1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

when did ur babies start babbling?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by abhismom, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Chinnu started babbling and cooing when she was around 5 months. Jay's mother told me to talk to kid a lot from the time she was born, though you might feel little idiotic but sooner or later they will respond you back. When you talk, do talk to them in little exaggerated tone (slightly loud, but not too much to scare them) rather than speaking to them in very soft voice.Give them the toys that makes sounds. These are the things I did after Chinnu was born. Rest of the tips Malyatha has superbly explained. Yes, the art of speaking is learned, so expose them to sounds.
    Being said this, pls. know that every child has their on pace. They will learn to speak. Our cousin's kid and also, our friend's kid didn't start it till they were 8 months. So long as you they hear properly you need not worry about it. In malayalam there is an adage"Pallum (teeth), chollum(speech) pathuke mathi (should be slow)".
    Happy parenting
    -Nitha

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Roopika,

Do not worry every child is different as is case to case. Talk to your child, like other mommies mentioned a child will learn from the lip movements.

I have noticed a remarkable change in my DD when I take her out for walks. She opens up completely, just rolls on the bed and tries mumble something, eeeeeeeee, ahhhhhhh etc. She will scream with joy when I take her out.

The other day when we took her to a shopping market she was observing everything and when she reached home she was so overwhelmed that she just mumbled and was trying to convey many things. For children outings is as sky is the limit. Try taking your LO out for atleast half and hour and you will know the difference. I take her to the park where children play and she likes it a lot.

I know of a case where the child start actually speaking at the age of 2 and is today an IIT pass out. Do not undermine your child, let him take his time. You do your best, he will do the rest.

And when he talks you will needs loads of patience, with some ear plugs on, and you will be ready to dive in the pool for the noise and the questions they put up LOL :rotflIts fun time to watch them grow

All the best.

3. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Roopika,

My intention was not to scare but to make you aware that it may be time for you to take some proactive action. My DD was a VERY LATE talker and only began speaking with INTENSIVE speech therapy.

Had I paid close attention to her development and taken her delay VERY SERIOUSLY when she was an infant - instead of adopting a 'waiting-and-watching' attitude - I would have got her into therapy much earlier and she may started talking much earlier, too. Instead, I went into complete denial and brushed off any suggestions to the contrary as 'paranoid' and 'unnecessary'. In addition, my mother did not speak until age 3, so I just assumed that my DD was speech delayed like my mother was. With my DS, I am much more diligent and keeping my eyes skinned for even the slightest signs of any delays (however minor).

Talk to your pediatrician. A mother's instinct is always right. If you feel that something is amiss, then you are probably right. Do not ignore this anymore and do not be afraid. Fear and worry solve nothing. Be strong and be proactive. Speech delays, when caught early, can be fixed early. It is not an insurmountable or impossible task.

Today, no one would EVER guess that my little girl had had any form of communication delay. She is a very "normal", active, curious and intelligent child, who is a lot of fun and sheer joy to be around. So, hang in there and just make sure that your DS gets any help that he may need.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

You should definitely talk to her pedi soon. If she is doing well on other fronts then waiting another month should be ok but let the doc decide.

V.

5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

V, Thank you. I called up her pedi. he says it is ok to wait and see. Called up my mom too. My bro was a late talker (2 years) and my cousin even later (3 yrs). My BIL's daughter is one year and she started "amma" and "thatha" only at 10-11 months. Maybe it is in the family, will wait it out I guess. I am consoling myself by remembering that my BIL's daughter didnt even say aaaaa.... at 6-7 months. :bonk Any tips on getting the LOs to talk? I mean I sing rhymes to her, talk to her when she is playing, sing lullabies, read out pictures from books........imitate her. Anything else? Or am I getting hyper? :spin

6. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Based on my experience with my own DD (not saying that your DD is exactly the same), I would suggest that you start taking it quite seriously if she is not babbling beyond 8 months of age.

Also, are you talking / reading / singing to her at her eye level? Does she follow your lip movements closely?

7. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Malyatha, Thank you. Nilu looks at me at times and tries to match my lip movements. Sometimes she is not even bothered about me - she just HAS to play. :)

Roopika and other moms like me, I found this link - When does babbling start? It is reassuring. :) And a post here asks us to gauge the receptive and expressive ability. Am posting the link for that too - Language ages and stages - Caroline Bowen hope it helps. Am a bit ok after reading through these links, but am more alert.

8. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

Hi,

My dd is 18 months old now, when she was 7-8 months she was not babbling at all.even i was worried and posted a thread regarding babbling.
    she started babbling at 10 months and said amma at 1year,3-5 words at 15 months and around 40 words at 18 months.so
    I feel if your kid can hear no need to worry till 10 months.

regards,
    roopika

9. drli

drli New IL'ite

Abhi's mom,
    Relax. dont stress over this. Try encouraging your child, when he makes noises.Try imitating him. Look into his eyes when u talk to him. Talk to him when u r changing his diapers.
    Make faces and noises which will attract his attention. If you have family and friends around...his siblings, cousins, uncles aunt grandparents....encourage them to spend some time with him.Talk to him sing to him . you may look silly to others...but u r ur childs favourite toy :).

Anitha, My son's name is Mark. 6 mos old. I am Nilu will start babling soon.

Nitha the adage that you gave is soo true...but one thing that comes with parenting is worry. we are if our child is slow...we have another kind of worry if they are faster than the rest

I would like to stress the fact that each child develops at their own pace.
    neverthless trust your own instincts.

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

my girl is 16 months old and has been babbling quite well. but my issue is she hasn't said 'amma' until now. well she said once or twice around 11 months and stopped. she is very expressive and explains something that she observes but all in babbles. i had been to the paed y'day and he says to wait and see for couple of more months. acc to him, she hears english, german and tamil and is quite possibly confused. but naturally i'm worried. last week she said 'bow, bow' at a dog, finally, after 2-3 months of me telling that to her non-stop. keeping my fingers crossed:(

and as Malyatha mentions, i know of my son's classmate that had been to the speech therapist. her mom too took it lightly since speech delay was in the family and started a bit late (after 3). even now the girl fights for words but getting better.

Latha