1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Small bugs in food items

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by NandiniGG, Sep 4, 2009.

1. NandiniGG

NandiniGG Silver IL'ite

Hi guys,

I need your help urgently.
    Recently i can see a lot of small insects(sursuri) in rice,flour,lentils as well as i saw flying fruit flies like insects also in chana and one boxof spice.
    The thing is i am not able to get rid of flying fruit flies.Its everywhere...it flies and roam aroung the whole house..as soon as i open a box i think it enters.
    I saw so many on the wall and wood of the kitchen cabinets.I don't feel like cooking anything or eat anything at home now.
    I have cleaned the kitchen and changed all the jars in which i keep food items.Still i can see them in my cabinets and trying to enter into the jars.
    Even if the lid is slightly loose it will enter.
    Please suggest me how to protect my kitchen from them as well as get rid of them.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

2. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

I recently read that putting a couple of bay leaves in the flour or grains will prevent them from taking accomodation in the food items. Not tried it though.

3. Kelly

Kelly New IL'ite

I know that fruit flies tend to come in the house when there are ripe banana's and sweet smelling fruit. So maby if you have sweet fruit left outside in kitchen, you may want to keep it in the fridge.

4. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

In the flours and rice you can out red dry chillies 4 to 5 piecies...

5. SandyTM

SandyTM Junior IL'ite

Hi.. I had a similar prob and i had to throw out most of my food. I do the following these days:

You can keep the flour and masala's in the freezer for a few days. This would kill the larvae or eggs of these insects or it will curb the growth of any.

I put cloves and tea bags in my rice, aata and sooji containers. This has had some good effect.

And most important make sure that you do not use outdated masalas.

6. SandyTM

SandyTM Junior IL'ite

And to add to my earlier post I bought a "Hot Shot Kitchen bug killer" from home depot here in US and sprayed it all over my kitchen cabinets