1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are maternal grandparents more attached

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sricharani, Dec 17, 2009.

1. sricharani

sricharani Senior IL'ite

Malyatha.. that's an interesting study... Or could it be simply that my DS was with me in my parent's place for 9 months since he was born and then we left to UK. I would have hardly stayed for a month with my DS in my IL's place. Could it be bcoz of Valatha Pasam ( Affectionate towards the GC whom you brought up ) or simply could it be the distance that keeps them away from him.....In anycase i would love my kid to get equal affection from both sides...

2. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Aha... I think I get it. Sricharani, it could be because your in-laws never got a chance to bond with your son that they are not close to him.

If you want him to have equal affection from both sides, then you should make sure that your in-laws get a lot of time with your son. When you visit India, even if you don't stay with them, leave your son with your in-laws and your husband. Once your husband leaves, then you should visit your in-laws as often as possible to ensure that they have a lot of time with your son. It is only time that will permit them to bond with him. If they have never had any extended time with him, then how can they get close to him?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. priya5474

priya5474 New IL'ite

As long as I know. During my childhood I have seen many grandchildrens being very close to Paternal grandparents . I strongly believed - "Paternal grandparents strongly believe that only their own son's will be their future life support and that they have the responsibility and ownership to take care of and love the son's kids alone.

But now the situations are different and my childhood impressions have been proved wrong as it my maternal Support through which I"m sustaining in my carreer. My kids are immensely loved by my parents. It is not that my DH parents are not loving the kids. My MIL loves the kids but she has her own problems for not being able to take care of my kids or show her love very often. But my kids love my MIL , BIL Family too.

Wherever there is good support be it paternal or maternal , mutually the grandchildren tend to bend that side a little extra . This doesn't mean that the kids will forget the other side. It is in the hands of the parents to make the kids treat both sides parents as good and make them feel that both of them are willing to take care of them and that one them not taking care is having some genuine issues (Even if it is a lie...)
    This way, we won't sow any grudge in young one's mind.

This is a situational thing , can't really generalize.

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes ILs are hesitant to talk or insist on seeing grand kids several times a week on webcam , the DIL may see it as interference and they can be called nosy ILs !
    This is also a fact that a DD would love to be given advice and guidance by her parents about kids etc. but would not like the same from ILs specially MIL.
    Similarly it is easier to take care of DDs kids than DSs kids as DIL may see several flaws but will overlook her own parents shortcomings.
    The OP has compared the grandparents love for her kids , giving full marks to her own parents ,maybe there are other reasons as cited by others.