1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery: Kasuthi Work Instructions

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by jaymg, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Sangeeta,

Thanks for the appreciative words and also for your prayers. For a square neck line mark out the neck and then work the design fron the centre of the horizontal line till that end of the horizontal and then up the vertical line and return along the same path and come back to the starting point and now work the other side and come back to the starting point and finish off. This is similar to the lamp designss or gopur designs.

2. music1

music1 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the prompt reply.I will surely try it out and post my work once its done for your expert opinion.Then i will try another design on a saree.I don't feel confident enough to try it on saree now.

3. rpoornima

rpoornima New IL'ite

Hi ,

You cen get the 'Anchor Net' cloth for Kasuti embroidery from "Mridula's School of Embroidery" in Chennai. They infact have a tie-up with Anchor , Coats India. But I am not sure if they supply it seperately, they have been giving the Anchor NET only to the students who take up either the regular Kasuti embroidery course or through their distance education program. You can contact them to check the same.

Cheers!
    Poornima

4. rpoornima

rpoornima New IL'ite

Hi ,

Kasuthi requires quite a bit of technical knowledge in its stitch patterns and applications especially if you are attempting intricate designs on Saree blouse or on the Saree.

I am presently doing my certificate course in Kasuthi embroidery at Mridula's school of embroidery although through the distance education program. It is by far the best place to learn Kasuti especially if you are designing intricate and ethnic Kasuthi embroidery.

I will share some of the pictures of my Kasuti work on my saree in my next post

Cheers!
    Poornima

5. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Poornima,

Nice to know that you are doing the course in Kasuthi from Mridula's. I learnt from their regular course. Waiting to see your works.
    As for the net, I think they only give it to their students and do not sell them to outsiders.

6. Sailaja.hyd

Sailaja.hyd Senior IL'ite

Hi Jaya
    How are you. I am here after a long time. Hope everything is alright with you.
    I am a bit free now and hope to take up the kasuti.Did you post any more tutorials or designs after the design you posted on stylised bird? I didn't find any but I just wanted to make sure.
    Is there any way to get all your instructions and designs at one place, because there are lots on interactions in between?

Keep smiling

7. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Shailaja,

No, I dont have all the instructions in one place but interspersed here. So you will have to search. I did put a brief Kasuthi tutorial in Mary Corbet's Needlenthread. Search in regional embroidery. But mind you , it does not have all the designs.

8. music1

music1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayashree,
    I have finished doing the neck pattern on my salwar using the design which i had showed you.Now i'm doing the pedestal as the motifs.I finished the outer part as marked in the green color on your diagram.But got stuck while doing the inner part.How do you connect the betalnut flowers?I know we can connect them easily if there was only one row of zigzag stitches,but with three rows one below the other i really don't how to.Could you please help me.You have posted the pedestal design on page 8 of this thread.
    Thanks in advance.

9. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Sangeeta,

I have marked the outer colour in green and once that is done you have to work the design in a clockwise direction and many parts get completed on the return. Try all the patterns in matty as I have put all designs in sequential order and I am too busy now to start explaining from scratch.

10. Sailaja.hyd

Sailaja.hyd Senior IL'ite

Thank you Jaya. I am going to do all ur designs on Matty first and show you. Then I will so on kurtha.. I will post in a day or two or rather after Diwali.

Thank You.

I also have some colections of my own which I have been collecting for the past so many years. Those designs also I will attempt and then post.

Thank you

How are doing?
    Any other new works from you?