Entrepreneurs...share ideas here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by Kamini_sg, May 12, 2009.

1. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

:hiya all, I really hope to get some ideas here..well.. hopefully this is the right place to post ..

I am intending to open a small shop in the west area, something which will be convenient for us Indians, instead of having to go other places far like Mustafa just to buy something.

In the shop itself, I will dedicate some space for threading also. But the other half will be grocery ,embroidered tops or something else.

Ladies, do give me some ideas on what you think should be made available to you as a consumer ,something that you feel that you need to travel so far just to buy ..and it will be better if you can get it at my shop..

I had visited some shops last week in Jurong East near the Indian temple.. but i find that the shop wasnt clean ,vege which wasnt really fresh and things covered in dust.

I am looking into a clean minimart style. Also, having gone to Delhi, i find that many shops in Serangoon sell Punjabi suits which have really rough meterial and are expensive ,not so nice as well.

I am thinking of selling some nice Punjabi suits ,but I am not sure whether I should jjust sell the material.. what do you ladies think ?

** Oh yeah another good news, for IL ladies,,you will be my exclusive customers,,i will take care of your needs..but its a secret..wont tell you know till my shop is opened ..lol ..so wait for 2 mths at least ..

Thanks for all your sweet ideas!!!

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hey Peeky

That was a good idea and my best wishes and prayers for you to be a shining enterpreneur in Singapore.!

few pointers I would like to highlight:

1. You may wish to sell Paneer and spices as fresh as possible(That is one of the reasons we go Mustafa)
    2. Fresh flowers for poojas, diyas exclusive from India, not the usual ones.
    3. Reg the Churidar material...I doubt if there will be many takers since the stiching charges are sky high here. You may want to sell readymade ones.(Probably buy the materials and get it stitched in India in standard sizes like S/M/L/XL).
    4. Another attraction would be selling readymade blouses at affordble rates
    5. And probably bringing pieces of 1 gram gold jewelleries...for this ofcourse your margin should be comparable (for me a slight price increase will be OK when compared to the prices in India. But I wont be interested if it is double or triple the original cost(Like the shops in serangoon do)...since most of us go once or twice to India ..and dont mind to wait till we go there to buy)
    6. Bangles (those metal ones /clay ones),Hairclips
    7. Readymade sarees for singaporeans. (a lot do not know how to tie but want it for occassions) You may want to target the teenagers as well with the half sarees/silk skirts.

The above are what came to my mind now. Will let you know if I think of anything further.

(P.S: By the way...what is the special discount that I get for the above suggestions? Hush!Hush:thumbsup)

3. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

Hii Abhi

Thanks, those were great suggestions. The rest of you who read my thread, please have some ideas coming in as well.

Thanks !!!

4. kirtanasrini

kirtanasrini New IL'ite

Hello Ladies ,

I am the latest addition here :) . It is great to see so many women interested in doing something ... I would love to join and am currently pursuing something with some help from my family .

I am also a housewife on a job hunt :) please post the date and venue of a meeting so that I can also join in ... thanks

5. kirtanasrini

kirtanasrini New IL'ite

Re: Yr suggestion to flourish the business

Hi ,

I stay in Bedok . Please share the shop details , I would like to visit .

6. Kamini_sg

Kamini_sg New IL'ite

So, all are ready for a meetup ???

Hey chamu
    Why dont' u initiate a meetup sometime in Nov..I read yr msg, and I'm willing to hear your business plan. I too have mine. We can share our thoughts. I would be glad, if you or anyone can fix it after 14th Nov, coz, until then I'm quite busy with my event....And yes, I completely agree with your thoughts written above.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

Dear kamini,
    Sorry that im busy in Nov. after 14th bc my kid is having her exams and annual day at last week of Nov. And Dec. is holiday month :spin . So can we make it on 2nd week of Jan 10 .

rgds
    Chamu

8. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

Nice suggestions Abhisign ,
    How abt Frozen chappathis and parathas of indian brand ,we hunt for indian flavoured but cheap affordable roti prathas ,isnt it ? And Peeky, u can also offer mehandi designs.
    All the Best .

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  9. Kamini_sg

Kamini_sg New IL'ite

No issues Chamu.....
    When every one is ready, we can meet then...;-)

10. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

yeah thts what i intend to do. In fact,my sis will be with me. She will be incharge of the Threading, waxing and offering both Henna and Bridal Henna services.