1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I don't like DH idea....pls help me !

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kailashwathi, Oct 26, 2009.

1. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

DH wants to buy a house in the US and live here. I don't like the idea. The very thought of us living in this country for the next 20-25 years makes me so depressed. I want to move back after a year or so....better less than a year since my dd is already 10 and do not want her to have trouble adjusting while we keep moving like this.

It is getting harder for me to get DH see the point. I just don't like the whole idea...living far from Parents. Dad and mom are also getting old. Though we do not have a house in India but am happy to live in rented one and later think of buying a house. I am not at all thinking of big house or 2 cars etc etc. DH is always in that mood. Thinking of buying big TV, replacing the old car, and now out of the blue buying a house in the US!..

I tried talking to some of my friends here and all they say is " you are so lucky, your hubby is buying a house" and some of them " How can you not like buying house in the US?"
    UGHHHHHHHHHH...................I just can't take it anymore.

Please help ladies. How do I convince him that I am dead against the whole thing. DH says it is good for our daughter's future since studies here are better than India. I don't get the whole thing. He and me also did our entire education from India. What better?....bu@#..sh@#...Why can't he see that? He says there is too much competition there etc etc. But aren't there kids studying there too? And dd is smart too!

Why doesn't this man understand? These days we are not talking only because of this issue.

Looking for all you advise.

Parvati

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Did you ask him why he wants to buy a house in US? Like...are there any strong reasons why he wants it in US and not in India? Is he afraid that he might not get a job in India?
    Maybe if the reasons are strong enough you will be convinced? Most people decide to stay back in US because life is more ...how should I say, streamlined in US.

On the other hand, if you still think that living in India is better than living in US, you will have to find more reasons than parents getting old etc because you can bring your parents to US.

3. budugu

budugu New IL'ite

Kailashwathi,

Does buying a house necessarily eman you will be staying back in US? Check with your husband on that.

You can always sell it and move back to India. Now that house prices are low, you might get a profit when you sell it later.

Does your husband not want to move toIndia at all? HIs parents are getting old too . They need to be taken care of too. tell him about that.

4. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Thanks Rakhi for you reply.

He is in the software industry and with all the experience he has he can get a good job in India though he has never applied since he does not like working in India. Some of his colleagues have gone back for good and I am sure if he tries it is not hard and till he gets a job we have enough to fall back on.

Regarding Parents, they will never come and live with us in the US. Last time they came to live for 6 months it got so hard on them...only I know. But they lived without complaining because we may feel bad. My dad though around 70 yrs is very active socially and mom has her own circle and missed her place very much. I tried asking them but they say they cannot live that life here..it is like jail for them. They have to depend on us to take them out and for everything. It is like losing their freedom.

I think life will be fine in India if we do not expect all that we have here and get ourselves tuned to the living there. But will hubby ever get my point.

Parvati

5. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Thanks budugu for your reply.

What is the point in investing such a huge amount as to buy a house in this country when you cannot sell it even at the cost price if you want to. You may sell it at a profit but seeing the economy I don't think in the coming 8-10 years you can sell it at a profit. How can we go back without selling it here.And then we have dd coming up to college in the next 8 years.
    I have not seen people being happy buying houses here...there is always so much expenditure attached to it and work too! What if we cannot sell it and we have to move back? What headache?????

With half of that money we can afford to live comfortably in India.

His Parents are getting old too is something he has pushed it on his sister's head who lives closeby.
    Poor soul...his sister. If I try telling him that then he says what is your problem she is taking care and I am sending money?

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I guess most of the NRI's have this thought. It's wrong.

For a profitable selling, one needs to be with the house for a decade :)

Think about the mortgage, property taxes and other expenses when you are calculating the gain, please !!

7. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Add to that closing costs and real estate agent commission!

8. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Does he think he can find himself a job that is as good as what he's doing here? Do you think he'll be happy wrapping up what he's built for himself at work here so far and start all over in India? You don't want to force him to move back and figure out he's not happy with the career opportunities around him out there.

I would suggest he (and you too if you're currently working) first look at what the available opportunities in India for him and evaluate on whether that's what he's looking for. There are a couple of ladies on this forum who moved back to India after living in the US- try asking them about their experiences too.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A few questions, though you don't have to respond to them necessarily:

1. How long have you guys lived in the U.S.?
    2. Do you also work outside the home? Will you work if you move to India?
    3. Given your financial situation, will you be able to afford a house faster in the U.S. or India?
    4. When you people came to the U.S., was there any kind of informal discussion on how long you will be staying here, and about future plans?
    5. Have you done any serious research on education in India, or is it limited to "we got educated there, didn't we?"
    6. Maintaining a decently comfortable living standard in India needs a higher paying job than maintaining a similar standard in the U.S.
    7. Like how you are missing your parents now, the cycle will repeat if you move to India and your child goes abroad.
    8. Don't bring his parents and sister into the discussion. Apparently, the arrangement of he sending money, and his sister doing the physical & personal taking care is working for them. Let it be, and do not use that as an argument to move to India.
    9. You say you are sure he can find a job in India. Is that a gut feeling or based on actual research on the current job market in his work area?
    10. Stop not talking. If you have a ten year old, your marriage is well past the "we are not talking" stage. Sit down, make a list of what each one of you wants from life, for self, for kid, for both, give weightage to each point, and take it from there.

-Rihana

Jyothisri likes this.
  10. budugu

budugu New IL'ite

I was just putting in my 5 cents. Don't know much about the housing costs. But just was trying to see if there is any other way to solve to their problem.

kailashwathi, Looks like mentioning his parents is not helping much. What about him talking/ getting together with people who support your thinking? You mentioned that your friends like his idea of buying a house. May be the only solution is to slowly keep chipping off by tdiscussing with him.