1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Medical Tests for a 7 week old baby before adoption????

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by SBRB, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SBRB

SBRB New IL'ite

Hello everybody,
    I am new here and like a few others, need a lot of guidance. My husband and I have decided to adopt a baby girl. She is just 7 weeks old at present. However, we are keen to get her medical tests done before taking this decision.Our paediatrician has listed out some tests but the agency says that some of these tests may not be conclusive as the baby is too small. Can anyone guide us regarding the important tests that MUST be performed to check the overall well being of the baby who is so small, like HIV, Thalessemia etc. SOS please help as we need to take the decision FAST!!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Congratulations on your baby!

Firstly, my hugs to you for doing this kind of divine act....I say that.
    I admire such people who have the courage to adopt a child for whatever reasons. :hatsoff

Now, coming to the question. Initially they check the baby's height/length, weight and head circumference. Hearing,vision is also tested,if I am right.

Then a BCG vaccination is given. This is the first one in all your immunization chart. After that they give you a vaccination list with the dates and you have to go and get it done that time.

I think this is all. Please check with the doctor again.

Good luck and happy Parenting.:cheers
    Adara

3. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

oops...sorry I think I have not answered your question. I was too excited to post my reply when I read that you are adopting that I overlooked your question all together.
    Sorry for that.

I have no idea about these tests. Sorry...

Let's hear from other ILites too.

Adara

4. SBRB

SBRB New IL'ite

Thanks nevertheless for such a prompt and encouraging reply. I wasn't even sure if anybody would read this query. Still, I do need to clear my mind regarding the tests that a 7 week old baby can be subjected to giving clear results.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

SBRB - I dont know what tests are actually done but as a pedi it seems to me that you really cant do more than a general physical (including length/weight/head circumference and a neurological exam) and hearing tests on a baby that young. HIV is done but the usual test can be false positive (if its negative then of course thats fine) in an infant. I dont know if you have a specific concern about thalessemia but we dont usually test for that unitl 3-4 mnths of age. A thyroid hormone level could be done too.

Vanathi

6. SBRB

SBRB New IL'ite

Thanks so much...in fact i really wanted to talk to a pedi for this issue. Cant we check thalassemia at this age??? what are the other life-long complications that we should try to check........whatever happens later is destiny, but right now, we want to take a well informed decision.........

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

As I said before a physical exam - checking all systems clinically - is about the only thing that can be done at this point. Any tests for specific diseases should be done only if there is a concern for that child (like a family history if you can get one or a particular ethnic group) - there are so many and most such diseases (like thalessemia) are too rare to consider testing in every child. Good luck!

V.

8. SBRB

SBRB New IL'ite

Thanks "Adhusmom"............i guess it is a relief to know that a disease like thalessemia is quite a rare one. we will try to see if there is some info about the medical history of birth parents.......

9. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    What is Torch test, that is recommended for babies?

10. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

SBRB- that's a great decisions. Cheers to you couple!! Bravo!!
    As an Audiologist the pre-adoption tests we perform are:
    First, a note- these tests can be done on babies as young as 2days old. So definitely possible in this case.

1. Oto-Acoustic Emissions (OAE)
    2. Brain Stem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA)
    Both these tests together can let you know of the hearing status in the baby. If the results show some delay in responses, it could also give a hint at delayed development in the baby, which when put together with other medical tests can give you a good idea about the growth and development patterns of the baby.

Durgapriye- am repeating my reply here, so that others could read it too.

TORCH is a first-level blood test to check for:
    1. Infections the child might have had in the past and its its effects on the growth and development of the baby.
    2. To look for causes of birth defects-if any.

Medically- its an acronym standing for 5 different organisms, whose antibodies are measured in this test- Toxoplasmosis, Other infections (syphilis, hepatitis-B), Rubella, Cytomegalovirus, Herpes. Each of these could have serious effects on the growing child and hence this an essential test or a pre-requisite for adoption.

Hope i answered your questions. Would be more than happy to clarify if need be.
    Good Luck to you both :thumbsup

1 person likes this.