“Today is a good day”...a step towards positive thinking

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Pankajini, May 22, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

This is just the second or third day that I can count as positive for me in the last 2 months. Things were pretty shaky for me in a lot of ways. Today I gave a GMAT prep test and finally did well!! I am SO HAPPY. :cheers .I rewarded myself by going for some shopping. I left the house today after almost a month:hide:. A much needed break and motivational scores.

2. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Thanks Neha,
    I have the Manhattan study guides for Maths and SC. I also have Powerscore CR , OG 12th ed and OG verbal.

How long did it take for you to complete the SC book? I guess I should take it slow and read and re-read. It is undoubtedly the best SC book, but I am having some starting trouble with grammar.

Since the main reason for taking all this trouble to do GMAT is to compensate for my GRE score and meet the cut off in some univs, I am targeting a 680. Not sure how I will do. At this point, that is a distant dream:bonk

I havent taken a test date. For my local univ, my GRE score meets the cut off. Considering that I have a baby, this is my most prefered one.So, I will be applying by early decision - around Oct mid. For a couple of other courses for which GMAT is required / my GRE is not good enough, I plan to apply in 2nd round -around Dec end. So far, I havent taken the GMAT date, but plan to give the exam by Nov end or Dec mid.

3. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Congrats dear. GMAT prep is the most reliable test.
    Enjoy the break and get back to crack the GMAT with full force.:thumbsup

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I took 2 readings to just get an 'idea' of the grammar rules. This took 4 days. But,i have read the book 4 times so far after that on and off.. It is a really good book. MGMAT also has a CR book but I could not follow it and so I just purchased the powerscore yesterday. I think the powerscore takes about a week to read. Grammar is the best part on GMAT to score, according to me...you will do fine after a couple of weeks.I am sure you will come and tell us how much ur grammar has improved:thumbsup
    a lot of people have had their SC score improved after MGMAT SC book.

hmm..680 needs a little more prep but not hard to get(dont ask me why I have not got 600+ in a prep test till now :rotfl).. a 600 score can be done in 1 month study...and considering that you have been in the 'study mode' , its faster to get going rather than for someone to 'start studies'.
    BTW,what the name of the schools that you are applying? I am just curious..because Most schools that I have here have a cut off of just 500:hide:.. there are 2 ivy leagues and I am definitely not in that league:rotfl....only 1 good school has a cut off of 520 and avg of 550...
    Anyway, you have time..I think you should book your GMAT 1.5 or 2 months from now and then you will be able to prepare...to be on the safe side a 3 month study is a good idea...I studied for 1 month till now and 3 more weeks to go...MAth is a little hard if we are aiming for 650+...
    are you applying to Info systems(I rememeber from ur previous posts)? I have noticed that some schools ask for GRE for this course, some ask for GMAT and many consider both...so, do check that...

All the best..I am sure you will crack the GMAT:thumbsup
    Ping me if you have any questions during your PREP.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

6. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Neha I am impressed to know that you actually dedicated full month to study without any kind of break :thumbsup and this
    dedication is obvious in your score now :)

7. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Reshsabu you are facing problem even with such a good GRE score?

You will do well in GMAT also so don't loose your heart since you still have few more months to prepare....

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks. I had no option as I was already late for deadlines so had to manage studying in less time :)

9. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

It depends on the course Jini.. hope u dont mind me calling you 'Jini' :).

I am not being finicky, but the fact is that for MS-IS programs in and around my state, my GRE score is actually on the lower side. I dont even meet the cut off score in one of the universities . There are other good MS-IS programs that I can get admit to in other universities with my current GRE score, but thanks to the H4 and all the family,location and fee constraints :bowdown, applying to those is really ruled out !!

Yep.. hope so !! Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

My God, your course seem to be too competitive...I wish it's not same for my course :crazy