need advice-civil engineers

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Anuparas, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Anuparas

Anuparas New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I have a bacelors degree in civil engineering and worked in India for 21/2 years. With kids and family,i have a huge break of 8 years. I would like to go back to same Industry in USA. I learnt basic Autocad skills and i am familiar with microsoft office.What courses needs to be done to get back to the industry?. Iam looking more towards environmental,or watershed management.....my final option would be consturction.
    Please advice me. I cannot afford to do MS here though.
    Is doing AutoCAD in civil gets me a job?.
    I really appreciate your valuable opinions.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Anu

2. hema_gladston

hema_gladston Bronze IL'ite

hi ANU

Doing AutoCAD is only for drafting purposed. for that a person with diploma can do. Being an engineer something more will be expected from you. which industry in particular you want to go..

Hema

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Anuparas:
    Are you a USA citizen? If so, I suggest that you go through the civil service testing either state or federal and go from there.

4. Anuparas

Anuparas New IL'ite

Thank you Hema and Tashidalak for your advice.
    I understand that learning autocad only put sme to drafting ,but iam looking for an entry to the industry after a long time. Iam very interested in environmental engineering and am planning to do some courses in that too. Because of its vast nature, if any of you can suggest what is the best thing to do?. Iam planning to go for water/wastewater management?.
    Any ideas please?
    Anu