1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I don't like DH idea....pls help me !

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kailashwathi, Oct 26, 2009.

1. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Kailashwathi,

I cannot give you any advise here. But this is my question to other ladies who are more knowledgeable .....sorry if I am posing another question and not giving you a solution. But the answer to my question from some wise ladies here may lead to your solution...I guess!

Can you guys tell me if this sounds good?

Her dh wants to live and work here so why not she ask him to just drop the idea of buying a house and as he also like the education here so they just continue living until kids education is done and then move back. That way she has not fear whether they can sell the house and always a hope she is moving back. There may be a compromise from his side on not buying a house which she fears may tie them down here for next 20-25 years and she also compromise in moving his work, kids education to India. They make a deal like this but how far it is good you ladies need to tell...plzz...

They can cut back on costs like home improvement, HOA fee etc etc that are all attached to a house and that way she can go visit her Parents every year.
    I dont know whether it is wise,financially or any other aspect to live for the next 10 years in an apartment.
    Are there any one here living in apartments for that long because usually once our immigration status is settled we eye on buying a house and that is what most of them do and say it to be best decision.

Pour in you advise plzzz.... hope a solution to this comes up.

Adara

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

If two people have different expectations in a marraige,one will be the looser and one will be the winner or after sometime,one can see other person decision is good or bad or sometiems time will decide.

It all depend on whose hand is upper in a relation or who can easily adjust or compromise.

So these decisions will depend on so many dynamics and there is no one simple solution.
    Only advise don't worry too much for this.I think lot of time,when men having travel job,that will stress the family lot and lot.If your husband having that kind of job and see he can get any local job and see what are the things making you sad to live here and improve them while you guys debating other things.

All the best!!

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Totally agree with Priya.

One more point to add is...be open to ideas from your spouse. It applies both to husband and wife. If some one is insisting on soemthing, ask them the reasons, talk about the facts....not emotions.

I might sound a bit judgemental...but we all have to remember that if someone is a sole bread winner in the house, then we have to give them atleast some benefit of doubt , as no matter what happens they are the ones who have to support us financially. so if husband is the sole bread winner and he doesnt like to work in India, makes the situation a bit more complicated and resentment builds in, if we push him to do what he doesnt like.

Moreover, if down the line after moving to India, if there are any problems in jobs/with inlaws/any matter...tiffs would increase.

If Parvathi knows about managing finances, or the key things involved in buying a home / moving to India expenses she should make him sit and talk aobut facts..rather than saying her parents are alone and old/her daughter needs to play iwth cousins..:)bonkthese cant be valid reasons to discuss such big decision..) JMO

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

When I say family I mean both ours. My SIL is also having her own family and she also has her IL with her so it is not always possible to look after them. But my dh does not bother much about all these. More than that it is my Parents. My sister is in India but her hubby has a job which demands lot of transfers and so she is not always in the same city. Till now they have been managing well even without my sisters help or may be ocassional help because they were doing fine health wise. My dad is already over 70 now and from now on I feel they may need more help in the coming years.

'Even without us having a house in India I am thinking of moving back'. This is something that you have. Right? Why? Can't we just go without a house, then rent near to school or work place or in between both and then plan on buying one? or live with IL or Parents initially till we find one. That way we can be in the same city and move Parents near to us if needed. Moving them from India to US is impossible though. Do you need to necessarily have a house before you go?
    I understand that dh and dd are my family but ageing Parents are also a part of our family.

And always thinking that any sibling living in India can look after them and we can send money and live here pursuing our careers is not the way I think. How long can we expect only our siblings to take care and we kind of get away when there is an oppurtunity to go and do your part too.
    My sister has been looking after their every need till now and I know she will henceforth. It doesn't matter whether I live here or there for her. But don't I have some duty towards them too? My dh also has his duty towards his Parents too. These are not the days when you cannot get a decent job of similar kind in India.

BTW... I work in a bank and I used to work in SBI in India which I resigned.
    So if we go back I may not have a job but seeing our finances I dont need to work. We can do good with what we have only if we try to contend ourselves or if needed I can work too. With all this experience I can try a private bank.

Parvati

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

kailashwathi,

By any chance,do you have any plan that you can go first and live in india for sometime without your husband and decide?

If you are very strong about your decision then I don't think any choice left for your husband. In my family,I am kind of ok,I can go in any direction but my husband is very strong.If he has something in mind that should be done.

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Parvathi

Seems like you have already made your decision. Then no point in putting my thoughts or suggestions.

7. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Thanks Priya...that sounds a good idea. I can go first and he join me later. Let me put forth with him and see the reaction.

8. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Thank you so much for all the suggestion. If I already made a decision then why this? Here, I am also trying to make a point that there are some sacrifices which we need to make and for each one that may be different. But was not sure of my line of thinking so that is why needed help.

9. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi Kailashwati,

I see your point. You feel that we also owe to our parents to be close to them in their old age. I respect that. Have you tried spending the summer vacation months in India to see how you feel about returning? That way you will not affect your dd's education.

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Parvati,

It’s a tough decision but you have got to choose between your hubby and your parents. There is only one wish for you to be granted. If I ask you this question what would you say?

The same situation was faced with my aunt. She stayed for a year with her parents and then decided to permanently settle in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> with my uncle. At that time she didn’t have any children. She conceived in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> and has got citizenship for both the children. Uncle knew that he wouldn’t get a better job in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. My uncle has bought a house in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> and they visit <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> once in five years. Coming and settling in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> is not a big deal, the challenge is that you cannot make big money like you make abroad.

May be if you are considering to stay in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> with your daughter, you can give it a try for one year in case your husband is adamant. You can see the difference. You will miss him a lot unless you can manage independently without him. This I am telling from my aunt’s experience. I know my uncle had just come to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> in December and couldn’t even make it for my grandfather’s funeral in February. It’s a tough life girl. You need to choose.

One of the reasons could be that your husband is ambitious and does not like <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. In that case, you need to clap along with him. They say you cannot clap with one hand and you need two to complete the clap. You can sit and try and convince him about the advantages you have in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> w.r.t studies for your DD, house, job security, your parents etc. If he is convinced you have won three fourth of your battle. Then you both can fly down.

Another alternative is that you can get your parents to the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> to stay with you; unless they like US and are comfortable.

Bon voyage.