1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you proud to be a woman?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by puni88, Jul 4, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello All,
    Yes . I'm proud to be a woman.
    A woman first, and then a wife, lover, mother, daughter, sister and friend.
    If there's one thing I dislike is when I am told I can not do something. Especially when they say, "cause you're a woman". I look up to those women (my mother) who stood for what they believed in, sometimes sacrificing everything.
    I rejoice when I see women succeeding and not letting society's prejudices and stereotypes suffocate their dreams and desires.
    I am saddened to see how some women in the world are badly mistreated and disrespected solely because of their gender.

Please share your views,
    Punitha

1 person likes this.

2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Re: Are you proud to be a woman.

:yes:, I am proud to be a woman.
    I agree with you, and i hate the people who suppress women. This suppression is in action since centuries. Though, physically we are little weaker than the opposite gender, we are equal to them in all other aspects.

3. coolcool

coolcool New IL'ite

Hi Punitha,
    I read all yr postings since I like your views. You are a women wth full of self confident.
    Every person is different and with different thoughts.
    I am not proud to be a woman.
    If another jemma is there, I want to born as a boy.
    How can I feel proud to be a owmen?:idontgetit:
    Women, wife, lover, mother, daughter, sister, friends all are different role... man also has those roles like man, husband, lover, dad, brother etc.
    As discussed in another thread "Husbands are idots"(something like this), without others support we cannot do anything. Till marriage, I was proud to have my family name, dad's name as my last name and lots of freedom, I was working, taking decision myself etc etc. During marriage process, I felt ashamed myself being in the marriage market. Yeah, I am a postgraduate and was working in a s/w industry with 5 digit salary. So, my marriage market value was good and my parents could sell me easily. (I hate, I hate and I hate this process to the core) Guys parents treated my parents without respects (sometimes). Being a girls parents, they accepted whatever it is. I just couldn't do anything abt it. Then, once got married, my lastname replaced with my husband's family name and my husband;s name. what did they do from my birth to my marriage... nothing, but I should carry their name.
    oh God... I couldn't even write whatever I am thinking since I am a Mom. Yeah... I have to feed my toddler now. Have to cook dinner, clean .........etc etc...
    write u remaing my views tomorrow.
    Being a women, I couldn't even getting time to share my views.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear cool cool,
    I just read your post. Though i agree with you most of your points that you have raised, i am afraid i have a different perspective on this issue. Earlier ladies did not have the privilege to do many things and in the name of culture unreasonable 'rules' were imposed by the society. However, things have changed for the better now. Women in our modern society have the prerogative of maintaining the maiden names even after marriage. In fact many of my friends have maintained their maiden names even after marriage. In general, women are a force to reckon with in the modern society. Hope many in the forum agree with me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  5. Aniyaa

Aniyaa New IL'ite

I think men are superior to women only in terms of physical health...
    In all the rest we excel...:2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  6. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

its good to read all ur views. Now heres my view.Idon't think men r superior to women in physical strength.Its only a women who can carry her kid 10 months and who can bear the pain of labor. So even in physical strength we women r better than men. :)

7. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

hi all,

nice reading all your views. Yes I AM proud to be a women. I would like to Malathi's favorite line, " NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITH OUT YOUR CONSENT".

Women are multi taskers. I am astonished that highly qualified young women allow them selves to be oppressed.

I am very proud to say that my son, who I thought was very innocent, informed me that he is going to add my name as his sir name. :yes:

regards latha:wave

8. diana

diana Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

:yes: Ofcourse I am.

And why shouldn't I be. Today a woman is competent to a man in all aspects of life. Many a times women have done things what man haven't thought about. Today women are working sharing the expense of the house equally and also takes care of house n kids. Most men don't even help at home.

I agree that physically women are weak, but internally they are far strong. It is said that if a man and woman is affected by a same disease at the same time, a woman lives far more longer than the man who suffers and dies easily.

So cheer up friends and be proud to me a WOMAN.

Diana

A Joke to cheer you.

A woman arrived at the Gates of Heaven. While she was waiting for Saint
    Peter to greet her, she peeked through the gates. She saw a beautiful
    banquet table. Sitting all around were her parents and all the other
    people she had loved and who had died before her. They saw her and began
    calling greetings to her "Hello - How are you! We've been waiting for
    you! Good to see you."

When Saint Peter came by, the woman said to him, "This is such a
    wonderful place! How do I get in?" "You have to spell a word," Saint
    Peter told her.

"Which word?" the woman asked.

"Love."

The woman correctly spelled "Love" and Saint Peter welcomed her into
    Heaven.

About a year later, Saint Peter came to the woman and asked her to watch
    the Gates of Heaven for him that day.

While the woman was guarding the Gates of Heaven, her husband arrived.
    "I'm surprised to see you," the woman said. "How have you been?"

"Oh, I've been doing pretty well since you died," her husband told her.
    "I married the beautiful young nurse who took care of you while you were
    ill. And then I won the multi-state lottery. I sold the little house you
    and I lived in and bought a huge mansion. And my wife and I traveled all
    around the world. We were on vacation in Cancun and I went water skiing
    today. I fell and hit my head, and here I am. What a bummer! How do I
    get in?"

"You have to spell a word," the woman told him.

"Which word?" her husband asked.

"Czechoslovakia."

Moral of the story: "Never make a woman angry... .there'll be Hell to
    pay later!" <!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text --><!-- toctype = message --><!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text --><!-- toctype = message --><!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text --><!-- toctype = message --><!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text -->

1 person likes this.
  9. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear IL-ites..

Very interesting and thought-provoking thread.
    Yes...I am proud to be a woman indeed...we have our own share of outstanding achievements in this so-called man's world..

The only place where I wish I hadnt been born a woman was during my wedding where I felt that no matter how educated / earning the girl is, how modern her outlook is, 'girls' side has to 'bow' down to the groom's side, come what may and be on the 'giving' side...

I couldn't control the way my marriage happened. Even though my husband is the most wonderful person in the world and my in-laws are nice, my blood boils whenever I think of the tensions my parents underwent while my marriage was being conducted ....I couldnt do much then :((

:(
    Pavithra

PS: I am actually in tears now...

1 person likes this.
  10. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Nice views.
    Puni, I too hav felt ecstatic and rejoiced when seeing powerful , famous, achievers who are women..I feel they hav stood out of the society's views.They would have definitely crossed more hurdles.
    Coolcool, Sorry to hear that you hav so much hurdles too.But please dont feel dejected. Though not proud , feel equally happy to be a man or woman.We have more power than we think and use.Try using it positively.
    I have felt bad too when crossing such hard-for-women society.But what to do. Like everyone has some qualities in them..women will hav better qualities than men in something or other...Lets find what si it for each of us and exploit it.

--karthika