1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

பாட்டி சொல்லை தட்டாதே!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

பாட்டிசொல்லைதட்டாதே!

“அம்பா! பரமேஸ்வரி!! லோகமாதா!!!” என் பாட்டி, தந்தையின் தாய், குரல் கணீர் என்று கேட்கிறது. பாட்டி சாப்பாடு முடிந்து விட்டது. அடுத்து, நடுக் கூடத்தில் ஒரு பலகை கட்டை போடும் சப்தம் வரும். அதுதான் பாட்டியின் தலையணை. அவர் பிற்பகல் துயிலுக்கு தயாராகி விட்டார்.
    “யாருடா அங்கே? என் கண்ணோல்லியோ? கொஞ்சம் இங்க வாடா. பாட்டி விரலெல்லாம் கொரக்களி இழுக்கறது. கொஞ்சம் ரெண்டு நிமிஷம் மிதிக்கறயா? ரொம்ப புண்ணியமா போகும்”.
    இதுதான் நானும், என்னைவிட இரண்டு வயது பெரிய அண்ணனும் பயப்படும் விஷயம்.
    பாட்டியை பொறுத்தவரை நாங்கள் இருவரும் தான் மிதிப்பதற்கு சரியான உருவளவு கொண்டவர்கள். விரலில் ஆரம்பித்து தோளில் இருந்து கை முழுதும் பதமாக மிதித்த பிறகு, தொடை, முன்னங்கால், நெற்றி, முதுகு, பின்னங்கால், பிட்டம் (bums) என்று நீண்டு கொண்டே போகும். ஒரே சீராக மிதிக்க வேண்டும்.
    கொஞ்சம் அழுத்தி மிதித்தால் “என்னடா கண்ணா, பாட்டி மேல் கோபமா? போட்டு தொகைக்கரயே” என்பார். மெல்ல மிதித்தால் “என்னடா கண்ணா, உங்க அம்மா செரியா சாப்பாடு போடலியா?” என்று கமெண்ட் வேறு.
    விடுமுறை நாட்களில் இதை விட bore வேறெதுவும் இருக்க முடியாது. இதே மிதித்தல் இரவிலும் ஒரு முறை தொடரும் எல்லா நாட்களிலும்.
    மிதித்தால் புண்ணியம் கிடைக்குமோ இல்லையோ, மிதிக்காவிட்டால் தந்தையிடம் அடி நிச்சயம்.
    அவருக்கு தாயிடத்தில் அபார பக்தி. அவரைப் பொறுத்தவரை “தாயில் சிறந்த கோயில் இல்லை” என்பது சத்திய வாக்கு. மேலும் ஷார்ட் பியூஸ் வேறு. கேட்க வேண்டுமா?

உதாரணத்திற்கு:
    ஒரு முறை பாட்டியின் ‘மிதியல்’ அழைப்பு வந்தபோது என் அண்ணன் அவன் நண்பர்களுடன் திண்ணையில் செஸ் விளையாடிக் கொண்டிருந்தான். அந்த ஏரியாவிலேயே அவன் தான் செஸ் சாம்பியன்.
    ஆட்டம் முடியும் கட்டம். அவன் வெற்றி பெறும் தருணம். அவன் பாட்டியின் அழைப்பை கண்டு கொள்ளவில்லை.
    அடுத்து தந்தை குரல் “யாரடா அங்கே? பாட்டி கூப்பிடறா பாரு”. அதற்கும் பலனில்லை.
    தந்தையே நேரடியாக ஆட்ட களத்தில் பிரவேசித்தார்.
    அண்ணனுக்கு நாலு அடி விழுந்தது. செஸ் போர்டு துண்டு துண்டாக கிழிந்தது. நண்பர் கூட்டம் திண்ணையிலிருந்து பறந்தது.
    “உள்ளே போய் பாட்டி எதுக்கு கூப்பிட்டான்னு போய் கேளு” உத்தரவு பிறந்தது.
    அண்ணனுக்கோ அடி வாங்கும் சக்தி அதிகம். ஓரு, இரண்டு அடியில் அடி பணிய மாட்டான். தந்தை எந்த நிமிஷமும் என் பக்கம் திரும்பலாம். எனக்கோ அடி தாங்காது.
    அடுத்த நொடி பாட்டியின் கையை நான் மிதித்துக் கொண்டிருந்தேன்.

விடுமுறை நாட்களில் பாட்டி சாப்பிட உட்கார்ந்தாலே நாங்கள் எங்காவது வெளியே செல்ல முயற்சிப்போம். அந்த காலத்தில் ஏதாவது பெரியவர்கள் அனுமதி இன்றி வெளியே செல்ல இயலாது. சில சமயங்களில் அனுமதி கிடைக்கும். பல சமயங்களில் மறுக்கப்படும்.
    “இந்த வேகாத வெய்யிலிலே வெளியே போகலேன்னா என்ன குடி முழுகி போகறது? பேசாம ஏதாவது பாடத்தெ ரிவைஸ் பண்ணு” என உத்தரவு வரும்.
    ‘பாடமா? பாட்டியா?’ என்ற சிக்கலில் மாட்டுவோம்.
    ஒரு வழியாக அந்த கால கட்டம் ஒரு முடிவிற்கு வந்தது. எங்கள் பாட்டி மீண்டும் கிராமம் செல்ல விரும்பி அத்தை வீட்டிற்கு குடி பெயர்ந்தார்.
    ஒரு வகையில் எங்களுக்கும் நிம்மதி தான். ஆனால் செஸ் போர்ட் போனதோ போனதுதான்.
    அந்த நாட்களில் இருந்தே என் மனதின் அடித்தளத்திலும் ஒரு நப்பாசை. எனக்கும் ஒரு பேரன் வந்தால் இந்த ‘மிதியல்’ பணிவிடை அவனிடமிருந்து பெற்று அனுபவிக்க வேண்டும் என்று.
    நான் இப்போது பணியிலிருந்து ஓய்வு பெற்று சென்னையில் வாழ்கிறேன். இரண்டு மாதங்களுக்கு முன் என் மகள் வயிற்றுப் பேரன் விடுமுறைக்காக இங்கிலாந்தில் இருந்து வந்திருந்தான். அவனுக்கு ஏழு வயது. அவன் தாய் தந்தை இருவரும் டாக்டர்கள்.
    அவனை அழைத்து, எங்கள் பாட்டிக்கு எவ்வளவு அன்போடு நாங்கள் ‘மிதியல் சேவை’ செய்வோம் என்றும் அதனால் மிக்க புண்ணியம் உண்டு என்றும் விளக்கினேன். பொறுமையாக எல்லாவற்றையும் கேட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்தான். எனக்கு உள்ளூர ஒருநம்பிக்கை.
    “என் விரல்களை கொஞ்சம் மிதிக்கிறாயா?” என மெள்ள ஆரம்பித்தேன்.
    “Thatha, nowadays there are very many compression equipment’s for such services in UK. Shall I ask mom to get you one?”
    “No, Arjun. It is a pleasure for thatha if you could do it yourself, you see.”
    “But it is not a pleasure for me. It would be boring. At my age I am supposed to go out and play. By the way, Thatha, is child labor not banned in India?”
    “No darling. This is no labour. It is just a display of your love for thatha”
    “I am hardly seven. Any work I am forced to perform is child labor.”
    “What is labor?” I asked.
    “Any physical work that forces the child to look for a way out. What you propose is in fact exploitation.”
    “How do you call it exploitation?”
    “Then what? I would always think that the toffees or goodies that you get me would stop if I refuse. Isn’t it exploitation? It is a forced child exploitation.
    Please be careful so that others outside do not get to know that you are trying to exploit me”
    I liked his logic and line of thinking at the age of seven.
    My daughter, who was listening to this conversation from a distance, butted in,
    “ஏம்ப்பா அவனை பிடிச்சு தொந்தரவு பண்ட்ரேள்? இப்படியெல்லாம் பண்ணினால் அடுத்த தடவை இந்தியாவுக்கே வரமாட்டான். If you are so particular I shall send you a compression machine through some friends coming to India.”
    In our generation, parents supported their parents and physically threatened their offspring, if they don’t obey. Now, it is just the reverse, I find.
    “பாட்டி சொல்லை தட்டாதேயிலிருந்து, பேரனிடம் நீ முட்டாதே” வரை காலம் மாறிப் போச்சு.
    I think my generation’s timing was wrong. When we were small we lived under fear of our dad. When old, even my grand child of seven is able to threaten me and go scot free. My only consolation is that I have my sambandhi, sailing in the same boat, whom I meet regularly and we crib about the current generation. We keep saying that the olden day’s were golden days.
    Was it really so? I am not sure. But it sounds good in our discussions.

——————
    Cheers,
    RRG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    kkrish likes this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:thumbsup:
    I too remember walking on my granddad's back when I was six years old.
    I hated it because first I had to balance myself at the uneven surface, then my feet would tingle when I contact bare skin here and there.
    Of course the third, " pressure not enough" was a scary one; I did not want to be in the healines as the youngest person to stomp an elder person to heaven.

I have to wait to see what my grandchild would say. You have raised my curiosity now!

Enjoyed the humor laden thread. Worthy of nomination; unfortunately it is under regional languages.

3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks kkrish.
    Nice of you to feel that the story was worthy of nomination.:worship2:
    Nominations are incidental. I had over five of my stories nominated in a single month few years back. What I really look for while writing a story is my personal satisfaction and a smile on the face of the reader, who cares to read it.
    Pleased to that note at least one person outside my household had suffered the same ordeal.:blush:
    I didn’t elaborate the ritual; but you said it. While walking on the uneven surface itself called for expert balancing, especially when patti decides to subtly change her position and offer a different angle for the press, what we dreaded most was the ‘once more’ requests.
    Thanks for your comments and sharing your experiences.
    Cheers,

kkrish likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I have often noticed bamboo poles hanging from the ceiling of indian homes. These are smooth poles, with the knots on the bamboo sanded away to be very smooth throughout the length of the pole. When I asked what these are for.... I was given a demo: For drying long sarees, and dothi's in a single layer. Hung on one of these poles, in the summer time, a saree dries in less than ten minutes.

I have seen such poles in Indonesian body massage salons; but used for an entirely different purpose. A small framed girl will hold on to the pole, and walk on the back of a client. The girl can adjust her weight by pulling herself up ( like exercise pull-ups) or letting herself be loose in her grip of the bamboo pole overhead.
    This massage technique is now imported to the west. But we lack appropriate slender masseuses. We just use hefty women, the only ones we've got:facepalm::facepalm:. Very scary to be underfoot of one of these women:

[​IMG] upload_2018-12-6_10-14-53.jpeg

kkrish and Rrg like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Now you tell me. :) Tsk tsk, tsk ... all my six-year-old days wasted.:coldsweat:

Those bamboos, if they were brought down to my height when I was six years old would certainly have helped a ton!

They are a brilliant idea.
    They are load bearing and would have assisted greatly not only in balancing but also in controlling the amount of pressure the "stomper" puts on the "stomped".

Also, I would have held on to the bamboos and pulled my feet up and glided over the non-towel covered-bare-skin areas. Even the memory of my tiny feet squirming when I touched the skin makes me go "bleh".

Seriously speaking, the masseuses' size should not be the problem because the bamboo takes the "load" and the pressure can be adjusted.
    We just need to be in the lady's good books :D

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

OK... now I am telling you about this other thing....
    It has become more popular to get package holidays to SE-Asia from Chennai, BLR and HYD. Singapore, Malaysia or Thai is the usual destination. There is a daytrip from Singapore to Indonesia (Bintan Island) by Catamaran Ferries. Plenty of reasonably priced Spa locations on Bintan. Go ahead and ask for Ashiatsu massage, with young girls holding on to bamboo poles.. They would also do facials, and aromatic baths etc..

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Amulet .
    Will add it to my bucketlist.