Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 3)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleela

sleela New IL'ite

dear Chitra,

thank u soooo much for the reply....traced the novel thattai...this weekend going to try.....today for karthigai deepam, made sweet & salt appams as told by u in the snack recipes...came out well..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou,Leela,for the appam FBs!
    Your avatar is interesting!!:thumbsup
    Love,
    Chithra

3. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitramma

Happy Karthigai to you and family & thalai karthigai wishes to Thanu & Ajit.

made corn pulao for dinner and had it with tomato thokku as i have stocked up thokku. both were tasty.

4. Winniethepooh

Winniethepooh Senior IL'ite

dearest aunty,

yest nite dinner was rava idli with hotel sambar. idlis as usual were so tasty and hotel sambar was just like served in hotels. i made quite a large quantity and had it with kutty idlis for breakfast today. it was yummiest. the idlis were malligaipoo.
    all the credit goes to you

thanks

love,
    winnie

5. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra Amma,

Today made Neiyappam & uppappam for Karthigai. Neiyappam...... tastes more divine every time i make it. i specially got a electric hand mixer for this..... s today was the inaugration..... and the appam came extra soft and spongy. I made by ur traditional way of Pagu .

Uppappam was good too.... with the tanginess from buttermilk and its a quick recipe without much preparation. Thanks chitra ammma.

Love
    vaidehi

6. Chitvish

Thanks, P. Wishes will be conveyed to Thanu & Ajit.
    Corn pulao with tomato thokku is a novel combo!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Vini, the Winnie, idli galore?? Looks like!!
    Yes, this sambar can be preserved for 2,3 days since it goes with most of the tiffins!:-D
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Dear Vaidehi, the traditional way of Pagu is a kerala method. My MIL & SIL were great experts that I was diffident for many years to try it at all.
    That is why I included CT temperature also, to simplify it!!
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra.

9. Prethi vasu

Prethi vasu Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs C
    Will the soft ball consistency got after the sugar syrup reaches the 3 thread consistency ?Please correct me if I am wrong .
    Thanks
    Anbudan
    Prethi

10. Chitvish

Anbulla Prethi, I can never judge 3 string! I go only by this:
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 375pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 3.75pt 3.75pt 3.75pt 3.75pt" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt">1. Soft-Ball Stage
    235° F–240° F
    sugar concentration: 85%

At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into cold water will form a soft, flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten like a pancake after a few moments in your hand.

pralines, fudges and fondant are made by cooking ingredients to the soft-ball stage.

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt">2. Firm-Ball Stage
    245° F–250° F
    sugar concentration: 87%

Drop a little of this syrup in cold water and it will form a firm ball, one that won’t flatten when you take it out of the water, but remains malleable and will flatten when squeezed.

A friend has given me a patham of 2 1/2 strings for sone papdi - i am wondering how to go about it!!:-(
    Love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.