1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of living

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ashwinispace, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ashwinispace

ashwinispace New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am ashwini, done B.B.M. and M.B.A. in Finance, in bangalore I am working as a Sr. Finance analyst in a Captive BPO (KPO), my husband is also working as a software engineer now we are planning to shift to US or Canada. and we are trying through some consultancies for work permit and job and my husband is getting offer for salary $60,000 per annum.

Can anyone please advise is the amount sufficient to survive both of us. We do not have anyone out there to know details about the rent for house etc.,

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi Ashwini,

It all depends on the state/place where you are planning to move in. Some cities like the San Francisco bay Area, Los Angeles, New York city etc have a very high cost of living compared to many other states in the country. Health insurance, auto insurance, rent etc varies a lot.

3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Which place in U.S are you moving too?Would be able to help if you know the state.

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ashwini,

I think this will be just sufficient for you both , if you live the bare minimum.

Monthly salary will be 5k
    in that 30% taxes get cut approx.
    that would give you 3.5k
    Groceries - approx 400$ per month
    Rent - ranges from 400 to 1500 per month for 1bhk depending on the state.

other misc expesnse..

Finally if you live bare minimum without extra luxury , u can save almost 700 to 800$ per month..

this is just a rough calculation to help you to give an idea.
    Please do not decide based on my calculations.

5. ashwinispace

ashwinispace New IL'ite

Hi Ranchu,

This is what I expected.

Thank you very much.

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Ashwini

I am assuming you are trying to get H1 sponsored through a consulting company in US. Right?

Initially when they apply for H1B that is the best salary they can quote to the USCIS based on the experience your husband has. However if he is able to find a better contract with better billing rate, usually he may get a better/lower rate depending on the prevailing market conditions at that time when you move to US and he starts working.The monthly payroll/your pay chque can be more depending on how much is the billing rate per hour

I think unless your husband gets a job i.e he should be able to get a consulting assigment with some client, your employer wont pay you salary every month. He would just give you some maintenace expenses and sometimes they allow you to stay in the companys guesthouse.

I think you can discuss this more in immigration matters forum as to how a H1 B sponsorship works, what happens after H1 is approved etc..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. ashwinispace

ashwinispace New IL'ite

Hi Srividya,

Yes. You are right and we are in the initial stages.

Thanks for your useful information.