Fear of Birth....Need advice

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by kanmani, Oct 7, 2006.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Expecting in Dec 07- Jan 08?

My due date is dec 19th.

2. rakshak

rakshak New IL'ite

When is it safe to travel after delivery ?

Hi Ilites,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and I am due in Feb. I live in the US and we have decided to deliver the baby in the US since I am hypothyroid and I don't want to change the doctor. Unfortunately my mom has health issues and she cannot come here to help us out during delivery. My MIL has volunteered to come and help us out during delivery but she wants us to go back to India 15 days after delivery. I would like to know from friends here
    If it is safe to fly to India with a 2 week old baby ?
    Do u think I can recuperate within 2 weeks and be able to travel ?
    Is it possible to manage without any help?
    Please let me know.

3. luckydove

luckydove New IL'ite

ultrasound and EDD?? every time a different EDD??

Hi! I hope everyone is feeling great.

I have a dillema that is turning out to be quite a big deal for me and
    I really need some opinions that are looking in from the outside.

Here's my problem.

During my first prenatal visit my doctor estimated my due date at
    10/27, based on my LMP.Anyway, My first ultrasound at around 20 weeks gave an EDD of October 30th. and that time I was discovered with low lying placenta, knock wood, but it has moved up.. and now another scan at 30th week has given a new EDD ie November 1st. I'm really confused whcih date is my actual due date..

Just wondering what other peoples opinions on my situation are. is it fine to have different due date every prenatal visit ?or am I just being crazy?
    Thanks for your input. :)

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: ultrasound and EDD?? every time a different EDD??

Hi Luckydove,

Just read this post of yours. Don't go stressing about the EDD. I have very rarely seen babies actually making an appearance right on the dot of the EDD given by the doc. Both my kids, one was early, and the other one simply did not want to leave its cozy nest :wink: .

Anyway, usually OBGYNS will consider a delivery after 37 weeks to be full term. So prepare yourself to deliver anytime from Oct 22 ( that is week before) till Nov 1st or later too. I have known a few friends of mine who delivered around 42 weeks. Only god can predict the EDD very accurately:2thumbsup:

Vandhana

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi
    Infact the EDD calculated just gives the date of delevery with plus mius 7 days. Ultrasound pridict date on different diameters & length of baby like head circumfernce ,femur ( thigh bone ) lenth & like this many measurments but this is dependent on growth of baby which is affected by so many factors & so the EDD given at first few wks may change a bit at 30 or 34 wks but it shud be in range of plus minus seven days. Nothing to worry. if more than that means baby wt & lenths are smaller.
    EDD calculated by last mens. period also gives pridiction with plus minus sevendays.Usually that is correct but it may vey.
    So if USG demonstatred a helathy baby without any signs of intra uterine growth retardation ,This is alright & nothing to worry.
    Best of luck.:)

6. luckydove

luckydove New IL'ite

Dear Vandhana n Jayashree

You rightly said as noone knows the actual time/date of birth..i was very keen so that my mom can be here with me during that time..one more query..I did not have any internal exam so far...i'm in my 31 week, any idea when my gyna would do it..and is it really embarassing..??

thanks for ur suggestion!

7. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Congrats and take care. Reg your query on internal examination, it is not a must till there is some specific need. This is what my gynic told me during my 2nd pregnancy - Thank God, 6 yrs back, when I was pregnant with my first one, I used to have internal examination every time and how I hated it!
    It is not really painful or anything - but for some people who respect privacy, it can be a bit unnerving, even if done by a female gynic. Not embarassing - atleast that is how one needs to prepare oneself - because whenever they do it, it is for your own good. Just take your attention elsewhere and let go (this is what finally helped me)

Hopefully, you will never have to go through one and will deliver fine! All the best!

Cheers,

Sumathy

8. luckydove

luckydove New IL'ite

thanks Sumathy for your immediate response..

9. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Luckdove
    I know that with first preg ur very excited as well as little bit scared . but u shudnot be .
    ABt ur mother with u in first preg if possible Mother or MIL shud be with pregnant lady in last 4-5 wks of pregnancy as some time it may be few wks preamture but nothing to worry as viaility of baby is right from 28 wks.
    Abt the internal exam it was a regular practice in past & still to do first exam at time of detection of preg but with advance of sonography so many gynec dont do it .
    But one examination at abt the full term that is 28 -32 wks is must to know the condition of pelvis that is the bony part forming the cavity to assess its size to see wheather it is sufficintly roomy or narrow if one wud need some sort of surgical assistance or not. That way ur little forwarned.
    At time of confinement rather I think one wud be more scare to undergo exam with all labour pains & anxiety . But than this depends on ur gynec.
    Just relax & try deep breathing exercises .:thumbsup
    Best of luck
    Jaishree

10. luckydove

luckydove New IL'ite

Hi Jaishree,

thanks for ur input..MIL will be with us somewhere in mid september,shall i ask my gynec about the internal exam or leave it on her. my b/p was normal till 29th week but this time it went up 140/80.i had 2-3 check up in august but reading was almost same..now i'm on medication for bp and also for urinary contract infection.
    since I'm alone here and also not working..so my mind keep thinking and getting worried about all these but I think if I have helpful IL and a friend like you to clear doubts..there is no worries at all...

I'm really lucky to be a part of this forum and very thankful to you and all the ladies here for their suggestion and sharing experiences.