1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“Treat and Make us Like Search Engine”

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by pgraman, Aug 4, 2011.

1. pgraman

pgraman Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    [FONT="]“Treat and Make us Like Search Engine”

[/FONT]
    [FONT="]What is meant by studying and learning? Let me differentiate those things in brief. Studying is a short term achievement but learning is a long term achievement. If you are studying one thing today you will forget it by after few days if you didn’t go through it regularly. But if you learn a thing you would never forget for your life. Among us except few would be forgetting even what studied in the last semester. Because we didn’t learn it we just studied it. But still most of them are remembering the things which we learned in our earlier school days namely rhyme, we didn’t study it. We just learned it.
    [/FONT]

[FONT="] Before I provide historical perspective, let me share some information about learning, the studying is just a theoretical one, but learning is a practical one. If I ask you what are the parts available in the cycle means everyone who learned driving cycle can say blindly. Because we learned how to drive and what are all the parts are required to drive it nicely. Once we learned one thing we should never forget it for our life.[/FONT]

[FONT="] The ancient education system called as Gurukul or Ashram system. Guru was the key person in the ancient education system. The word guru has special meaning in the Sanskrit language. Guru is one who removes the darkness of ignorance from the life of a disciple. And he spreads light of knowledge in disciple. The guru felt very happy in those days his disciple excelled him in performance or defeated the guru in debate or on the battlefield. He encouraged freedom of expression with respect.
    [/FONT]

[FONT="] In the Gurukul system the learning has some steps, first is learning and good conduct near the guru, next one to learn good conduct through sharp intellect and enthusiasm, third one is to learn through prolonged reflection fourth step is to learn through discussions with the class mates. These are the four diamond steps in the process of learning in the Gurukul system.
    [/FONT]

[FONT="] If we compare the ancient education with today’s education we might face several differences, let me explain about it, in today’s education there is no, good teacher and student relationship as in the ancient system. There is no room or freedom to express our own thoughts. Nowadays teacher restricted the students to speak out. They are saying in the stages like students should speak out but the word speak out wandering in that stage alone not in the real life of the student.[/FONT]

[FONT="] Let me share my experience, am doing MBA in a particular college, MBA is a universal subject but they are teaching us just like a school students, no practical teaching only theoretical. And each day we should write test that too we should study from the notes which they provided while they taking class. In that notes only side points were given. By reading and writing only a side points not at all help one student to learn about his subject. That too we are MBA students as MBA students we should have more knowledge about the happenings also about the subject in a practical way. By having daily test we got mental stress, because we are not a school students to do daily home works because we have personal commitments too. By seeing their torture I wrote a letter to the Head of the Department by getting signature from the whole class, let me share the main body of the letter here.
    [/FONT]

[FONT="]Respected Madam,[/FONT]

[FONT="]Here we are going to say you about our problem. First of all we do not like the spoon feeding teaching. Mam, we are having a doubt that we are actually in a MBA class or in a 5th STD class room. MBA is a universal subject and it should be very practical one, but still we didn’t get any practical knowledge out from this course. Did you know the exact reason for the failure of our student? Let’s tell the exact reason; the only reason is our theoretical approach in the subjects. The questions which are asked in the semester examinations are too different and it should need more practical knowledge and need more information related to a particular topic or subject. Then only we can able to answer those questions easily. But still we didn’t have the time to exhibit those things, because most of the times are killed by the useless class tests. We wrote two semester examinations, but in those examinations we didn’t write more than a page from the notes which are given by our staffs. Don’t consider this as a complaint mam; just consider this as our humble request. Because each and every one having some personal commitments like preparing for competitive examinations like IAS, Bank exams, group I,II exams, going for part time jobs, etc. And we beg you to stop this mam. Because it puts more stress on us.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="] After getting this letter, if you are in the position of HOD what you will do and what you will say to your students? Do you know the reply which we got from our HOD, She said, ok, you people are don’t want to write test on each subject on every day. So I have one plan, write each day two subject test. For this, we said, mam, instead of writing test just give one topic to each student, and we will ready to take seminar this would help to improve our communication also our subject knowledge. Because if you give a test to us then it’s just like a work, but if you give the permission to take seminar then it will be a responsibility each student will think that we should do well in this seminar for that he will collect more information on each topic. This collection of information will help us to write our examination easily. But madam said, no, you people should write two subject tests in each day. We came back speech less, and there we lost our human rights too.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="] In ancient time we are the king in teaching but in today’s education we are none in education.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Teacher should be a friend[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Teacher should be a motivator[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Teacher should be a role model [/FONT]
    [FONT="]But nowadays, teacher has an ego[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Teacher has favoritism[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Teacher rule over the student [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Please don’t treat us like a Xerox machine [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Just Treat and Make us like Search Engine [/FONT]​
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai PGR,

Very Good Morning. A very nice morning useful and informative post dear.Yes studying and learning has got difference. As you have mentioned i too agree with you. The teacher can tell the student to take a seminar on a particular topic related to the subject which will inturn help the student to improvise the knowledge, the knowledge awhich he/she acquired, capability of conversing the topic, capable of answering the questions or any doubt raised by the student. A deep analysation and finally you have concluded very well as tomake the student as
    SEARCH ENGINE. Hats off PGR:thumbsup

3. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear PGR,

Absolutely agree with you, learning and studying vary a lot... A very useful and knowledgeable information for all. thanks for sharing.

Shanti

4. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

I like this!!

5. pgraman

pgraman Gold IL'ite

Hi Sree

thank you very much for your acceptance. and thanks for your continuous support sree

yes you are absolutely right, when the student give with responsibility then sure he/she will work hard and smart to do that responsibility nicely. but the situation should be created by the staffs to the students. even now they are dumping us with physical works they dont let us to do the mental work. the student who never raise his/her question against the teacher who taking class should get shame, but now a days students have the intention to ask the question and doubts to the teachers but the teachers not providing the room for us to do such things.
    i think its all because of appointing a inexperienced staffs. because in my college most of them are freshers those are finished their degrees recently. The colleges for their betterment they are appointing those kind of staff to enjoy reduction in salary.

thanks you sree[​IMG]

6. pgraman

pgraman Gold IL'ite

thank you very much shashiv for your appreciation and for agreeing my thoughts.

thank you:thumbsup

7. pgraman

pgraman Gold IL'ite

thank you very much nihasvin for steeping in to comment on my post.
    thank you:thumbsup

8. devapriya

devapriya IL Hall of Fame

You are correct Ram!

Indian education syllabus is more better than any other one, but the way we used to learn totally made us not fit for gaining practical knowledge.

It is to be changed, but who will be going to change is the Big Question!!!!

9. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Ouch! Your HODs response pretty much invalidates the whole point of learning something. Its strange how our education system tries to substitute hard work in place of inquisitiveness.

10. pgraman

pgraman Gold IL'ite

yes you are absolutely right shivshkti......thank you very much..yar:thumbsup