1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Immigration to Canada

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Raechel, Sep 21, 2009.

1. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi raechel,

i think i have not clearly mentioned something in my post..we actually got the file number in about 2 months after we applied,,and now its been nearly two years since we applied for the PR. ...after getting the file number,we have not heard anything else from the agents..
    as far as my knowledge is concerned,,i heard it may take anytime between 2 -4 years to get call for the medicals and then about 6months from there to go through the process and actually land in canada..:rant

btw,,we didnt apply from ireland,,but from NEW DELHI,INDIA...and let me double check on the IELTS test,,,have u applied under the HIGHLY SKILLED CATEGORY,,if yes,,then its better to get it checked if the test is mandatory..for we were told clearly that its OPTIONAL
    thanks for the info

thanks
    aarthi

2. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Aarthi,

Sorry dear, it was purely my mistake, i had gone through your post once again and you have clearly mentioned about getting the file number a few months after the application, but somehow I had the impression you have not yet got the file number. Anyway thanks for clarifying, the thought of waiting 2 years for file number was very depressing, now I am relieved.

Yes, even I have heard about the 2-4 years wait for PR, but recently somebody told me now it is being processed really fast and it takes only 8-12 months for the whole thing, I have no idea how true it is, because mostly everybody was talking about the long wait for PR.

Please do check about that IELTS, so that I can also be sure whether it is actually needed or not. I have applied under the "Skilled workers and professionals" category, let me also check about the IELTS .

Thanks a lot...........

Warm Regards
    Raechel

3. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Raechel & Aarthi,

Regarding the IELTS Exam, it is NOT OPTIONAL , they have made it COMPULSORY, irrespective of your medium of education & your command over the language. My husband applied in 'Skilled workers & professionals ' category . In spite of being a MBA from a UK University -- still he had to register for the exams, buy the material/CD etc. and clear the exam. This entire process set back our immigration plans by over 6 months , because the admission quota was full and we had to wait for the next slot .

Even my close friend who applied after us, was told IELTS is mandatory and she started registering / studying for it, even before her medicals came she had cleared the exam.

So please enquire from an authorised source & be prepared with the IELTS results so that it doesn't delay your process more further.

Good luck :)

4. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

hi ladies,

well as per the new process after feb 2008 i guess it will take
    only 12 mnths for the whole process..especially if you arewell experienced and r going as a skilled worker. Check out the official site.
    Application Processing Times: A Look at New Service Initiatives at CIC. There are lots of other info (official) on this site.

We applied from chennai in 2005 nov and are still waiting for UL(updation letter) and after we get this it will take 18 more months.. So jus calculate.. Its taking so long and we are still not sure if we should continue with the process.. But there are people who applied this year and are already there or are at the last stage of the process....
    2004 and 2005 cases are stuck up in the backlogs now and so its too slow for us.we are very much worried as we started the process b4 we had a kid and now our kid is going to school and we are still not settled as we thought we would. Not sure why the the new cases are started without clearing the backlogs!!!

In 2008 a new rule came that it will only accept skilled workers and will take very less time for those who apply aftr feb 2008.
    So those who want to apply now can check the demand for your field in the job market and especially It field, it will not take much time.Lucky guys...

But yes, from what I heard, the job market is not very good right now. Though there is a news that Canada is out of recession it is still not out of the after effects..There are lots of them who are unemployed.

Its luck that it will have to believe.
    We are confused. If we should try out a job now in canada , possibly a sponsored one so that it would be good to settle b4 PR. But not sure how safe and reliable it is to do that in this situation..

People who are already there in Canada and have got immigrated ...Would you be able to help us all through some good information.
    For me info abt the IT job market and suggestions about trying for a sponsored job and coming there trusting that job would be very very helpful...

Thanks in advance :)

5. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Grace - Thanks a lot for the clarification, yes none of us wants to lose anymore time as the PR processing itself takes months/years and any lapse from our side will mean a further long wait, which none of us would want to.

Rigama - Thanks for all the info you share, it is really helpful and i do look forward for more inputs from your end. I agree to your saying that it all depends on ones luck, even i have heard about the processing being fast nowadays especially for the applications made after feb 2008, but no idea how true it is. Regarding jobs in canada it seems all that matters is canadian experience and canadian education, your experience and qualification will definitely help you in processing the PR but for the real job you definitely need canadian experience & qualification. The irony of the situation is that without being in canada we are not able to get that much valued "canadian experience". Also it is very difficult to get a job from outside the country without having the rights to work within the country , I have also read somewhere to make a job offer to someone outside the country the employer has to get the green signal from HRSDC and also prove that he is making the offer only because nobody in canada is able/willing to take up the job. Sometimes all these facts are really depressing , hope the end result will be worth all the effort we have put in. As you said any info from the ladies in canada regarding the job market, opportunities and anything and everything about canada is always welcome.All the best for your PR and do keep us posted on the developments of your PR . BTW have you done your IELTS, if so how was it, I am really nervous about it.

Aarthi- do double check about the IELTS being mandatory, so that your processing does not get delayed.

Warm Regards

6. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

Hi Raechel ,
    Thanks for your wishes.
    In our case my husband is the principle applicant and so only he needs to take up the ielts test and is yet to do that.

All the best to you too.

Hope people who are there in Canada and had experience on this come forward to help us with some useful info...only they can understand how it feels to wait for so long to get the pr

7. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

Thanks dear,for your wishes. Hope you will be able to clarify the following:

1. I understand from your earlier posts that you have filed the PR application long back in 2005, were you not asked to provide the IELTS score while getting the file number or is it fine if we give the results later?

2. Were you asked to show the proof of funds at the time of getting your file number? I was told a statement would suffice at the time of application, just wanted to know when are we supposed to show the liquid cash?

3. Is it possible to change the province opted for PR in your application later if needed?

Rigama, even I hope people in canada, who have gone through these experience will come forward with their valuable suggestions and guidance.

Grace - I am counting on you too for clarifications on queries listed above, you having passed through this ordeal, is our saviour angel.

Aarthi - have you checked with you agent about the IELTS being mandatory?

Thanking you all in advance

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

Hi Raechel,

Here are my answers:)

1. I understand from your earlier posts that you have filed the PR application long back in 2005, were you not asked to provide the IELTS score while getting the file number or is it fine if we give the results later?

We were told that we need to take up the test before we send our updation letter (which we are awaiting now). Not when we applied.

2. Were you asked to show the proof of funds at the time of getting your file number? I was told a statement would suffice at the time of application, just wanted to know when are we supposed to show the liquid cash?

Again we need to show the proof of funds along with the updation letter. Basically updation letter is to show all the details updated till date.

3. Is it possible to change the province opted for PR in your application later if needed?

Even we have this question in our mind. I am not sure what matters if we try or find a job in another province. Shall surely let u know once we get the answer from our consultant.
    Rigama, even I hope people in canada, who have gone through these experience will come forward with their valuable suggestions and guidance.

Hope this helps.:)

If at all u get any info through ur contacts, do let me know about trying a job in canada in IT companies now(sponsored work permit)

Regards
    Rigama

9. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

Despite what the media portrays, situation here is still very bad. My husband is working as IT consultant, doing short-term temporary projects, much below what he is actually qualified for, and also with not that great salary. It takes months of again applying, networking & interviews, for him to get the next project & I guess this is what is called 'Canadian Experience' . Just have to grit our teeth & bear it.

It would be ideal situation if you could get a sponsor, but for IT field that is like rare diamond, because people here always prefer the prospective candidate to be physically present in the country. They will not consider application forms which do not have a local contact address. If you do get such an opportunity, don't miss it. You can safely work here & settle till you get your PR. It is relatively easier for other categories like cafeteria workers, drivers etc. to be sponsored & get work visa because obviously the demand is there for them. But equally problematic too -- we know 2 people, ladies, who have done Masters in Catering Technology in Bombay. But for past 3+ years it seems they are stuck with making pancakes in a Chinese rest. here & they are terribly frustrated. They too have come on work visa only, so have to stick thro' till the time period -- then only can approach elsewhere. Another former colleague of ours, has come here last June . After knocking all doors possible, he has now reluctantly taken up a floor assistant's job in a stationery company.

Don't worry about the delay Rigama. It is all happening for good only. In fact, consider it as a blessing in disguise. You can use this time to properly plan, focus on improving your professional skills in India right now alongwith increasing your savings. If you have not yet done it, you can also finish your IELTS exams & be ready with the results.

All the best.

10. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Raechel,

1. IELTS results can be sent anytime during the process. We did it after we got the update letter, which delayed us further, as I have explained earlier. It is a good idea to complete IELTS and send the results even before the update letter comes.

2. Yes, a statement towards the proof of funds is sufficient. It is better to submit the latest statement again in every stage. We submitted fresh updates during the update letter and also while landing. You can take a on-line printout from your bank account.

3. Absolutely possible. You don't need to do anything now to change your province preference in your application. It may lead to further unwanted delays. You can move into any province you desire while landing or even after landing. But you CANNOT land directly in Quebec. Landing requirements are different for Quebec. But after landing in any other province you can move to Quebec. It is a free country .

All the best.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009