Need Help - Travelling for the first time

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by divyasarav, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Dhivya,

Yes taxis are safe. you don't need to hassle on rates etc., the taxis are metered and it's upto you to round off the fare and extend a tip to the driver. tipping isn't a must but it would be appreciated esp when they help you with baggages etc., speak slow english and most drivers understand.

calling card is the best option. ISD rates, in particular, to asian countries is damn expensive. you can find calling/internet centres run by turkish/asian immigrants and they'll give you good rates.

Latha

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. divyasarav

divyasarav New IL'ite

Thank you for your help Ladies.

With the inputs from all of you, I am now fully prepared for the trip.

Thanks again

Divya

3. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

hi dgdo and maggi...my husband is trying to find a sponsered job in germany.we would like to settle there...i know this question is in no way related to this post..but sorry. i tried posting it with a seperate topic but was only dissappointed as there was no reply...
    would u guys b able to give us some info...
    he is into IT networking/telecom, 11years exp...
    we would like to know abt recruiting agents to find jobs in germany...agents in germany or elsewhere...
    is anyof u or ur spouse in IT field..would they b able to help us with info and suggestions.
    i would b more than happy if u can help us..all that we need is information and suggestions..my husband is pretty confident of getting a job..but would like to analyse the situation there and know the place and IT companies there.:)

Awaiting ur replies...

4. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

Here are some job portals thru which your DH can look for jobs and apply.

www.stepstone.de
    www.monster.de

Most of the job descriptions would be in German lanugage, but few would be in english as well, do check out.

Here knowing German Language is quite important. He can apply directly to companies in his sector even when there are no openings where in mostly you can get a reply.

Good Luck !

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

hi maggi99...thanks a million for ur reply..i am so happy ..i finally go a reply to my post..... anyways we are already browsing through monster and ur suggestion.. that the companies would call even if we apply directly really gives positive energy...
    would like to know if its quicker if we apply through job agents or recruitement consultants..any suggestions..recommended job agents?:)

I will b more than happy if u can help me little more info..thanks again:)

6. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

Here job agents normally handle contract jobs just like in India - Outsourcing. There are some agents who handle full time recruitment as well is what i got to know from DH will try to get you the name in my next post.

Here people / companies are very sincere, normally every email sent would be replied by the company folks sincerely, just in case you dont get a reply, you can write back and ask them as to what is the status.

Has ur DH been here to germany on deputation or so earlier !
    German language is quite important, i cud say the social life is quite restricted because of the language barrier. even the spouse has to mandatorily learn german as an integration course for about 6 months and get certified. This is just for your info

7. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

so nice of you maggi..thanks for ur informative reply...

we were living in finland for a year..and now in india..we had been there for a project .but germany..no.he has not worked in germany
    .he has worked in canada,belgium,US,Finland and few other places..all for his current company's project.So there was not much problem..i understand that its very important to learn the local language in european countries..
    But does it even apply for IT field ? Anyways once we are there we can work on it for sure..
    To be more precise we found a few openings in monster...stepstone is good but we need to translate each page..still its very useful..but we are not sure how good the companies are..If we find a suitable opening in a "company" about which(how reliable) we totally have no clue, we think if its safe...and we dont know anyone there to give us suggestion about such companies ..and now that the job market is jus gradually recovering from the slowdown we want to be safe but still try to get what we need and make a smart move.

He is pretty well experienced(11 years in IT sotware telecom/networking -routing switching,etc) and is in a good position in an mnc here..so the change which we want should be reliable, worth moving and through a stronger source is what we think..and we need workpermit sponsor.so thats what matters.

anyways ur posts are so informative and helpful maggi..would love to see more suggestions and informations from you. Thanks a lot for your help.:)

have a good day :)

8. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Rigama,
    Globalink - power translator pro v6.4 is a translator that you can download and install in your system for german english translation.

leo.com is one more online translator for words. both are better than the google translator.

Here germans like to read a lot, therefore put the experience in detail in CV. This is just opposite to US i cud say where in the US CV would be just 1 max 2 pages.

Mostly if the requirement itself the companies would have mentioned if they would be interested in sponsering visa or not. There are cases when the company gets interested in the candidate, it would go beyond and sponser the visa.

9. Rigama

Rigama New IL'ite

hi maggi..thanks for your motivating reply...i told my husband abt the resume and other things..we really feel good after reading your replies..

We shall further work on this and Please do continue to give ur thoughts and info on this..

BTW can i know if you or ur spouse is working in IT field? How long have you been there? Did you guys find a job there ..would be glad if you dont mind sharing your experience..

Let me tell about me:) I am a housewife currently. We are in chennai. I used to work but now i am more of a freelance singer. We hav a 3yr old son going to montessori.

Anyways Thanks again and Wish you and your family a happy diwali:)

10. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Rigama,

Nice to know abt you. Hey you sing, that so nice............. i love tamil songs like crazy.

Hey guess what my DH is also from your city. He did his masters here and then got into job. He is not exactly into IT but on the programming side of Mechanical stuff, having studied here getting job was quite easy.

Let me tell you something abt the germanites, here normally when a german gets into job they dont resign or change jobs at all... say even for 15 to 20 years or they dont change at all. More like our indian govt. jobs. That is mainly because people in all levels would be paid quite well.

My DH has been here for about 5 yrs including his time of study, however I dont like this place so much as language is a great hurdle where in i dont get job being a non-techi. We plan to move back to india in couple of years and as i want to work we are in the verge of moving to english speaking country where i can get job too. (this is just in my case, many indians are settled here and get adjusted)

Here the social security is good i cud say. If a kid is born here then the govt would pay some money every month for the kid and the insurance takes care of all the medical expenses for employee spouse and kids. And when unfortunatley if the employee loses job (there is some min 1 or 2 yrs one shd hv worked in germany) then govement pays arbeitslos geld (job lost money) for nearly an year.

And to mention netherlands is also a very good option to consider for jobs.