1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

friends after marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Deepi, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Deepi

Deepi Senior IL'ite

hi ILs,
    today i had to meet one of my friends.. she is married n has a yr old kid.. during lunch she asked me "wat do you think about being a good friend to a guy after marriage?" here guess i shud elaborate abt her husband.. he is from a orthodox family.. he had nvr had any gals as friend... and also he doesn't have many friends as such.. but this gal has a good number of friends.. and the guy she is talking to now is her college mate.. they both chat daily and yeah clear about its jus friendship.. the guy is committed n the gal is totally in love with her husband.. wat wud ur ans be.. pls gimme ur valuable suggestions..
    luv
    deepi

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Deepi

One question I have is...if your friend knows that she loves her husband and she is just friends with her college mate...why ask this question at all???:roll: do you ask such a question about any of your girl friends???that is it ok to have a girl friend after marriage???

As per me, it shows that she is not clear about her own feelings towards this college mate friend of hers!! or iis she confiding in him too much? i mean personal issues or marital issues??or about her husband?

Does her husband know about this male friend??

Those who have nothing to hide or nothing to be scared of, will be very open and wont question themselves or raise doubts about their friends..unless there is something cheezy about that friend or about her own self or the feelings they have for each other!!

If she is bothered about what her husband thinks....then let her introduce her friend to her husband too , that way she dont have to feel guilty about this friend..

However...to answer your question in short..there is nothing wrong in having male friends before / after marriage...provided we know where to draw the limits...and what kindof a friend ship we have with them..

3. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

i agree with srividya... when she is clear abt 'just friendship' and is the only one who knows how her hubby will react, then no one can judge/decide whats good for her!

4. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Deep
    Few husbands are pranky, when they find that their wife speak to another male. And ya I feel they dont understand the value of friendship. There are men / women who still think that their spouse should not be having a friend of the opposite gender.
    If your friend's DH is not one of such in character then let your friend know her DH about her male friend that she spoke to him today / met him. If her DH is not fine with it then let her reduce on the talks with her friend, FRIENDS UNDERSTAND and DH CANT BE A FRIEND.

5. kavyen

kavyen New IL'ite

I am not sure why this question came up to you. If her husband does not like her having men friends then she should definitely avoid it or keep it to a minimum (like not chat everyday). Such small steps sometimes are important to make a marriage work.

It would be the same for her husband if she did not like him having a friend (woman)

1 person likes this.
  6. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Certainly it is not bad to have a male friend. Important thing is to be sure to tell DH about him and not ignore it, thinking that he is a friend, like any other. Also, I find chatting daily with that guy is way too much. What do they talk? Is your friend guiding him or helping him or teaching him? If it is just plain chat, then there is no reason to do that daily.
    Sandhya

1 person likes this.
  7. Deepi

Deepi Senior IL'ite

hey thanks everyone for ur valuable suggestions..
    all ur points really made me give a gud explanation to her.. ok now this is wat i told her
    "jus tell ur husband tht u have a friend like this n u chat with him(i asked her not to tell dailyin the first talk itself).. from his reaction decide how to proceed with this"
    lets see how hes gonna react...

8. Deepi

Deepi Senior IL'ite

srividya,
    the question came up bcos she is not sure of how her husband might take it.. not tht everyone think tht friends are friends irrespective of the gender... hope u agree...

yeah as u suggested i have asked her to tell her hubby abt this friend

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Better to let him know upfront that so and so is a friend and introduce, and be open than have big misunderstandings later on.