1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

All about Canada

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by marytharaken, Dec 21, 2009.

1. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum, I am a PR applicant in the final stages of processing, I expect to be in Canada by mid 2010.

I have lots of queries about Canada, I have applied for Ontario as PR, as suggested by my agent.

After applying I have been going through different websites related to canada, I have got some basic information about the other provinces, but nothing can match the real experiences of people actually living there.

I would like to know about the other provinces in canada, its weather condition, job market and things like that.........

What is the condition of immigrants from india, do they get job easily, roughly some idea about the life there, what we should bring from india, about the benefits an immigrant is entitled to and also the working hours and working atomosphere.

I ambasically from accounts field, do you think Indian qualification will be sufficient or should I do some furtehr course from there, will I get an accounts job right away, or do I have to work in smaller jobs to susutain myself.

Please reply and thanks

Mary

2. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi Indian in Canada,

No reply after long time. Do post if you have any info for new immigrants. Really it would be a lot helpful for others like me.

3. depma

depma New IL'ite

Mary,
    Keep watching for the updates. I will respond back soon wtih some good information. Am trying to look for a pdf document that tells you what to expect. Since you still have about 6 months, pls give me a couple of days and will respond back in detail.

Deepa.

4. depma

depma New IL'ite

Mary,
    Please see the attached link. This link here has some useful information. I will repost some of the other questions you have asked in a couple of days.

INDcanadians: Guiding Newcomers: Newcomer

Deepa.

5. depma

depma New IL'ite

6. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

Thanks a lot for the response.

The indcanadian........ link gives out info on pretty much everything, never came upon that link while searching the net. Nowadays whenever I am on the internet, its like Canada, canada and canada, even on google earth.

The other link on Ontario is also good, but what do you think deepa, most of the people are telling me don't go to Toronto, either try Alberta or Saskatchewan. But heard the winter is pretty harsh there, but seems lots of opportunities for immigrants. I very well know that the initial years will be pretty hard, and you cant expect to get everything handed out to you on a silver platter.

I am coming with family, my husband and daughter who is 5 1/2 years old. So would like to settle somewhere where we both will be able to get jobs and have good schools around.

By the way what are the timings for school, do the working couple leave their children in day care facility after school. I have heard in Canada it is illegal to leave children below 12 years alone in the house. If there are day care facilities, is it a paid service or not?If yes can you give me a rough idea bout the cost?

I know I am being a pest asking you so many questions, you see I don't have any relative in Canada, that's why I am asking all my queries on this forum.

Once again thanks a lot and looking forward for your PDF document. Take your own time to respond and Wish You A Very Happy New Year.

Mary

7. sathisiva

sathisiva New IL'ite

hi mary,

i am sathya from chennai.
    could you please guide me regarding the immigration to canada. what are procedures, the real immigration agencies whom we can contact. i am basically a structural engineer and my husband is a software engineer. could you guide me for the canada imigaration?

sathya

8. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi Sathya,

Would love to help you with whatever info I have.

I am not aware of immigration agents in Chennai, but sure there must be quite a few reliable ones, please check locally .

Regarding other details please visit the website www.cic.gc.ca , there you will get details regarding requirements and the steps to apply in different category.

Do let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Mary

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Mary,

Since you are saying that you have an accounts background, I would certainly suggest Toronto. Saskatchewan is already saturated. Your best option would be Toronto. Having said that, you dont actually have to live in Toronto. Find work there and you can stay in relatively less expensive place around Toronto. There are Go trains and other means of transportation to take you around.
    I have no idea about schools...not yet. Maybe a parent can guide you in that aspect.
    I woudnt say it is EASY to get a job. But its not going to be too difficult either. Just be prepared for low-pay in the initial months. there are many consultancies too which can hep you find a job. When you get the PR let me know, I will see if I can refer you to any one. I am also in Accounting field. I did not have to take any additional courses to get a good job.

usually the daycare service cost would depend on how much you are making. You can look at the below link for more information. usually its about $1000 per month for a 5 year old. For infants it would be more.

211Toronto.ca - Featured Search Results

Hope this helps

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You dont have to go through a consultant to get to Canada. Check out the official government of Canada's website for immigration. You will find ALL the info here.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Good luck.