1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Complexion and Hair

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sujana123, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Sujana123

Sujana123 New IL'ite

Hello All,

Firstly I have gone through some posts here and thanks for the wonderful world of ILs. I understand that color, complexion etc. are not that important when compared to the inner beauty and believe that kids should be brought up to show the importance of character over complexion.

My concern here though is that my son is very fair, has a thick hair on his head while my daughter has dark complexion, hair over the body, and has think hair on her head. Son is older. My concern is on the comparison due to less diff. in age between them and some people have already commented on her though she is only 3 years now. My husband is fair and am medium. My son is fairer than my husband and my daughter is dark than me. Both were under the bili light when born due to jaundice for 4-5 days but somehow she went much darker. I do not want her, she being a girl to get any complex due to this. She is very very smart and at most times smarter than her brother, but likes all dresses jewellery a lot since she was a baby.

My MIL used to apply almond oil on her daily and then use the nalugu pindi and then Aveeno soap for bath. around the first year and later months or so, my daughters complexion turned very good , better than medium. But after 2 years when she started going to school, don't know due to outside activity, she is much darker now. Also we do not apply the massage and nalugu everyday and only 2 times ina week or so.

I want to get regular with the massage and here is my question:

1. I read here that mix of 'cream of milk and powdered kus kus and badam powder and kasturi manjal' works good. Can I try that on my daughter alternate days or daily? She is 3 years now. Is this better over almond oil and nalugu on top of that or can I alternate between both? Any tips to get her complexion back to how she was at 1 year - better than medium complexion.

2. I want to know how to increase her hair growth on the head. What do peoiple in US do for their kids? Can I apply oil everyday even though cannot wash everyday? Which oil is good for growth? I thought shaving her head often might help, but no barber here in US would do a complete shave, they only use clipper which cuts hair and that does not help I believe in increasing growth. Also now she has long and thick growth and am little scared to cut it bcos it might take long to grow again.

Lastly, thanks for your time and my effort here is only to try anything so she does not get to hear any comments or worry much about them I probably would not have cared much if she was the only one, it is only due to the contrast with her brother. I do plan to make ita point to tell her the importance of brain over the appearance but do not want any of my kids to get these thoughts into their brain that one looks better than the other.

Thanks all!

2. Sujana123

Sujana123 New IL'ite

ILs,

Any replies or ideas? Just wondering so many reads and from your past exp.s if you can suggest any? Thanks so much!

3. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Hi,

My baby girl has the same problem as described by you...She is much younger though...only 2 months old...

She was born premature n was kept under the bili lights as well..Her complexion has also turned darker by the day...n she has no hair on the forehead...only on the sides...i am using almond oil on her..

i guess no one is sure about any solution n hence no replies...also not much can be done about complexion n hair apart from a good diet...

Since your daughter is going out...maybe she can use a sunscreen...to prevent tanning...

regards

4. nehajagadeesh

nehajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

when my DD was born i too had the same problem . but as per my mom suggested to use jhonson baby oil for massage and jhonson baby soap .to my surprise she turned to be so fair no one belived it coz she was a bit dark color like my hubby when she was born . then later when she started going to school i stopped using it , gradually she turned dark :hide:now she is 7yrs old and i'm still giving her massage in the oil for 2 times in a week and still using baby products for her.

but that's not all , my lil one is just about 2months old but allergic to jhonson baby products . after using these ,:rantLO lost the color and skin was so rough ,i'm using dabur lal oil and pears junior .

so see different skin needs different products :bonk............

5. sahithyakayu

sahithyakayu New IL'ite

Hi this is sahithya
    even i faced the same prob with my kid but a ctnuous usage of castor oil will show u a good result
    it can also be applied for eyelashes and eyebrows
    vanta avadam

6. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi,

I believe it is the genes that decide the complexion factor. And also climate conditions will affect the colour. We are very lucky to have this 'Indian' skin colour. And also bcoz of this we don't have much skin problems like most of the europeans. My elder child (girl) is darker than my younger daughter. My younger child was also kept under bili light after birth. But it doesn't make any difference in her colour. So don't worry about skin colour, if you are following a good skin care routine for your kids. Guide them to clean and moisturize skin and apply UV protection cream or lotion.

:bonk