Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 3)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pragadha

Pragadha Senior IL'ite

dear chithramadam,

I have planned to make the corn flakes mixture. but i dont get the raw cornflakes from the departmental store. from where i can get that? I dont know where i can get the sago flakes. can i use rice flakes for that. Will that be good. shall we deep fry it? thanks in advance madam.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,

for lunch made Brinj rice with onion raitha. i have never before made such a flavourful rice. the freshly made coconut milk and the spice paste adds an addictive flavour and taste to this rice. with the onion raitha i couldn't stop myself... i was actually looking for the biryani served in saravana bhavan. but really this is much much better even though they're not the same:)

have put pillayar suzhi for deepavali with ottu pakoda. just finished grinding the rice and it's wrapped up well in thundu:) will give FB later on that.

Latha

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Pragadha, usually raw cornflakes is available in north indian stores around D time. If not, you have to abandon the idea of making it. Rice flakes will taste like mixture - I will not advise it.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Latha, Brinj rice is ine of my oldest recipes as well as earliest postings! I am glad you liked it.
    Shall await ottu pakoda FB!
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. prb16

prb16 New IL'ite

Chitramma,

Tried Kaju Katli yesterday. It was such a jiffy recipe and tastes great. Like you said, if we had everything ready, it was so easy to make. I don't think this on will last till diwali!!
    Thanks,
    Priya
    HPIM2903 (Medium).JPG

6. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.chitra,
    Just finished making ottu pakoda. I had soaked the rice last night. Followed yr tips and instructions and result super crunchy delicious OP. I did the non-garlic version. I was surprised to see that it did not consume oil at all. Thanks a bunch for these recipes. Amma is waiting for my fb too, she said she will make it in the upcoming week.
    Will be back with more Deepavali fbs.
    Regards,
    Deepa

7. Winniethepooh

Winniethepooh Senior IL'ite

dearest aunty,

yest had cocnut, lemon and thayir sevai to our stomach full...it turned out very soft and excellent. thanks for the recipe and also the correct measures. also made rava kesari yest on hubby's request. it turned out just perfect. he was asking for more and to his dismay the vessel was empty. today i made jeera rasam on kalchatti because amma said jeera rasam tates heaven if made in kalchatti and its only too true.
    sorry aunty, since yest we had a late dinner and went out could not write the fb.

thanks again for the recipes

love
    winnie

8. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.C
    A humbling tribute from me to you as i kick start my Deepavali preparations. You know that whereever am , come Deepavali, i always pop in to shower my praises for making it all possible.
    Cashew mysore pak tasted heavenly and Hooray! for the use of just 1 cup of ghee. Thats something i can tell myself to feel less guilty, i think.
    Badushah was a super duper success.I have tried layered Badushah with amazing results.The butter badushah, i had a problem, the first time around. The discs started disintegrating as soon as i put in the oil.I figured that i may have added extra butter.I started from the scratch and it turned out perfect.When i stirred the sugar syrup to make it cloudy, it soon started crystallising.Hence the frosty look.I made do with raisins instead of Cherries.
    As usual, thanks for everything.

Love
    SuBa.

Attached Files:

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear dear Chithramma,

First kutti FB for alu methi paratha. i got fresh methi leaves this week and had only this in mind. First time i'm doing with stuffing between 2 chapathis. I always thought this method will need more dough but no, not at all! i had to simply half each normal sized dough, make small discs, stuff and roll again. the filling didn't ooze out at all and the paratha was amazingly soft. I added channa masala spice instead of chat masala:)

Thank you is a very very small word. We all have turning points in life... to me joining IL and getting to know you has been one of the most significant...

I had called amma today and told her i'm kick starting deepavali with par-boiled rice ribbon pakoda. amma warned me that it'll drink oil. but i told her i'll try, give her a positive FB so she took note of the recipe:)

Chithramma this is my almost first try with murukku (i made kai murukku before). The proportion, instructions are sooo fool-proof. it took me 1.5 hrs to make the murukkus in my small saucepan. i'm sure it'll take less time with a proper vanali. I always thought one can never make successful murukkus without a vanali but here i'm really proud of my own achievement today. I only could draw parallels with Varalotti sir's thread in miscellaneous recipes about how not only quality but the recipe, nuances that are essential for a good outcome.

this is only my first step.. i have planned couple of more sweets and savouries for this diwali. as i was in the kitchen i thought of my own young days with amma preparing bakshanams for all festivals; i got married and missed those so much - never thought i could bring those customs in my own home. today i have, to feed the child in me and also my children... all thanks to my mom for having given me a cherished childhood and to you for helping me realise and relive those memories again... big hugs:)

so here it is 'garlic ottu pakoda'... unbelievably crisp, not a trace of oil, and such an elegant colour... sambadam thaan enkitta illa.. next time must bring those from home!

Latha

Attached Files:

10. Chitvish

Dear Priya, very professional looking katlis! the size is so uniform & I just can't believe!:)
    You have identified the patham perfect - the trick lies there!! Now for any occasion, 'kaju katli' can be your trump-card!
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.