Input Needed on these Sub-Forum Requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Induslady, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL'ites,

Over the past few weeks, requests have come in to add the following sub-forums. Which of the ones do you think are important and which ones we can do without? Any additional sub-forums ideas you have?

1. Relationship with Siblings
    2. Friends & Friendship
    3. Other Relationship (extended family)
    4. Senior Citizen Sub-Forum
    5. Parents of Special Needs Children
    6. Bereavement
    7. Social Causes & Non-Profits
    8. Businesses & Companies
    9. Environment

We don't want to indiscrimately add sub-forums and clutter our site. Balance that as you provide your perspective on the above. Thank you.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Malathy,
    I think the Relationship with Siblings can probably be made into Relationship with Birth Family(Parents/Sibs/Cousins/extended family etc). That way there is one Forum dedicated to relatives on our side.

What will be discussed in the Friends and Friendship Forum? Is it going to be focused on making friends or talking about friends and friendship? In my opinion, the entire site focuses on making good friends and fostering an online friendship, so there may not be a need for a dedicated forum.

Senior Citizens forum is a good idea. I've seen a lot of senior members participating in all the forums and they can have a place to talk to each other.

The Special Need kids thread in the children's section is really useful and has a lot of information. I'm sure by adding the forum, lots of users are going to be aware of the information/support available. I think it is a good idea.

Bereavement is a good forum. I've seen a lot of threads on this and it would be nice if people can just read through prior threads and find solace.

Business and companies sounds like the a forum for Entrepreneurs. Won't people try to advertise their products etc here. Is that going to be alright? If it is just to discuss idea, then the working from home board does have such discussions. I've not seen too much of interest being generated there though. Maybe you can club both the forums together.

Social Causes is good.I remember seeing some threads on volunteering at different institutes etc in the regional boards. All that can be in one place, with easy access to whoever is interested.

I haven't seen too many threads on environment or related issues. Maybe you can start a sticky in one of the general discussion forums for environment and based on interest create a new sub forum if needed. Again, JMO, feel free to disregard.

Regards,
    L

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. KalpanaVIyer

KalpanaVIyer New IL'ite

Hello!
    I think first of all we should cover 'Relationships' per se as today children have problems with siblings,parents,friends,elders and so on.So dealing with each of these needs to be discussed.
    Bereavement is another subject which is really good to discuss as so many people are unable to handle grief.
    Seniors definitely need a hearing.
    Other forums are fine as long as majority think it worthwhile.

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

My preference would be for the above 2 alone..Especially "Parents of Special Needs Children"....Rest can be mingled in the existing forums..Why to complicate when unnecessarily..:thumbsup

5. monikakrishna76

monikakrishna76 New IL'ite

3. Other Relationship (extended family)
    4. Senior Citizen Sub-Forum
    7. Social Causes & Non-Profits
    8. Businesses & Companies

senior citizens sub forum is must., will lead to lot of fresh ideas and will add meaning to their life and society as well.,

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

These could be clubbed together.
    I think this is very important to have! Considering the lack of a community for this genre in the virtual world.
    Sounds important - but would it not become as predominant marketing forums. Also, does not the bussinesses part of it, come in the Women Entrepreneurs forum? A good idea would be to rechristen the name of the Indian Women Entrepreneurs forum as " Business and Entrepreneurship", there by not siding it to a geography or a gender.
    A good idea, more so because there is a lot people dont know,and not much exposure in the virutal space to share on these issues. Parenting sites also do not have a seperate sub forum on this need.
    Possibly, on the lines of the Wishes Forum. But I am not very aware on the takers end.
    Once again, not sure of the takers. Most of the discussions can be on the Genral discussions page.

JMO,

Cheers
    Arch

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. ashabs

ashabs New IL'ite

Hi all,

All the topics are quite interesting. Out of all relationships with siblings is great to discuss. siblings can be from age 0 to any. All IL folk who've undergone experience with different ages of their siblings can be put forth such that it may be helpful to one r other.

Take care all....

keep tuned,

ASHA

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Singles World

Relationships
    Friends and Family

Relationships

Indian Weddings
    Married Life
    Me & My Spouse
    Relationship With In-Laws
    Family Relationships (Immediate, extended)
    Friends
    Life Without Spouse

We should have all these. .

can be included in Wishes - Can rename it to Greetings, coz it can be any form of greeting?

9. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hi

I feel Parents of Special Children is really worth, they can discuss everything and act as what we call as "Support Group System". It will help those parents to feel that they are not the only ones having difficult situation. It will also help others to have a sound knowledge about those children.

Social Causes & Non Profit will also be good.

Other Sub forums that I would like to suggests are
    1. Microwave Cooking under Indian Diet & Nutrition.
    2. Abuses Children face at home & outside home (how to prevent it,etc.)
    (Every one can be asked to provide help-line(like Tulir at Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India) for children in their area). I mean to say all forms of abuses such as physical, mental, emotional & sexual.
    3. The above said goes for Women's Wellness as well - another topic.

10. PavitraVenkat

PavitraVenkat Gold IL'ite

I think as pointed out in previous posts, these can be clubbed as 'Family and Friends'.

I strongly feel we need this forum. It'll be a great platform for the senior citizens in IL to share their thoughts.

I think this is one sub-forum which is a must. It would be very helpful for parents of such children to come together and discuss. The forum will enable us to know about schools for special children, their care, some therapy information. I would like to add that through 'Aap ki antara' program on Zee TV, I've got to know about autism. At the end of each episode of this serial, they show the interview of a autistic child and their parents where they share the talents of their kid and also tell of the difficulties they've faced with lack of information/special schools sometimes. This forum can hence be a platform for having information and sharing of experience which shall enable other parents to pick something from it.

We can have this sub-forum and same goes with this sub-forum too as said above.

I'm not very keen on these sub-forums.

If social causes &non-profits sub-forum is going to be created, then Environment would fit into this sub-forum as it is a part of social cause. I believe much of discussion in this forum would be relating to how to save the environment or things we can do from our end to save the environment. So it can be fitted into sub-forum 7.