) What an example! Neat.

:grinning:

:grinning:

:grinning::grinning:

True.

That's a positive change and thanks in large part to the internet.

padma0604 likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rihana,
    I am gratified that you have analysed the snippet line by line and expressed your thoughts.In a way I have brought to the attention of readers the need to be aware of the frailities of seniors.Iam fond of this poem and have used this in my intellectual altercation with my wife.Many thanks for bringing out the spirit of the snippet.
    Regards
    SLN

padma0604 and Rihana like this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Of course there are good Doctors who advice against unnecessary tests and expensive medicines.Such Doctors in corporate hospitals pay a price by losing their jobs.MRI scan is a money spinner for Doctors.A family friend Doctor sent a patient with a slip stating-reduce the usual for this patient.This resulted in a saving of Rs.2000. However I agree that we cannot paint all Doctors with the same brush.
    SLN

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That was a wonderful opening to your new year's innings. With my mom the problem was the other way around. At home she'd tell me all the things wrong with her eyes. I'd book an appointment with the doc - which was usually after 3 weeks if he was in town, take an hour to reach there, an hour after putting eye drops for the dilation and then when the doc came to see her and asked her what the problem was or how she was, the pat answer would be 'I am fine'! I'd just roll my eyes and bring her back home - all the rigmarole for an 'I am fine'! :roflmao:

I have spent the better part of my life in doctors' waiting rooms. I have concluded that there is really nothing they can do for human frailties and the next time I go to a hospital will only be when I am carried in there without my knowing it! Until then, my experience as a patient has equipped me well enough to take care of my day-to-day needs!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    padma0604 and Radha99 like this.