Haritalika

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by Muktachabda, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Muktachabda

Muktachabda Senior IL'ite

This is also called [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Harvest Festival. Like the Kali puja in Bengal, this festival [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Celebrated on a mammoth scale in Maharashtra,
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    As Bhadrapad, the last of the monsoon months begins, it brings the joyful festival of Ganesh Chaturthi.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The arrival of Ganesha on the fourth day of the bright half of Bhadrapad is preceded by the celebration of Haritalika, the day of Harita Gauri or the green and golden goddess of harvests and prosperity.

A lavishly decorated form of Parvati, Gauri is venerated as the mother of Ganesha. Women fast on the day till the worship rituals are over and wear green bangles, green clothes, golden bindis and kajalto signify their sowbhagya. They distribute beautifully painted coconuts to their female relations and friends and offer fresh fruits and green vegetables to the goddess in a gesture of thanksgiving. When the rituals are over, they eat a feast of jaggery and rice patolis steamed in banana or turmeric leaves, kheer ade from coconut milk and rice and mixed vegetables cooked with spices and coconut milk. Tender coconut water is the treat of this day.
    [/FONT]

2. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

Hey mukta...:)

Thanks for starting this thread...
    Hartalika is one of my favourite festival.
    This is a day when I observe a fast and really love the festive atmosphere...

And it is a busy day too, as everybody is busy making arrangements for the Ganesh Chaturthi the next day...

But you know what??
    This time its going to be very special...because both Hartalika and Ganesh Chaturthi are on the same day...and that's tomorrow...

I am really excited about the celebrations...:)

3. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

So ladies...

How many of you celebrated Hartalika...
    And how many of were on a fast??

I cant believe I actually did it this time...
    There was kirtan all night...and we could only eat the next morning...
    But that's ok.
    Anything for a good husband...
    Right ladies...
    :)

4. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

[​IMG]

‘भाद्रस्य कजली कृष्णा शुक्ला च हरितालिका ।’

Regards

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009