1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Immigration to Canada

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Raechel, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

Thanks a lot for the answers and please refer to Grace's post for clarification on changing the province at a later stage.

Hope everything works out fine and will definitely keep you posted with info about jobs, eventhough I am not from the IT sector.

Wish you luck!

2. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Grace,

Thanks a lot, you having already gone through the process i was sure I can count on you for reliable answers and guidance.

I have seen from you post to Rigama about the current job scenario in the IT sector, What about the other sectors like Marketing, administration, Accounts, Community services....... can you please guide me.

Thanking you in advance..........

3. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Grace,

I would like to ask you one more thing, does knowing French help you in getting jobs easily. I know about Quebec being an area where knowledge of french is mandatory, was just wondering about other provinces and does it help you in getting jobs in the cstomer service department.

Thanking you in advance.......

4. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

Dear Grace3,

Believe me your reply was very soothing.
    Thanks for that. As you said, we also heard that the market is in a bad state now. And may be its all for good that our process is getting delayed.

Yes we are yet to take up the test and as per what you specified we shall surely take it up very soon. Thanks again.

Can I know when you had applied. Did you go through any consultant?
    Our case is being processed through WWICS? Do you have any comments about them?
    But i guess, the process is to treat all the cases equally, irrespective the mode.

Its true that its very difficult to get a sponsored job. Possibly we can only try if we have references or contacts in relevant companies, which we dont.

Thanks a million for all the information . Please do continue to help us with your informations and suggestions.

5. Teenaabraham

Teenaabraham New IL'ite

Hi Raechel,

I am new to this thread and happened to read your earlier query. have you got your file number yet. We had applied in May 2005 for Canadian PR and we got the file number in June 2005. We got our IELTS call (though initially our agents had mentioned that there would be no IELTS test as we were very fluent in English) in Jan 2008. Medical Call in August 2008 and our PR status in October 2008. We did our landing in April 2009 and came back and are now planning to relocate to Canada in JUne 2010. Whew!!! very long process.

In the above process we had to resubmit the "proof of funds" as well as "police certificate" couple of times, because of the long delay.

We were there for about a month during our landing and found out that the professions highly in demand are accountancy, nursing and IT. There are lot of temporary and permanent jobs out there but it all depends on our expectations and what we are really looking to prioritise there. If there is an additional qualification of CMA or CPA then accounts jobs are really available in plenty. Once your PR is done then you need to get your CV done professionaly since the way the CV is made in Canada is slightly different from the usual stock. Then you should start applying to check out how many of the job profile suit you and how many responses you get. IN this manner you will be able to understand how to add your experience.

French knowledge helps tremendously.

The main thing is that you have to be very positive and prioritise the reason for choosing Canada. Any move to any place is traumatic till the time you adjust to the new surroundings , get friends and integrate. Canada is no exception. The best thing is that the people are so friendly and want to help. There are so many immigration assistance centres that with the right attitude, you would sail through most problems.

Hope the above rest assures you a bit..

Teena

6. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Teena,

Welcome to IL, it is a nice place to meet ladies around the globe, and very informative too.

Thanks for all the info , happy to hear that you got the PR processed and will be landing soon. Do share your landing experience with us.

I have filed my PR application in Sept 2009, I was told that I will be getting the file number as soon as I give the IELTS results. No idea when my PR will be finally processed, considering the time taken in your case, probably in 2012, that's a long way and by then hope canada will recover from the recession and we dont have difficulty in getting the job .

Great to hear about the job prospects for accountants, but was wondering whether the Indian certification will be helpful in getting a job . I have heard a lot about the employers being very particular about the " Canadian Experience & Certification".

Thanks for the info about French too, as Grace had said in her earlier post, we could use the long wait for PR to enhance our skills so that we can settle down in Canada smoothly.

Regarding the CV, hope will be able to get it done by some professional agencies in Canada itself, dont know about the charges, if it is huge will have to check out other avenues.

Have you decided on the province to settle down, is it the same province where you have landed in April and do share your landing experience. Are you planning to work in Canada, if so do you have an arranged employment or have you planned to do the job search after settling down. Does the landing and activation of PR help in applying for jobs from outside Canad.

I agree with you regarding right attitude.

Once again thanks for passing on the info, of course i feel relieved, but you know once we start processing the PR we hear lots of things and we have lots of queries and look out for guidance & suggestions.

Do share with us your experiences and info about PR processing and settling down in Canada.

Thanks a lot Teena, feels great to get info from people who have gone through the same process.

All the best for relocating, wish you lots of luck.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Raechel,

I'm sorry I have not that much idea about other sectors you've asked. I will enquire through my husband & some of our other acquaintances, and will update here if I get any of the info. you're looking for.
    Yes, French is definitely a plus. Especially in Quebec it is a mandatory requirement for any kind of job in any field.

8. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

For us too the entire process took over 4 years. No - We didn't go through any consultant , did it on our own. We had heard that the consultants cause delays because they wait to collect a certain number of applicants [applications] before submitting the forms. And at every stage we have to believe what they say & literally keep track of them & whether they did their part ON TIME !
    I have no comments about WWICS because frankly this is the first time I'm hearing about them :) On reading your query, I googled to find out what WWICS was !

Rigama, don't keep wondering about the delay & how soon or how late others who applied are getting. Your turn will also come when the time is right for you & your family -- just have the faith & relax. When you do get the visa it would be just the perfect timing -- you will feel this is just right :)
    Happily enjoy India till then !

1 person likes this.
  9. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Grace,

Thanks dear. Thanks a lot, it is so kind of you to enquire about my queries, I knew I could count on you. You are really hepful, hope you dont mind me pestering you with tons of questions.

Thank you once again.

10. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

Dear grace,

thats very sweet of you. Thanks for you reply.i really feel good reading your replies..

btw , when we started our process we thought it is btr to go through consultants..may b what u r saying is true.not sure though.
    and when we recently spoke to them they said, the new cases are cleared in 6 months!!!! we are so confused if we need to withdraw and apply again as per new process or jus wait.

But now we hav set our mind thinking lets wait untill it comes and jus like u said we are being optimistic and may b our time is yet to come.
    Till then we shall b here or may be even try out in some other country.

so we want to try out in europe. and if it works out we might go on.
    but it is equally tough to get a job there too. we hav no contacts. Inspite of my husband being very well exp in IT, we would need contacts or references................We see many jobs in the sites but references would really help..and we dont hav any...

not a problem though..we shall try and even if not we are happy here..so either way is good for us;-)
    btw, do u know anyone in europe..hav any idea about the job market and recruitment agents there..please do let me know..
    sorry if am confusing you with too many things..i am still glad that you helped us so much information till now:)