1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler still wakes up at night

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by geeta_sathish, Sep 30, 2009.

1. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter who is 16 months old is still waking up a couple of times in the night for milk. She drinks a couple of oz milk once in three hours and again falls back asleep.

Can someone suggest what I should do to make her sleep through the night?

Thanks,
    Geetha

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Geetha,

Try to cutdown night feeing day by day, our doctor advised us to stop night feeding from 3rd month itself(to understand day and night), unless kid wakes herself.

Mydaughter completely stopped night feeding from 6thmonth, started sleeping at a stretch from 8thmonth itself(10p.m-6a.m)...now she is 13months, we are making her to sleep herself on her own. We just put in between us during night times, she rolls for sometime, sleeps herself thesedays.(touchwood).

But it can't happen in a day, it took little time for us to do all this.

First try to reduce night feeding. Feed her complete dinner, so that she willhave sound sleep. Though she wakes, instead of feeding, try to put her back to sleep.

Try this for some days, surely you will find difference, then once she reduces waking in nights, try to make her to sleep on her own, instead of you making her to sleep.

I hope you will get some more suggested from others who have experience in this.

All the best.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  3. sailingboat

sailingboat Senior IL'ite

Is she eating her dinner? Generally kids wake up when they are hungry, so try to feed her good meal before sleeping. When she wakes up, try to cuddle her or just say no more milk in our home, i will get them in the morning. I used to do that for my kids. Just sing a song to divert her, or just give some water instead of milk.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Geetha,

Does your child still drink from a feeding bottle? then time to wean off:) my son used to wake up twice or thrice demanding milk even until 2.5 years. the moment we stopped feeding bottle he started sleeping through the night.

Latha

5. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks Usha, Sailingboat and Latha for your suggestions.

My little one was sleeping through the night till recently. For the past few months she has started waking up.. :( I am also in the process of trying to make her sleep by herself.. These days she does fall asleep on her own, if I lie down next to her for a while.. I am feeding her as much as she can eat...

May be like Latha said, it could be the feeding bottle. As she is still on the bottle, she may be waking up out of habit. Will try to wean her out of the bottle and see how it goes.

Thanks again,
    Geetha

6. peaches n cream

peaches n cream New IL'ite

what I used to do with my son when he used to wake at night is give him his milk with cereal in the bottle I find this is more hfulling for them.

7. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Geetha,

Try feeding about 6-8 oz of warm milk just before the little one goes down, so that you can be sure she will not be hungry even if she wakes up in between. And if she does, if she is used to pacifier that will help her fall asleep again.

My little one 14 months old is used to the pacifier and so this helps. But now she has learnt to fall asleep without the pacifier and we use it as the last resort, if needed.:cheers

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Geetha,

we had earlier discussed how to wean a toddler off the bottle. my son used to beg and plead for the bottle since he was over 2 and refused to give up. he used it as a pacifier and holding onto it while sleeping wasn't good for his teeth at all. we simply hid the nipples one day and told him it wasn't available in shops. he was off milk for quite some time but that was the only way we could stop him from using feeding bottles. first my suggestion would be to make him drink bed-time milk in the living room. i mean don't take him to bed with the bottle in hand. i do that for my daughter (learning from experience). also give milk in cup during the day first and then gradually stop using bottles in night. it will happen only slowly; a drastic change will make them adamant.

Latha

9. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi geetha,
    as truely said by other members, 1stly see to it that your dd has a filling meal at night...and then just before sleeping give her milk. if her stomach is full she can sleep throughout the night...also giving water instead of milk helps sometime. my dd used to get up every two hrs, so what did was increase the amount of milk which i used to give just before sleeping. that way she started wakinh up every four hrs....then when she started having dinner (fullfilling) followed by milk before sleeping....she slept whole night without demanding milk.

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Welcome back Zeenat.. You are in after so long! Hope you and kids are doing fine.