1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

டிகிரி Coffee - காப்பி

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, May 5, 2020.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:டிகிரி coffee :hello:

. I am from a village near kumbakonam and lot of our relatives lived in Kumbakonam at one point of time.
    So what I am narrating is what I heard in those days. This named coffee origin is pre independence period. Only one hotel used to advertise their coffee this way.
    Coffee used to be available only for limited hours in morning, afternoon and evening.

Prepared from coffee seeds mixed in a proportion only known to the proprietor. Filter is used for getting decotion.

Only first fill. Only cows milk used. The owner had dozens if cows for milking. Milk not over heated such that cream does not separate. It was British era. The tashildar or revenue officer while touring the area was served with the coffee from this hotel.

He liked it so much that he issued a *DECREE* that henceforth coffee should be served only in this fashion.

Armed with the letter the hotel owner started to write டிகிரி காபி . Later when people started to write in english *'Decree'* became 'Degree'.
    Other hotel owners also copied the word not the quality.

kaluputti, Amica and iyerviji like this.

2. Thyagarajan

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Thygarajan,
    As college student I used to wake up with the aroma of freshly roasted and ground filter coffee.What better way you can have than to begin the day.The antithesis of this is the coffee served by your customers in rural area straight from a sugar factory.I used to enjoy MAKIATO prepared with beans from wild coffee bushes in Ethiopia. Civet coffee is considered to be the best.It is partially digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by Asian palm civet[Indonesia] The cherries are fermented as they pass through a civets intestines and add to the aroma.This is considered to be one of the most expensive coffee in the world.This coffee was served to me by a Gujarathi coffee trader after explanation.I politely stuck to Makiato.SLN

kaluputti and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:@sln
    Thanks Sir for your response with high quality coffee flavour .

5. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

So this the why it is called 'degree'copy? I have heard my gran, she occupied the kitchen, mentioned this many times, but not even bothered to know the significance or meaning...am sure she wouldnt have been able to also being an illiterate scholar.When I got married she wiilingly gave me the manual coffee grinding machine, and which I promptly used later for grinding flours, since I was having difficulty in getting raw seeds as also my husband thought it would be easier for 'him' to get powder....:angry:.I lived in Thanjavur for many years but though I have seen name boards like, Kumbakonam degree coffee' or so, havent had coffee outside .At least as of now, I havent given up the filter and my first morning routine starts with filtering fresh decoction..Also Ii dread... man getting up earlier, since before I know, there would be instant powder mixed with hot water waiting for me....:triumph:, just the two of us , so no point in making fresh...!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

:fearscream: :eek::oops:No way sln, let me live with my own 'Leo"..coffee..:yum::yum:..!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:I explored further about civet and it’s alleged connection to sarc COVID.
    2. With over one million viewers, this link has gathered hundreds of feed backs some very thought provoking and funny too.
    Here to go to link: