1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Guide abt Pharma Jobs in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cutekid, Aug 18, 2009.

1. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

We are planning to apply for jobs in US. Any guidances please.Which are the main job portals?Say for eg. in india people go for Naukari.com or so.We are planning for 1 year from now.Right now just starting to sort out the potential employers,salary etc. And whether it is really worth to leave job from here (singapore) & relocate,whether the salaries will be sufficient & all.
    Right now we are earning abt USD 6K$ (both me and my hubby).We are phd+2exp & master+5yrs exp in R & D field.Can we get more than that there?

All ur inputs are highly appreciated.We may have baby till then.So have to consider abt that factor also while calculating the cost of living.

Thanks & regards,

2. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Cutekid,
    Right now market is very bad here in US, so i wouldn't suggest moving from singapore where you are already settled with a good job. maybe once it picks up u can think abt it, just my suggestion, but do think abt it and take your decision. here many i know are struggling to keep the jobs, many are relocating to india etc.
    Good luck with ur decision.

3. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi chaaral,

Thanku so much for ur suggestions.Actually here & in India if we have US exp is valued much.Hence we were think for coming there for a while.Let see if the market stabilizes in a yr.but still anyone specifically from Pharma field...plz pour in some suggestions.& job portals....

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

What kind of job in pharma field are you in to?Clinical IT or non clinical IT?
    i am also working in a pharma company, actually as of now, next few months are worse due to all the major mergers. my project will also get over soon, but i plan to take a break for a while now. Hopefully it gets better soon by next yr.

5. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi Chaaral,

It was nice to get a reply from u.I am from formulations & hubby is from pharmacokinetics.

How to apply for jobs there?
    What should be the expected salary range?
    Which are the good job portals?

We are planning for next year.Thanks in advance for all the help.

6. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

Hi Cutekid.

If u r looking into pharma jobs in companies when u r outside USA...sorry to say the roads are too rough.Pharma companies expect u to be personally present here in USA for their final round in their selection process and there comes the biggest issue..VISA..

So they tend to lean towards candidates who r already present here.So unless u r here in the US ..this is gonna be a nightmare.So the best way to come here as a PostDoc and later enter into a company.As others said in this tough economy landing a job is tougher even for GC holders and Citizens and companies have started expecting this as a criteria since they dont want to handle all those immigration issues.

So my 2 cents...try finding a postdoc position here(u will probably able to earn the same thats is arnd 6K USD for both) and u can start u r search from there.

All the very Best...

7. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi Saustin,

Thanks for the suggestions.This is indeed very true I find the same criterion here in Singapore also.With a baby whether 6K is enough.In asian countries,its enough say 6-10K SGD is good.My hubby will plan for postdoc.Hence I was wondering if we come with one person's scholarship will it be enough?To support that I wanted to work.
    Even I dont mind considering job of Pharmacist as I heard its highly rewarding.Till we are settled I can practice that.My friends have qualified the exams for getting registered there.But basically I am more inclined towards research.
    Thanks & will be glad if u can keep sharing any helpful info.

8. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

Hi cute kid...
    I'm talking abt both u r salaries together and in USDs...hope u got me right.
    I have known many families who managed with even 2 kids.So it all depends on u r lifestyle.If u come in J1 visa u r exempt from taxes and u can apply for GC too.But u have to spend for u r GC process.the spouse will hold the J2 visa and u can apply for employment authorisation and u can work too...any job..

9. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Sounds encouraging.Thanks for ur advice. :)