1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to occupy toddler???

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by cheer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Aanya is 19 mth old.............& now i don't know how to occupy her??? I don't want her to watch TV.........weather is also changing so in a few months we can't go for a walk & i'm wondering how to occupy her???

She loves books but now she already know lots of things & she started boring. she doesn't like to play with her toys.........

Looking forward for some good suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Cheer, at around this age we were doing:

Alphabet/colours/shapes/counting - none formally; all through games/songs etc.

Helping in housework - dusting/sorting clothes (esp socks is good for teaching matching)/ putting away toys

Water and sand play - inflatable tub; also used to let him mess about with water in the bathroom (pouring from one cup to another)

Art - crayons/finger paints/water colours, later on colour pencils and a magnetic drawing toy

Songs - the action kind esp.

This last 2 months I've also started on a craft-a-day; thats been great fun. Through all this of course we read ; if she's bored with her baby books get started on stories. If you arent doing it already then start another language (in my case DS is learning the names of everything in English now). Its tough some days but more fun than ever :)

V.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

1. homemade play dough
    2. montessori toys (the shoe lacing, bead lacing, hammer the shapes in kind)
    3. new books, crayons, colouring?
    At that age, I started rotating things around. Books, toys disappeared before I brought them out as new.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

In addition to these some kind of physical play will be good. Do you have a mall with a play area nearby or access to an indoor play ground/play area? Many gyms in US offer a baby play center and baby can play while moms exercise. See if something like this is available for a change a couple of times during the week during the cold weather for a change in routine. Also check out library programs for children.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Oh yeah I was going to suggest playdough and indoor physical play - you two beat me to it :) Indoor football is a hit at our house.

V.

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

V and S, moms (great minds, substitute as you choose ;-) ) think alike! I was just talking to another couple with a 16 month old. As the child becomes more independent of you, keeping him/her constructively occupied seems to be the most challenging part of parenting.

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Cheer,

Very good suggestions from the ladies. Adding a few:
    • Get a CD of rhymes, songs, small prayers and both of you can sing along.
    • Teach her colors, sorting & matching
    • Give her few A1 size drawing sheets and some water colors. Kids like mixing colors. But take care her coloring is restircted to sheets only. We have some cute prints of baby hands on our walls :rotfl
    -Lakshmi

sindmani likes this.
  9. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

thanx a lot everyone, those were wonderful suggestions. I'll sure going to buy some of the stuff especially play dough.

Now a days i really don't get rest, whole day she needs attention. Yesterday i tried to teach her "ABC" but no interest. Now here autumn is ard the corner, she can't go much outside for play or for a walk. So i'm looking forward for some indoor activities.

I really need to occupied her somewhere.

Keep going some good suggestions.

Once again thanx a lot:cheers

10. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

You can buy couple of puzzles like shapes, ABC,123 etc., even though they don't know they can do with the shape of the letter. My DD used to love the puzzle with different shapes and ABC..

You can buy the small toy stroller with the baby so that they keep moving the stroller at home and many kids like this activity..

crayons is a good option.,

will write some more when it strikes...

enjoy and take care