1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My decision to adopt a baby

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by achutty, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Y exactly..i agree with u SBRB , i am happy that ur agency understands you. CAn u tell me how long it takes for getting a child ? Wishing u good luck!!!!!!!

2. SBRB

SBRB New IL'ite

Hi Nittu,
    yes, we have filled in our forms for adoption at 4-5 places but everywhere the waiting period seems to be around 1.5-2years. it may be even more for a baby boy.
    we were quite discouraged when we heard this, but then we thought it is better to get registered in as many places as possible.
    you need to send them a whole set of documents which is quite a tedious process.
    i dont know when u r coming to india and from where u would be interested, but if you go to the website of CARA, you will be able to find government recognised agencies for adoption in india.
    well, i have also heard that some places like rajasthan, punjab etc., the waiting time for a girl may be shorter.......but as you see, we are also still in the waiting list!!!!!!!!!
    regarding the colour of the baby, most of the agencies will nod in aggreement to your request of matching.......i havent come across even a single agency that said that we should not consider it as important........
    moreover, they always say that u r free to get whatever medical tests u wish so that u r totally satisfied.........coz once the baby is handed over to you, then such doubts regarding baby's health might not be entertained later on..............

3. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

To SRSB
    After reading your reply i am really getting worried.:bowdown..since you are already in the waiting list,you rae almost near the goal. Still i haven't started the process. I will start after 6 months or so. May be in Bangalore i want to start. Few of my friends who had adopted told me that in chennai the waiting time is 4 months. So i thought i could achieve shortly. They allow selection of the babies,because parents must be happy with the adopted baby,then only it is good...Adoption looks tough compared to infertility treatment:rant
    Anyone knows more details on this. Please help us!!!!

4. lesasue86

lesasue86 New IL'ite

That's nice, you guys can think about adoption without thinking what your families might feel.

5. tiehxoxo

tiehxoxo New IL'ite

Adopting a baby is the best thing a person could do, for you get to give a chance for that child to live a happy life. Just make sure that you'll treat that child as if he/she was really a child of your own.

6. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hi Achu kutty
    you have taken a good decision.I am also married .,My husband always says that he dont want me to undergo the medical tortures. MY GYN doctor & adoption agency have encouraged us . we decided to adopt a child .I finshed all process within 1 1/2 years.we adopt a girl child .
    ALL THE BEST .

7. G3Suresh

G3Suresh New IL'ite

Hi,

I too had heard of long delays in adoption process but for us we registered in Dec and now have brought home our second daughter and she is adjusting very well - she is 4 months old. We already have one daughter and she was natural we wanted to adopt a girl child and hence went in for adoption. The agencies are very cooperative and helpful.

Let me know if you need the agency we went through.

All the best.

Gayathri

8. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

oh
    gayathri its such a beauty... u have a child in ur home in less than 2 months time.. congrats to u and ur family and have a great time !!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Gayathri, congratulation to your family on your new baby!
    We are also slowly moving toward adopting our second child. We were planning on starting it in a little while, thinking the home studies and interviews will take a long time. I have some trivial, but long pending health issues to sort out and I thought I will be able to time it right if I were to start now and then go through the healing aspect in the meanwhile. Apparently, I could be wrong. Do let us know, if you can, which agency you went through.
    Tks

10. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri
    I am happy for what you have done. Please tell us the agency,so that we can also approach them.Thank you in advance!