Karnataka Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by rehanak, Aug 20, 2005.

1. anurekha

anurekha New IL'ite

Dodga and Badnekayi palya

Hello,

This is not a recipe from Mangalore but some part of Karnataka. I learnt it from my MIL and have been making it ever since then. Can be made as breakfast or evening tiffin. Its good.

Dodga

Rawa(thin one)1cup
    Onion sliced - 1big
    Green chillies -2-3 small
    Grated coconut just a handful
    salt to taste
    Oil

Add all the ingredients to the rawa and soak the rawa in water for 15-20 mnts. Once it is soaked just mix the mixture well with ur hands so that the onion slices are seperated. The mixture should be slightly watery.

Apply good amt of oil on tawa. Now take a handful of the soaked mixture and spread it on a tawa using ur hand. See that the layer is not too thick otherwise it becomes too hard and stiff.

Once the dodga bakes from top put sufficient oil on top and turn it. Once the bottom surface turns brownish remove it and serve with Badne kayi palya

The second time when u start spreading the batter use a bowl of water to just dip ur hand while spreading as the tawa will be too hot.

Badnekayi Palya(Brinjal Curry)
    Brinjals(purple or green) - 4 or 5 medium sized
    Onion sliced -1 big
    Tomato -1 big
    Capsicum - 1 small
    Ginger chopped or paste 1 tbsp
    Garlic chopped or mashed - 6 or 8 kali
    Garam masala -1 tsp
    Haldi pdr - 1tsp
    sambar Pdr - 1- 1 1/2 tbsp
    Jaggery
    salt to taste
    Coriander lvs chopped

Mustard seeds, Curry lvs for seasoning

Cut brinjals into cubes and put it in water. Cut also the cubes of tomato and capsicum.

Take oil in the pan and season with the above ingredients. Put the galic pods mashed. Let it change colour. then add onion sliced and capsicum. Saute well.

Add the Badnekayi and mix well. Saute for a minute. then add tomato and mix well. Add all the powders and the jaggery as well. Chk the taste. The taste should be spicy-sweet-sour . Basically katta-meeta taste. If u need it more sweet u can add more of jaggery. Add a little water and mix well. Cover and cook till the brinjals are baked completely.

Tha palya should be slightly watery and not fully dry.

Garnish with coriander lvs and serve hot with Dodga.

* This Palya goes very well with Chapathi, Akki roti and also with Rice.

Regards
    Anurekha

2. anurekha

anurekha New IL'ite

Gasi

Hello again,

This a Udupi dish learnt from my mother.

Gasi
    Chick peas or dried peas or black eyed peas.

To Wet Roast
    Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
    Urad Dal - 2tsp
    methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
    red chillies - 4 or 5

Coconut grated a handful

Tamarind
    salt to taste
    coconut oil for roasting and sesoning

Mustard seeds and curry lvs for seasoning

Soak the peas for a day and cook.

Wet roast the above all 4 ingredients in little cococonut oil in medium heat.

Grind the roasted masala with grated coconut.

Put the masala to the cooked peas and pour a bit of water and mix well. Let it boil for a minute or two. Add salt to taste.

Season with mustard seeds and curry lvs.

Goes well with Rice.

* A slight variation here. This gasi can also be used in making Uddina bonda(ambode) gasi which is usually served in marriages. uddina bonda is soaked in this gravy . Make the normal urad dal bonda or wada and put it in the gravy.

* The gravy is prepared in same way but without any peas and Instead of methi seeds use jeera in the same measurement. But do not fry Jeera too much while wet roasting.

Its really mouth watering to have this ambode gasi or is also called bajji.

Regards,
    Anurekha

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Gul Pavte unde

This is a very simple sweet especially made as an offering to Lord Rama on saturdays when many women read Sree Rama kathay.

Wheat flour - 1 cup
    Jaggery powder – ½ cup (for medium sweetness, for extra sweet 3/4<SUP>th</SUP> cup)
    Milk – 1 cup
    Ghee – 2 tbsp

• In a pan heat 1 tbsp. ghee and add the wheat flour and roast on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till a fine aroma exudes. Empty the roasted flour on a plate and put the pan back on the flame.
    • Put the powdered jaggery in the pan and sprinkle little water (just one sprinkle)
    • When the jaggery melts completely, simmer the flame and add the wheat flour, milk, remaining ghee immediately and mix well. This step needs quick action; a delay may lead to lumps
    • The whole mixture will become like a ball in just few seconds.
    • Switch off the fire.
    • Wet your hands and make lemon size balls. Best eaten when hot.

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

F.b.

Dear Prathi,

had prepared mudhu palya, soppu thovve & stuffed brinjal (dry) masala, etc.
    all came out perfect.
    mudhu palya was the tastiest of all.
    stuffed brinjal being my favourite has to be good.

only now do I realise that the masalas I was using wasn't correct for stuffed brinjal.

my hubby used to tell me to prepare thovve & I really used to wonder what it is.
    was always unsure if I did it the right way but now with your recipes to help, I'm so releived.

thank you dear for sharing these traditional recipes.

5. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Meena

Dear Meena,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad u liked those recipes. During raw mango season, add one chopped raw mango to soppu tovve. The taste will be unbeatable.

6. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Huli Pudi

This is ideal for making huli when either you dont have time to grind or you want to cut down on the coconut.

Dhania/corriander seeds - 1 cup
    Gram dal - 3/4th cup
    Urad dal - 1/2 cup
    Jeerige/cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
    Cinnamon - 2"
    Hing - 1/2 tsp
    Red Chillies - 100 gms
    Grated copra - 1/4 copra

• In a tsp of oil roast all the ingredients except the copra well.
    • Dry roast the copra separately.
    • Powder all together and store in air-tight container.
    • Use 2 to 3 tsp of this powder for making huli as given in the thread before.
    • Use this powder instead of the ground ingredients. Rest all the same procedure. Click here to refer the huli recipe
    • You can also put this powder to rice with some salt and ghee and eat. It tastes great!
    • You can use just a spoon of this powder in vangibaath along with vangibath powder to give more flavour.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  7. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Gasi - feedback

Hello Anurekha,

I tried ur Gasi yesterday and it was very tasty. But i have a few doubts.
    U had not mentioned the consistency, and i haven't tasted this before, so i made to the consistency of huli. But i was wondering if it had to be thicker like gojju. The taste was good but i needed this clarification.
    One more things is i have heard of badane gasi, can we do that according to the gasi recipe u have given?
    Thanks for a good one!!

8. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Nucchunde

This is a traditional snack which is made on some festivals also.

Gram dal – 2 cups
    Green chillies – 5 to 6 (or to taste)
    Grated coconut – 3/4th cup
    Salt to taste
    Hing = a pinch
    Chopped coriander – 1 tablespoon

Wash and Soak the gram dal in water for 2 hours.

Drain and grind with the other ingredients with minimum water.

The mixture should not be watery and one should be able to shape it with hands.

Make oval shaped balls with the mixture and steam in the idli stand for 10 minutes.

Serve hot with a dollop of ghee on the top.

9. anurekha

anurekha New IL'ite

Gasi consistency

Hi prathi,

Glad that u tried my recipe. Gasi consistency should be slightly thicker than huli but thinner than gojju. It depends, as some like some like it a more like Huli.

As for Badne gasi is concerened i am really not sure whether it is done in the same way. In fact even i have not tried it before. So i really cannot comment on that.

Regards,
    Anurekha

[

QUOTE=prathi]Hello Anurekha,

I tried ur Gasi yesterday and it was very tasty. But i have a few doubts.
    U had not mentioned the consistency, and i haven't tasted this before, so i made to the consistency of huli. But i was wondering if it had to be thicker like gojju. The taste was good but i needed this clarification.
    One more things is i have heard of badane gasi, can we do that according to the gasi recipe u have given?
    Thanks for a good one!![/QUOTE]

10. anurekha

anurekha New IL'ite

Awalakki Uppukari

Hello everybody,

This is a evening snack item made out of chiwda(thin type). Very easy to make, light and delicious to eat. i often make this at home as its quite easy and fast to make. Make and let me know ladies how u liked it.

Ingredients:

Chiwda 2-3 handful
    Grated coconut 3-4 tbsp
    Sarru pdr or rasam pdr 1-11/2 tsp
    chopped onions 1 big
    chopped green chillies 2
    salt to taste

Seasoning - Coconut oil or any other oil, Urad dal, mustard seeds, curry lvs, Huri kadle(Putani kadle or chana).
    Huri kadle is optional.

Method
    Mix chiwda, grated coconut, sarru pdr and the green chillies.
    Mix well with your hand. Do not add any water.
    Season with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry lvs.

Saar pdr can be added more or less as per ur taste. It should be had as soon as its made or else it looses its crispiness.

Variation - A slight variation here but this also tastes good.

Mix all the ingredients and keep covered for 5 mnts so that it becomes a bit soft. No saar pdr is added to this. Season as mentioned above. Add a tsp of sugar too.

Have a nice day.
    Anurekha