Singapore-A Food Paradise!

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Singapore' started by uthra, Jul 3, 2007.

1. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

hi singapore friends,

life here is unique in the sense there is a constant encounter with things that are chinese-----people,food ,culture.
    please share your experiences in the above context here.

on my part.....
    i had initially great aspirations for the chinese food....but when i enter some food courts the smell is so repulsive. do you have any particular chinese food available here that you enjoy?
    any visit to the market displays some chinese vegetables that we had never known in india. have you found ways to use them in our ways of cooking

keep sharing
    :wave

2. vidhujagan

vidhujagan New IL'ite

Re: life in singapore

Hi Uthra,

It is great to see someone staying in singapore being so active in Indus Forum.Im Vidya also staying in SIngapore.

Regarding Chinese Food Im quiet repulsive also, the main reason being that Im a Vegitarian.But there are very few chinese foods that i like esp the ones that are sweet.

1.Have u tried any desserts such as Ice kachang(ice cubes are crushed into fine powder and then various syrups are added to it along with cut fruits).
    I also like Honey Dew Sago dessert which is my favourite( coconut milk+dairy cream+ honey dew peices+ sago+crushed ice).Then Bubur chacha and Tow swan .Both are Hot desserts usually like our sweet porridge.

2.I like Malay Sweets very much .something like the south indian Kollukattai.
    filled with coconut and sugar.U should try quay dada and Goreng pisang( Banana dipped in flour and deep fried!).

3.I like Coffee bun that we get here in Roti Boy shops.really hot hot .Got butter in the middle.I also like the Kaya Toast that we get in Kopitiams and also Teh Aliah(Ginger Tea).

4.U can also try POPIAH a vegetable roll kind of snack.

Then I made Malay dish called Nasi Lemak in home in Indian Style with the Pandan leaves and tofu fry that we get here.Tell me if ur interested Ill tell u how to make it.

Regds
    Vidya

1 person likes this.
  3. Jayashree2007

Jayashree2007 New IL'ite

Hi Uthra and Vidya:

Yes, the repulsiveness is only for us!! Pure Veges encounter this at all places! I like Chinese fried rice - without mushrooms and eggs!! So from my office if i go for lunch and dinner I make sure I tell this specifically..and as a side-dish I use ketchup/chili sauce.

I, with most others, hate the smell of durian fruit (jackfruit kinda fruit) and it is strong....sometimes even smells like.... u know what...heheee....Keep in touch.

Jayashree

1 person likes this.
  4. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

hi,

what is life in singapore thread worth without mentioning the durian....
    i am a fruits monger and eye the fruit evertime i pass by with doubts on whether i could buy it or not. of course any chinese would advice to take it. but i was wondering any indian out here has tried it.

and hey vidhya you have quite a lot of chinese favos on your list. hmmm.......ive never tried one.... i gave fried noodles at kk hospital food court a try and half of the plate went to the garbage can.

do provide the recipe for nasi lemak when you have the time

bye

1 person likes this.
  5. vidhujagan

vidhujagan New IL'ite

Hey Uthra,

Do u take Egg?In that case u can give a try to MEE Goreng(Fried noodles).Though Im not a Big fan of noodles still i like it.U can get it in Indian Muslim stalls in any Food Court.But do ask the guys to prepare it Vegetarian with egg only.DO taste the other dishes that I have mentioned. believe me ,I m very choosy in eating so dont worry whatever i Have mentioned are somewhat In taste of Indian food.

Then cuming to Nasi Lemak.One of my friend from malaysia taught me.It is just like our Variety rice only (coconut rice)but the Pandan leaves add a flavour to it, thats it.

Ingredients are:

Ponni rice or Basmati rice
    Cocunut Milk (U can get in any stores in small packets)
    Pandan Leaves(u can get in wet markets or NTUC or any other stores)
    Garlic and Ginger Paste
    Green chillies

juz make a paste of the chillies,Garlic and Ginger.wash the pandan leaves nicely and tie then into a knot in the middle of the bunch.then put oil in the tava heat it and fry the G&G paste nicely.then put the pandan leaves fry for a short while.In the pressure cooker put for approx one cup of rice put 1 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water + the paste and the pandan leaf+salt .Pressure cook it for three whistels.After the pressure is gone in the cooker , open and remove the Pandan leaves knot .

The side dish that goes with this is called Tofu fry.We can get Tofu from NTUC or wet market(It looks like exactly like Panner in big blocks made of Soya).Juz wash this tofu after u get in running water.Cut them into small cubes like panner.Fry them in oil for a while until they turn light brown in colour.Then make a paste of RED chillies + cumin seeds.Heat Tava add oil,then fry this paste for a while,add salt to it and finally add the fried tofu to it and fry nicley like how we do for potato fry.

DO tell me after u try this.

Vidya

2 people like this.
  6. nikhath

nikhath Senior IL'ite

Hi all:

Although am relatively new to this place, I love this place (lets 4get about the weather for a while). As expressed earlier in this thread, I too really miss the indo-chinese goodies here. But I love the different kinds of fruits and the variety of juices available here. (At Sweet Talk and Smoothie Passion).

Trust me Singapore is one of the easiest cities for Indians to settle. With a store like Mustafa and market like Little India, we get to enjoy all the essentials. What say buddy Singaporean ILs?? I also love the fact that in Singapore, Indians are well accepted and welcomed by locals in the society. My friends n relatives in Gulf and some parts of UK had a tough time making local friends.

About using local veggies in Indian cooking, stir fried veggies go very well with tandoori/fried/barbequed chicken/fish. Snow peas and long beans taste just as well with potatoes(just as aloo matar). Xiao Bai Chye is a wonderful garnish for curry noodles and egg fried rice. The non-vegeterians n eggitarians can have a delightful meal with egg paratha and chicken curry. Green tea with different flavours sums a feasty meals.

Finally all the bookworms cant stop raving about the libraries here. That's my two cents worth about life in Singapore. Awaiting to hear more from ILs.

Have fun.

Nikhath

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  7. priya24

priya24 New IL'ite

Hi IL'ites in Singapore!

You can try the Vegetarian stalls in the food courts here .. they serve yummy Chinese Vegetarian food! The smell from the other stalls is quite dis-agreeable for us vegetarians .. so we get a take-away. We usually have mee-goreng (its made without egg in the vegetarian stalls) or rice with an assortment of greens and tofu dishes. The vegetarian stalls here use tofu as a subtitute for meat ..

Check out this link .. a friend sent it to us when we were new here. Its a list of vegetarian eateries in Singapore:

Vegetarian Society (Singapore) :: Promoting Vegetarianism for a Better World

luv,
    Priya.

8. Swinder Kaur

Swinder Kaur New IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    There is alot more food to venture and enjoy rather than just Chinese Food. We have basically food from all over the world. And best of all you can have it customised to a Vegetarian way. Even Mexican and Western Food the Vegetarian way.

9. dbirlase

dbirlase New IL'ite

tamil nadu style swirl paratas

hi guys,

best place to get the swirl type paratas is at Gayathri's restraunt and the brindas.

Dinesh.

10. umaraj23

umaraj23 Senior IL'ite

Cornflake Cookie Recipe Please

Ladies

Need your help!

I am planning to prepare some Singaporean delicacies for deepavali.

I tried searching high and low in the internet and can't find any recipe on the following.

1) Cornflake Cookie
    2) Sujee
    2) Pineapple Tart

Will appreciate any reply towards the making of these special treats. Thank you!!