Famous Banedi Bari Durga Pujas

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by shaliniku, Sep 8, 2009.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Let me tell you something about the Durga Puja that I like the most to visit in Kolkata. That is the Shovabazar Rajbari Durga Puja. Durga Puja is performed in two houses of the family, located close to each other. But the Shovabazar Chhoto Rajbari Puja is famous and beautifully organized. I try my best every year to visit this puja and spend at least an hour in the beautiful ambience.

The original residence was made by Raja Nabakrishna Deb, who was the famous exponent of Hinduism during the Brahmo Samaj Movement by Raja Rammohan Roy. The Durga Puja was initiated in the year 1757 after the Battle of Plassey.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009

2. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

Yes, I have also visited the Sovabazar Rajbari Puja. I once heard about it during a program on the TV. I was able to visit the Sova bazar Rajbari Puja when I visited Kolkata. If I recollect correctly, there is metro rail stoppage at Sovabazar, is it not ?

3. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

The Durga Puja of the family of Saborno Chowdhury is one of the most famous Banedi Bari Pujas of Kolkata. The Puja is considered special for great devotional intensity and traditional rituals.

The family of Saborno Chowdhury hailed from Hali of Naihati and had later settled in Birati. Finally they migrated to Barisha in Kolkata. Pratapaditya was an able ruler of Bengal at that time. But he turned out to be conceited and corrupted. Basanta Ray was his uncle who had brought up both Pratap and Lakshmikanta. He gave them lessons to run the zamindari and have administrative skills. What followed was very interesting.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. aditimajumder

aditimajumder New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello Girls,

The Bhowanipur Mullick <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bari</st1:place></st1:city> Durga Puja is one of the banedi pujos of kolkata.
    The Mullick Bari Durga Pujo started nearly around 15<sup>th</sup> century. Since the year 1925, this pujo is held at the Bhowanipur residence. The idol is worshipped in ‘Ekchala’. There are two different locations of this family where the pujo rituals are performed – ‘Annapurna Dalan’ and ‘Durga Dalan’.

Aditi

5. bhaswatismiles

bhaswatismiles New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="Street"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="address"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello Everybody,

This pujo was started by Ishwar Ram Dulal Deb (Sarkar) at his <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Beadon Street</st1:address></st1:street> residence in the year 1770. Presently it is known as Chatu Babu Latu Babu. Till Sasti starting from Pratipad, puja is performed on the 'Ghot' without the idol. From Saptami, after the ‘kola bou’ ritual, the idol worship begins.
    It is one of the famous banedi pujos of Kolkata.

Take care,

Bhaswati

6. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

You are right Shefali, both the Rajbaris are located very near the Shovabazar Metro Station and Jaipuria College.

The Durga Puja rituals of Shovabaazar Rajbari commence on the Ratha Yatra day. On that day the wooden framework of the idol is worshipped. The Durga idol is created inside the household. At Shovabazar Rajbari, Bodhon is fifteen days before Nabami. To the Deb family, Goddess Durga is the daughter of their household idol, Gopinath Jeu.

Durga and her family are made inside one single “chala” and hence the idol is called “Ek Chala”. The idols are decorated with ornaments made of delicate siver foils. This “saaj” is known as “daaker saaj”. These foils were earlier imported from Germany and they came through post or “daak”. Thus the decoration came to be known as “daaker saaj”.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Lakshmikanta grew up to join the administration of Jassore and proved to be a worthy ruler. Pratapaditya got envious and murdered his uncle near Budge Budge to claim himself to be independent. Lakshmikanata was so aggrieved and heartbroken that he resigned from the royal position and returned to Kalighat. At this time, Mansingh, the powerful Mughal general was sent to Bengal. He knew about Pratap’s power and was aware that it was not very easy to outdo him in warfare.

Mansingh was a disciple of Saint Kamdev Bharmachari who was Lakshmi’s father and who had blessed him to punish Pratap. Mansingh defeated Pratap and requested Lakshmi to grace the throne. But when Lakshmi refused, Bengal fell into the hands of Mansingh. Lakshmikanta Roy Mazumder and his associates received large acres of land (almost eight parganas) as Gurudakshina from Mansingh. Lakshmi was also made “jagirdaar” in 1608 and was a very famous zamindar.

Later they got the title “Chowdhury” and their “gotro” was Saborno. Their household Durgapuja is older than Kolkata and is believed to have started in 1610 by Lakshmikanta.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. sriparnaguha

sriparnaguha New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Hello Girls,

To Piya, I am really impressed with your wide knowledge about banedi durga pujo. You have done good work really. I dint know all these facts about Saborno Durga Pujo, thanks for sharing this information on IL. I hope to read more facts like these.
    Please don’t stop posting…

Take care,

Love,

Sriparna

9. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

The idol of Shovabazar Rajbari is decorated with gold ornaments like “bindi” and nose-ring. These are the only metals used.

The ritual named “Belbaran” or “Amantran Adhibash” breathes life in the Goddess on Shashthi.

Earlier cannons were fired at the time of Sandhi Puja. But today, a gunshot replaces the firing of the cannon. A couple of years back, the Sandhi Puja timing was 8-45 am and I was fortunate enough to be present at the Shovabazar Thakurdalaan at that time. A senior member of the Deb family, Alok Deb, fired the gun at the exact “sandhi” moment, i.e. the moment that joins Ashtami with Nabami.

I was lucky to sit on that auspicious “dalaan” with my friend and closely watch the entire holy “sandhi puja” with immense gratitude. I think that was an once-in-a-lifetime experience and I will always carry the special memory in my heart.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

The Durgapuja held by the Saborno family was known as “Barisha Saborno Ray Chowdhury Durgotsav”. They had a total of seven Durgapujas in their family. Six were held at Barisha and one was held at their Birati Bari.

Under the Aat Chala, i.e. the courtyard with eight pillars and a rooftop with no walls, Sutanuti, Govidapur and Calcutta were sold to the East India Company at an amount of Rs. 1300. The legal document had the signatures of Manohar Mazumder, Roop Chand Mazumder and Charles Iyer, Job Charnock’s son-in-law. Anthony Kobiyal’s grandfather was also present as one of the witnesses.

The flavour of a zamindar family can be felt even today when one visits the Chowdhurys of the Saborno family during the Durga Puja.