1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I cut my longhair or not?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by aswini, Sep 2, 2009.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I need some opinion about my hair. I have a very long hair - sits below my hips. Its thick alright but had lost much volume after coming to US.
    The problem is my hair is not straight and gets tangled so much that I have to spend 20 mins minimum to get it detangled and braid it.

I have been wanting to do a haircut to make it more manageable. My husband likes my hair a lot and he is not ok with me cutting my hair. Wherever I go here in US, I would get atleast one comment about my hair making my problem even worse. My husband says I shouldn't cut my hair since everyone says its so nice. I went to a couple of parlours in India and they were not ready to cut my hair!! Seriously!! Why do you want to cut such a long hair when everyone is trying to grow it. I get brainwashed and return home without cutting my hair.

I use conditioner but still cannot avoid the tangles. I am getting really pissed off trying to detangle it everyday.

Now tell me should I cut my hair or is there any solution to my problem? I saw there was something called "Relaxing" treatment. Will that help?
    I have been having this dilemma for quite sometime whether to cut or not. I like my hair too but not with tangles. I like my hair to be straight and without any tangles. But don't know if thats achievable.

Please tell me if I should cut my hair no matter who says what or should I try some treatments and see if it will help? Please help.

Thanks,

2. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Hi Aswini,
    I also have thick,curly and long hair too. My hubby loves it and does not let me cut short. I go to the parlour for hair straightning for parties and other occasions. Other than that, I untangle my hair and braid it everyday because straighting too often damages hair.

Initially I had the intention to cut it short but not anymore as one of my friend with long hair cut short and her hair has gotton worst now. She regrets everyday when she sees my hair and I learnt a lesson seeing her experience. Even with short hair its not easy to make hair look pretty if its thick and curly.

Thanks
    Shyl

3. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

hi

even my husband loves my hair and will ask me not to cut hair unless if it is badly required. When i had the problem like you i tried Vitamin E treatment which gave a good result.. So i dont have any worry at all..

4. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Hi Aswini,
    Read your post. No need to cut your hair. Long hair is God's gift. :) Even after cutting your hair, If tangle persists what will you do. :hide: I too have the similar problem. See in my case my hair is short. I think then i should go bald.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
    First of all let me know what kind of hair oil, shampoos and conditioner if you use?
    :ideaUse coconut milk+ lemon juice+ curd. it'll straighten the hair. Also never leave your hair open. Comb it neatly and braid it. While applying oil to your, apply little bit of oil to the hair. The greasy effect will minimize the amount of friction and tangles. Use a tail comb to detangle your hair.
    Also while washing your hair, filter the water. Even the dirt particles will cause this. Use a scarf or cover your hair when you go out.
    Any more clarifications??????

5. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Brinda,

Could you please tell me more on Vitamin E treatment and the cost and where it can be done? Thanks in advance for the reply.

6. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot Shel,shyl , brinda. Whenever I see these American women with soft hair, I get jealous of the soft hair they have. I use Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner. I apply oil once a week and wash it off in one hour.

I will try coconut milk treatment. Anyone aware of the relaxing treatment thats done in parlours? Do you think its worth to give a try?

Thanks you all.

7. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

No please do not get this relaxing treatment done I beg you. It will only mess up your hairs more and make them look ugly. Trust me just work with your hair and do deep treatments to make them soft. Braid them all the time and learn to love your hairs. Oil with coconut oil and try to not use western products they only mess up your hair more. Use coconut milk, curd and pretend you live in olden day India when they had no commercial products its what I do and some other indians I know. This will be the best treatment you can give your hairs I promise :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Thanks Asha for the warning. I was very tempted to try the relaxing treatment since my hair was getting absolutely unmanageable.

Also, I have a doubt in the coconut milk treatment. I don't get coconut here. even if do, I don't have the coconut scraper etc., to scrape and grind to extract coconut milk.

I get canned coconut milk in stores here. Can I use that?

Thanks,
    Aswini

9. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

You can get in can but make sure there is no added water or sugars it should only have a perservative added and thats it.

I use thai brand coconut milk when I cannot get my hands on a coconut.

10. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

HI Aswini,
    Dove dry theraphy shampoo will make your soft. What is your opinion about Garnier shampoo? one of my hair fall had heavy hair fall. Atleast daily apply 2 or 3 drops of oil to your hair. If you apply oil once a week, Definetely your hair will get tangled. I think this is the root cause for your problem.
    My personal opinion: Whatever treatment you do in parlour for your hair, its mere waste of money only.:)