Need Help - Travelling for the first time

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by divyasarav, Sep 23, 2009.

1. divyasarav

divyasarav New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My company is sending me to Cologne for participating in an Exhbition in the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> week of October. As I am travelling alone, I would like to take some your advises and inputs.

I am booked at Euro Park Hotel. How much would it cost me to travel from Cologne Airport to the Hotel by Taxi? It is possible to settle the taxi by credit or debit cards. Will the taxi give me the receipt of the fare for the travel.

Should I carry cash in Euros or German Mark.

I have another female colleague who will join me from India at the hotel. We plan to go 1 day sight seeing in and around the place (not very far). Please suggest any ½ day or 1 day tours. How much would be cost on an average?? What about the Boat tours?? Inputs needed.

How about food?? Will we be able to get Indian Food. I am little anxious though we will be given breakfast and dinner at the Hotel itself.

Waiting to hearing from you all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Divya

2. dgjo

dgjo New IL'ite

hi divya,

first of all - bon voyage ;)

You will not have any problem in getting bill from any taxi in Germany. Since I am not from cologne i am not sure of taxi rents and trips.

Regarding Indian food, u better do a search in google for indian restaurants in Cologne. But I am not sure whether u can go to that restaurant in your busy schedule. You can find more of chinese, thai or asian restaurants in most of the places, where u can have close to indian taste( fried rice, noodles etc...).

In worst case, ready to give a try for, on the go german food items in kebab haus, that u can find in every alternate streets or McDonalds.

Enjoy ur stay at cologne...

3. dgjo

dgjo New IL'ite

Cash in Euros will be a good choice.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Divya,

I seldom take taxis but my husband does. I remember him mentioning that one can pay using credit card. I don't think a foreign debit card will work. But it's good to check before boarding the taxi on payment options. They definitely produce a bill. In Germany by law if a customer asks for bill they must provide.

German marks are not used anymore. Only euros.

It's been quite a while ago that we lived in Dusseldorf, close to Cologne and we have always taken visitors to the Koelner Dome (the cathedral) and a walk along the river. Most boat trips are not possible during autumn and winter. But check out the local tourist info (available at all airports and at main train station) for general ideas. Sorry can't help much on this.

You'll have to google to find Indian restaurants near your place of stay or place of work. But remember Indian eat-outs in Germany means standard north indian fare:)

Latha

5. divyasarav

divyasarav New IL'ite

Thanks dgjo and Latha. That was helpful... gave a fair idea...

Divya

6. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Divya,

Cologne Dom is quite famous for site seeing.

Few taxi accept credit cards but its better to have Euros with you.

Its gonna be cold and I see you are from Dubai, ensure you get warm clothing.

There are two europark hotels in koln. There are many indian restaurants, get the distance from google maps.

When bfast and dinner is provided in hotel itself, if you dont eat pork and beef and a NVegetarian then ensure that you eat only that is mentioned as Hänchen (chicken).

Eat in Subway than in Macdonals as in Macdonals pork fat is used to make french fries.

Be ready to compromise on food...

Have a nice trip !

7. dgjo

dgjo New IL'ite

when i came to germany, i was fooled by the word schinken. i thought it is chicken, because few german words resemble english words. But, the german word for chicken is hanchen, and schinken is something like pork..

8. divyasarav

divyasarav New IL'ite

Thank you Ladies for your replies.

By the way, i have few more doubts..

Is it safe to travel alone in the taxis..

Do people speak English?? or atleast they understand..

How about phone cards?? what are the cheaper options to make international calls from Cologne?

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks
    Divya

9. dgjo

dgjo New IL'ite

hi divya,

i m not sure of saftey in taxi. but i feel it is safe, becaz here rules and punishments are damn strict.

only very few speaks english. regarding phone calls, u can search for some internet call centres. they will be cheap, since they route the calls through internet. if u have access to any local landline(for free), then calling card is better option.

regards,
    darshi

10. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Its absolutely safe walking on the road mid night also. Taxis are Safe too. Mostly taxi drivers understand and speak a little english.