1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Best cooking set to buy!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Sri33, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sri33

Sri33 New IL'ite

Hi all
    I am planning to buy cooking set.
    Any cooking sets which can last for some decent time.
    I checked in khols, sears but wasn't sure which one is good to buy because
    in the past I bought some from costco, which didn't last long.
    So, pls suggest some good brands.

~ Sri.

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I bought a kitchenaid 5-ply stainless steel from amazon.com and a farberware millenium stainless steel set from kohls few years back. They are in mint condition, I use them regularly and put them in dishwasher.

Costco's kirkland brand stainless steel ones have good reviews, same is with tramontina brand triply ones that gets sold in sam's club. Cuisinart chef's classics is pretty good too. Macys had it on sale recently. You can get 7pc set for about $100 but they are bomb proof. I bought gordon ramsay wok from smartbargains.com. This wok works as good as a AC wok. Try to get some heavy stainless steel ones, they will last a lifetime.

-Uma

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Farberware is tough and lasts decades and (unless they have changed it) you can get replacement handles. I have some heavier stainless but Farberware cooks well and isn't so heavy. I like non-stick fry pans and usually buy TFal in that. Recently I bought a Caphalon wok (at their outlet for a fraction of the retail price) and it is really good but don't know how long its going to last. For a big steamer and also a spaghetti cooker I have professional Leyse aluminum. I use Visions spouted pan for making chai. Its glass so you have to take care but I think it makes better chai and easier to clean. It boils fast and hot.

4. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

You have to buy 304 Waterless stainless steel cookware if you want it last for long time. 7 ply construction is pretty good. If you buy USA made one you have spend $2000 but if you buy china made it will come around $300. All other cookwares leach toxins to food. If you want to test your cookware is good take 1 TBS of baking soda and add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil nicely and then try to drink that water you will see how can you cook in that type of pan. All the Indian cookwares even prestige stainless steel pressure cook will give yellow color. It is very dangerous.

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

OH ... First time I'm hearing this, :shock: that too about Prestige too !!! Then which brand is safe, can you share ?
    I've been using Meyer steel vessels as I find they are very good with reasonable price... now I'm wondering :confused2:

6. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Try googling waterless cookware. All the waterless cookware sets are made up of surgical stainless steel which will not leach any toxins in to food and also they are heavy weighted pans it will cook in all sides plus they will not stick food into pans because you have cook in low temp. They are all made up of min 5 ply. Much better than ordinary ones. If you want to test your cookware do the baking soda test.

7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Better to be informed of such things as daily we are feeding our body the food cooked in steel vessels. So vital to know what the vessel is made of as unknowingly we may be doing more harm to ourselves.
    Thank you for this info. Brinda .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

You are welcome Grace. Yes the cookware which we are using to cook everyday for the whole family is important and we have to make sure we use the safe cookware. As my son had several problem I am forced to buy a nice cookware set. Now I am worry free that I am not harming my family using teflon coated aluminum pans or toxic stainless steel.

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I have read about 18/10 stainless steel being toxic to health because of high Nickel content (Nickel is a potential carcinogen). But we have some such things everywhere around us including the air we breathe, the salt we eat, the water we drink etc. Indian people have been using stainless steel, hindalium etc for years together now. Some of these are just marketing jimmick, as I can think.

-Uma

10. Sri33

Sri33 New IL'ite

Hi all
    Thanks a ton ladies.
    I am learning so much from this website very informative.

Thanks to all.