1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SHE - Episode 11

Discussion in 'SHE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Jul 5, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kripa,
    I am amazed at your intuitive powers. In fact till I wrote this chapter and the preceding one, even I did not know that this was going to happen. If you could guess that, well, hats off to you.
    But Madam, when the whole thread is boiling with opinions and counter-opinions, I am surprised that you have opted to keep yourself out of controversy.
    Come on, Kripa, whatever you want to say about this episode, say it with confidence. Acceptance or rejection, bouquet or brickbat, all are same to me.
    regards,

2. varalotti

hello sathya,

There are two types of stories. One is the MGR Rajini type stories where the fan vicariously lives the life of the hero. Hugs Saroja Devi or Shreya, fights a hundred villains with his left hand and flies all over the world in his own craft. And after the show is over he comes out of the theatre takes out his dilapidated cycle to go to his house carefully avoiding the road, in which rowdies are there and goes to his middle aged wife who is half-asleep.

The other type of story is about reality. Like Thagazhi Sivasankaran Pillai's Chemmeen, Thulabaram, Thi. Janakiraman's Amma Vandhaal, Deepa Metha's Fire: in all these stories the reader does not have the voyueristic pleasure of living his life through them. But the reader's understanding is deepened, his outlook is broadened and his awareness heightened. I am losing sleep to make my SHE fall into the second category.

I am also a kattupatti and pattikkaadu like you. Only more so. But that should not make us bigots, intolerant of people having a different orientation.

When my heroine is in search of her identity she comes across people who are in the midst of a similar search and their attitude and intensity does affect her.

Lesbianism has been such a great distractor that very few have read the last few lines regarding a person's search for identity.
    Thanks for the detailed FB, Sathya.
    regards,

3. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

dear sridhar
    i am in the middle of a home office crisis
    my daughter was having cold.
    her birthday was on july 5
    i am goin out of town today and coming back this friday morn
    so office ( i am a ca too ) has also to handled ,instructions for the priod of my absence.
    i can promise u one thing .
    when i get back u will get a full page review of both the episodes hot on ur lap.
    be ready darling since u asked for it
    luv
    kripa

4. varalotti

dear kripa,
    nice to know that you are a ca too. I had been to a cpe seminar at Kodai during the last three days and returned to the base only last night.
    What's this kripa? I thought I was the only person who used to give shocks to others and hold them in suspense. I think it is now you have taken that task from me. You are keeping me on tenterhooks till I read your review.
    May I wish your daughter many more happy returns of the day. May the presiding deity of our place Madurai Meenakshi bless her with health, happiness, peace, prosperity and longevity.
    regards,

4 people like this.
  5. Rashi

Rashi New IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,
    Thank you very much for the reply. I would also like to thank you for all the kind comments to the other users too. I am going to work on my English and try to convey my thoughts to others instead of my anger and frustration. I really admire the calm and beautiful way you used to explain you thoughts.

By the way, when you will be shooting the men going to prostitutes, I will be the one standing right next to you making sure nobody escapes. (I will work on my kind words after that... )

I would also like to mention that, I asked one of my friends who is highly educated and a very decent person about her thoughts on Homo-sexual and I was very surprised to hear her views. She said she does not like to see two women or men kissing each other and making out in front of her. She would go blind before seeing something like this. I was so amazed by this. I asked her if she had seen anything like this other than in movies. Of course, her answer was 'No'. But, that was the picture that comes in her mind every time somebody talks about gay/lesbians. Is this typical? Do people really have similar picture about homo sexual. Well, I don't approve of public indecency either, be it gay or not.
    First of all there is a lack of awareness and information about issues like these to the general public. Above that the media sometimes conveys wrong images and lead to more confusion. For that matter, there is no strong support for sex education (for heterosexual ) for young adults either. I have a few friends who believed (till they got married) that a woman got pregnant by kissing a man on the lips. They all are from good families and with good education and all but still they didn't have the right information.

Well, hope the people are well informed and make good choices for themselves. As you already said, there a lot of other evil things happening in this world which deserve more attention.

Thank you once again.
    Rashi

6. varalotti

Dear TDU,

I am not sorry but really happy to see your long reply. I admire you for your patience. First I also wanted to give a word by word reply. But I would rather content myself with saying these few points:

I am not encouraging lesbianism or the gay movement. I am not suggesting that people should one thing or the other. I am only saying that if we come across such people, we should not abhor them. So long as we do not shun them, so long as we tolerate them, they will just remain a miniscule minority amongst us.

Never have I suggested that sati, prostitution etc can be remedied by lesbianism. My sense of logic is not very strong; but it is not that weak. I talked about Sati, prostitution etc. just to show that the ancient culture was not all good. At any point of time any culture will have its strong points and its weak points. That was my only argument, TDU. Well, to be brutally frank, going to a prostitute is a far worse perversion than a same-sex relationship. In the latter there is love between the partners and there is a relationship which both respect. When a man goes to a prostitute he pooh poohs the sacred marital relationship he has with his lawfully wedded wife. It is an act of betrayal. I am surprised when we are not raising such a great hue and cry against prostitution, why should we do that against lesbians and gays.

I did not mean that opposing lesbianism is supporting prostitution. But making this kind of vociferous protest against lesbianism and letting prostitution subsist just like that, is like treating a person for common cold, while he suffers from cancer.

I would love to go on and on. But at present I cant, for various reasons. But this point, I want to make it in bold red.

Lesbianism or same-sex relationship is not an act of perversion at all. Psyhologists have been quite unanimous throughout the world that it is a kind of orientation in those people, a freak created by nature. It is not even a kind of mental illness or mental weakness.

Just a few excerpts for your information:

The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated "Sexual orientation probably is not determined by any one factor but by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences." The American Psychological Association has stated that "there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people." However, it states that for most people, sexual orientation is determined at an early age

But, the fact is that those who resort to lesbionism also tend to develop a hatred for men ( or is it that hatred for men have forced them into lesbionism?) which is as bad as the denying of equal rights to woman.

Generally lesbian couples do adopt a child. But I still think that it is naive on our part to think that hatred for men is a reason for lesbianism, forgetting for a moment it is almost a genetic predisposition. Whatever it may be I can assure you one thing - no girl on reading a lesbian story like what I have written will become a lesbian, or even aspire for it. But I am sure if my story is read with the heart in its right place, when we meet such people, we will treat them with that respect which any human being in this planet is entitled to.

With this, the defence rests, your Honour.

regards,

1 person likes this.
  7. Rashi

Rashi New IL'ite

Yes, my response was to Varalotti because (I guess I can speak for varalotti too) the shooting of men going to prostitute was a figure of speech. And neither varalotti nor I are going to engage in these kind of heinous crime. It was just to convey how much we hate those kind of people. I feel, gender does not matter, whether its a man or a woman, the one who has illicit affairs is condemnable.

As far as "gun culture" goes, don't assume (which you seem to be doing a lot) I am in favor of it. Why don't you start a post for that issue and I would definitely write my thoughts there.

Yes, the ignorance of my friends on how baby is conceived is "not laughable". I wanted to tell that even with "good education", the basic information about sex was not conveyed to them. Yes, unwed mothers are huge issue in India and abroad. But, in India, the girls do not get any support neither from families nor from the govt. and are forced either to commit suicide or go in wrong places (like prostitution). With the population and poverty in India, this issue is not given enough thought. In countries like Australia, where the government is trying to increase their population, they will definitely support "procreation".

For the AIDS issue too, there is not enough education and awareness and this is bound to create more and more victims, which is really sad.

I would also like to request you to post your views about the topics being discussed instead of dissecting others words.

Thanks,
    Rashi

2 people like this.
  8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamla,
    Aha! My patience has paid! (Not really, I was quite busy and didn't find time to post long FBs but still I wanted to make my presence felt in this thread!).This time it has become a little hot too! I would leave some of my fbs to Sridhar's reply and first reply to yours!
    I am in expansion mode now! Not that I like the happenings going on around but because we are all a part of the whole. I need to atleast acknowledge these even though I may differ in my views. I wouldn't call it survival instinct but certainly, I would not like to lose out on the joys that come from within for the sake of external disturbances. One thing I have learnt in life is that "NOTHING IS PERMANENT AND ALL ARE JUST PASSING PHASES JUST LIKE THE CHANGING PHASES OF THE MOON." (Do I sound too philosophcal?) But the truth is that I am enjoying every bit of the exchanges here in this thread! A silent witness till you disturbed my penance! :mrgreen:
    I think this whole thraed needs to be nominated for the best post for July! And Sridhar, for having inspired so many people to come out with their frank opinions!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  9. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Re: You are very careful, Malathi!

Dear Sridhar,
    I am sorry, I missed out on complimenting you on the anticlockwise clock! That was a beautiful explanation to justify the differently behaving people in the world who might not conform to the conventional pattern.(I wonder if such a clock exists or it was your imaginary creation? But certainly, that idea was unique!)
    "My idea is to broaden our outlook." You are doing exactly that with your story"She". If I remember I had mentioned about lesbians and gays in my feedback in the 6th episode and Loo! I see them entering into the picture! But compared to these people there are a worst lot. Atleast they do not harm others and live a life of their own. Now-a-days almost every other day we come across in newspapers about people with animal urge causing harm to their own kids(to put it in a decent way).The animals would put down their heads in shame when these monsters are compared with them. They deserve better respect. And yet we are just silent spectators and let them pass as nothing unusual. Our Religion has taught us "Thithiksha". And yet, there is one whole lot there waiting for every opportunity to pick up the sword and saffron flags to protect the Dharma! Newton's Law-"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" has always proved right. This is seen in the posts of the thread as well as the story. I am enjoying them thoroughly and would love to read the remaining episodes to expand fully!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  10. varalotti

Re: You are very careful, Malathi!

Dear Malathi,
    You are fit to head the Indian Embassy in the US or UK. You have been excellently diplomatic in voicing your views. That's really great.
    Regarding anti-clockwise clock I saw one in England when I visited there some 14 years ago. At that time I did not have the foreign exchange to buy the clock.

In fact the idea of using it came only after I saw the clock.
    And another evidence about the existence of the clock is Sudha's post right here in this thread. She has one at her home.

Thanks for the participation, for almost giving the concluding remarks on the discussion. Normally people who sum up the discussion in a GD (group discussion) get some extra marks. You deserve them, Malathi.

regards,