Is investing in Gold better than investing in shares?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by NainikaSomaiya, Oct 23, 2009.

1. minnu2006

minnu2006 New IL'ite

gold as investment

hi,

has anyone bought gold coins as investment? i am curious to know who you would sell the gold to when the prices go up; do the jewellers buy gold from individuals? i heard somewhere that they dont; they are only interested in exchanging old jewellery for new. please share your experiences.

2. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Do anybody really book profits with gold investments?

Hi,

Investing in gold is part of our culture and heritage.

In fact ,we treat it as the only kind of wealth which we can wear ,enjoy,

boost our status and show off.

I have no arguments about that.

But ,I want to know if anyone actually sells off gold

(not commodity trading) and books profits?

I personally feel- there is a lot of sentimental value we attach to gold

in case of necessity-we sell our shares,happily sell a plot of land and book

profits and channelise it into other avenues,preclose a FD-

But ,Gold goes out of our hands ONLY as a distress sale -when nothing

else is left.And the minute you try to encash gold ornaments-their purity

is slashed down along with the rate- coins and bars have better value but

even they are bought back at a slight discount,I hear-if at all a good

jeweller is ready to pay cash for gold it is much lower

than the market rate-even banks who

sell gold coins do not have buyback clause-maybe you can pledge it

and take it back-but successful,happy profit booking...

I dont see anyone do it...

But it is a necessity so we continue to buy,hoard and cherish it.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Do anybody really book profits with gold investments?

Other day I had the exact discussion with my one of my friend in India. Finally my take on this was...Gold bought in the form of jewellery has emotions and special feelings attached to it. So I dont look at gold jewellery in teh form of investment (unless as you mentioned its like the last thing on my mind if I have no other option except to scrape this one out to save our life..) But if we really think of investing in gold with no attachments I would suggest buying gold coins as anyways we wont wear them or take them out. instead of cash we have it in the form of gold coin.

however another side to it is....my friend bought a gold coin from dubai airport store, and they are attaching a hook to the coin and the coin also comes in various forms like a pendant (diamond shape, or square or oval etc) so you can just slide it in your chain ) my friends mom has been wearing the 2 gold coins they bought as a pendant.

Above all why not invest in gold shares which is much better option rather than having the gold physically. again the question of how to keepit safe comes into the picture. but with gold shares we can just buy and let them grow over years with no worries.

4. Devinaren

Devinaren New IL'ite

InvestSure GOS- Gold, Options and stocks investment

InvestSure GOS

What is InvestSure GOS: This is investment strategy formulated to make smart investment in various financial sectors for low risk and decent return. We know that stock market investment is risky and at times returns can be negative if the stocks are bought at high rate. Investment in stock market in form of buying equity stocks works only in BULL market. We are in the world of uncertainty today as price of various commodities/stocks fluctuate and its very risky to invest in stock market without proper knowledge. InvestSure GOS is investment plan in which investment is divided in gold, stocks and options. This way one can make money in bull/bear/volatile market. The investment is gold/stocks/options is made based on certain underlying criteria and investment is varied at various times. For instance, if prices of stock remains too high, investment in gold or options will be high and very low in stocks, similarly if stock market is low, investment will be more in stocks than gold. So in this way dynamic investment is made based on market condition. This strategy is formulated in such way that one can make short-term, medium-term and long term gain.

Let us review InvestSure GOS in detail:

GoldBeeS: Gold Benchmark Exchange Traded Scheme (Gold BeES) offers investors an innovative, cost-efficient and secure way to access the gold market. Gold BeES is intended to offer investors a means of participating in the gold bullion market without taking physical delivery of gold, and to buy and sell on National Stock Exchange (NSE).

Rest in next post

Invest Wisey and Relax.
    Devi :thumbsup

<!--[endif]--><!--[if mso & !supportInlineShapes & supportFields]><?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shape style="WIDTH: 6in; HEIGHT: 6in" id=_x0000_i1025 type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata cropbottom="65520f" croptop="-65520f"></v:imagedata></v:shape><![endif]-->

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
  5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Re: InvestSure GOS- Gold, Options and stocks investment

Over weekend, I was browsing for some information on investing in gold and guess what I gathered ....

We have to possess atelast 50% of the gold physically (in the form of coins or bars or ornaments) (depending on how much we want to invest in gold)

Also they suggested a bank (will search it and get the bank name) where you can deposit money in your account and they would show what is the amt of gold you possess for that particular amount you deposited in teh bank i.e if you deposit 1000$ it would show how many grams of gold you own as per the money you deposited on that particular day. (depending on whether the price goes up or down it would show the gold in weight you own) when we want to take out the money or close account they would give gold instead of money...I loved this concept because if its shares etc there would be trading fee , here its more like we buying gold but putting it in a bank.

6. chamuv

chamuv New IL'ite

Dear Devi

that was a great message on investsure GOS. As i am new to investments, if i need to invest this scheme, what kind of investments and how should i choose. Your guidance will help the new investors like us a lot.

thanks
    chamu

7. sujavinay

sujavinay Senior IL'ite

hi,
    if u r not to good in playing the market, i recommend u to invest in gold.
    if u r buying gold do not buy jewellery gold because jewellery come with hidden costs for making and wastage.
    u wont multiply ur money much by buying jewellery gold.
    buy gold in the form of biscuits/ cut biscuits.
    coins from banks also come with a heavy tax tag.

8. javatester

javatester New IL'ite

Hi,

Can any one tell me about Gold Bonds??
    How to invest money in Goldbonds??

9. shaishav

shaishav Silver IL'ite

I believe that everyone must invest in different investment options as per his/her risk appetite.

So, if someone is young say around 25-30 they should invest in equities heavily for a long term. A good investment option would be doing systematic investment through mutual funds which have a track record of atleast 8-10 years.

If someone is looking at investing in gold then the best option is to invest through gold ETFs(exchange traded funds). By doing so there will be no cost like making charges, wastage etc which actually brings down the selling price by 10-20% per gram. Also, no one sells gold it is transferred from generation to generation so I don't consider gold as an investment if physically bought. Tell me how many of you have actually sold your gold in last 10, 15, 20 years...Very few or may be none.

10. Devinaren

Devinaren New IL'ite

Dear chamu,

You can contact Mr. Rathore to know more about investsure GOS. I am sorry that I cannot give contact details here on this forum. You can contact him by googling the word
    Regards,
    Devi

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010