1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Volunteering at your kids school!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Tulasi, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

How many of you are Vounteering at your kids school. How do you like it? I do volunteer when ever I can...I really like it as I get see how my kid is performing. How different he could be in school compare to at home..
    please share your experinces?

Thanks
    Tulasi

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My son's preschool is a parent initiative. that means the state supports to an extent and the parents must volunteer to be the board, to help around with shopping etc., each parent initiative has its own set of rules and some even requires cleaning, cooking for the kids etc., in my son's preschool, other than the required volunteering we parents also help to take the kids out on trips, we bring in special food on festivals.. the kids definitely love it and it's also a nice way to get-together with other parents.

Latha

3. sailingboat

sailingboat Senior IL'ite

I do volunteer at my son's school. I volunteer mostly during parties when they need extra help with children treats and drinks. I also send necessary goodies for the party. Ya, it is a good experience, we get to see unique side of our kids.

4. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

My husband volunteers for one of the class activities. He goes every week on a specific day. I generally signup for goodies in seasonal celebrations, as I don't get time to go in person for volunteering. I have seen some parents, signed up for almost 3 days a week.

We could closely see our kid's performance in the class and indeed were able to guide her through her mistakes. Another good aspect of it is, we have gotten lot of nice parent-volunteer friends who are indeed very helpful when its needed.

We like the overall experience so far.

-Uma

5. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

I volunteer as story parent and helper parent. Story parent is assigned a day when you can read your child favorite book or the teacher will give you something to read in class. It is usually after lunch when the kids are more relaxed. Helper parent can go any time of the day and will be give some work by the teacher which you can bring it home and complete or finish it in the work room at school. I enjoy both a lot. I used to also go as center parent but usually it is at 8:30 to 9:30 am and these days I am lazy to go that time so this year I did not sign up. Center parent will be in charge of a group of kids in math center , science center or reading center and the whole class takes turns and you have to work with them on any assigned task.
    All this is fun. You get to see the children more closely on their behavior, attitude etc. Kids are so cute and innocent....I think. They get so excited sometimes for little things. Some kids are so cranky sometimes while others are ever cheerful.

Adara

6. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the inputs ladies!
    Tulasi

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Tulasi, I think I am stepping in a little late - but yes I do volunteer a lot in my child's school. I even take my younger one to his class and he loves it that I am around. My daughter knows almost everyone in the school. I also actively participate in the PTA/PTO activities and also run a couple programs for them. I find it very helpful as I not only have an opportunity to know the teachers/principal but get to know many other parents as well. In the long run, it gives me a sense of security and gives me a sense of giving back to the community and school by actively participating in all the discussions and helping whereever whenever. now as a parent I better understand when a something comes home to be bought/sold.

8. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

Im a parent volunteer at my kids class. After finishing my cooking and cleaning at home i feel very bored and lonely . So i started going to my kids class to help the teacher and i enjoy it a lot. I feel very happy after finishing my tasks there.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  9. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Srama, that’s very nice of you to volunteer actively. So far I was not part of PTA apart from that I do my bit where ever they need help!

Padma, we feel automatically energized if we go out do something like this!

Good Job:thumbsup
    Tulasi