Eco-friendly Ganapati - Go Green

Discussion in 'Western India' started by bhavnaparikh, Aug 18, 2009.

1. bhavnaparikh

bhavnaparikh New IL'ite

Ganesh Chaturthi is approaching and I felt it is important to discuss the importance of Eco-friendly Ganapati idol. Just imagine the number of idols that are made and worshiped in each household apart from the community ones. We pray to Lord Ganesha, feed him, invite family, friends and strangers over to admire him and take his blessings. And after the 3 days of all the royal treatment immerse Ganapati Bappa into a waterbody.

But have you thought, what happens to the residuals of the idols. Are you concerned if the Ganpati idol you buy is made of eco-friendly clay or insoluble POP? Does it really bother you, if the colour used in the idols will contaminate the water after the statues are immersed?

Time for Reality Check... Please share your views.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hello Bhavnaparikh
    This is an interesting topic you have brought up. I like the idea of Eco friendly. Dont think many have thought about it...or maybe they have but have not voiced it or ignored it..... Surely something useful to think about. Not just Ganesha, but any idol immersion should follow that principle. I will surely keep a tab on this thread to see what everyone thinks about this. Thx for starting it.

3. Hetalpanchal

Hetalpanchal New IL'ite

Great though Bhavna. :thumbsup
    knot2share, you are absolutely right, we do forget the basics and the consequences of things we do. It is true, that people are least concerned if the Ganesh idols are made of clay or P.O.P. What matters is the price or the look.

I guess P.O.P idols may be priced less than clay ones as clay modelling is a long process while those in 'plaster of paris' can just be made by pressing into a Ganapati 'mould'. :roll:

Do you know anything about that? How do I ensure a eco-friendly Ganapati this year?

Hetal

4. amandeepkohli

amandeepkohli New IL'ite

Eco-friendly Ganapati!!! What a great thought, Bhavna. How many of our ILites believe in this? It'll be great to know your views.

I'm in full support of this 'Go Green' idea. Where can I get clay idols and if I can't manage to get what is the alternative?? :confused2:
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

The other day I was going through the net and on a Wikipedia site or maybe another one, not too sure, there is a mention of many groups of people who are now becoming environmentally aware and trying to force measures to stop contamination of water resources by immersion of idols made of harmful materials. At a couple of well known immersion locations in Hyderabad, for instance, they have totally banned immersions from being conducted at those places. The authorities have suggested things like using a permenant idol every year and performing a token immersion only. Sounds very reasonable to me. Please have a look on the net. If you search on google for Green Ganesha, lots of interesting articles to read and you may get ideas too ( where would we be without Google God !! ).............. Just out of curiosity, do we really have to have a Ganesha idol at home? Cant it be something symbolizing Ganesha ??

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  6. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

Great discussion, but surprisingly a few participants. :) Seems like a perfect clash of religious sentiments and environmental responsibilities.

knot2share, you have perhaps indicated towards an alternative to worshiping Ganapati idols that are non-ecofriendly. I'm sure our faith does not allow us to worship a symbol, although God is always in our heart and souls. I feel, why can't we worship brass or stone statues and keep them to be worshiped the following year. In this way, Ganapati bappa will be always with us. :bowdown

Is that an alternative we can follow as population increases and resources like clay idols are rare to find?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi again

I am possibly the one who always ends up hurting others religious sentiments. I do apologize to anybody in that case. I have my own way of following a faith. A stone statue sounds like really a good alternative - a permanent idol to be used every year.

8. Successpriya

Successpriya Silver IL'ite

Nice topic Bhavna..I read in the newspaper yesterday about the same topic and this year they have suggested to use coconut shell idol ganesha. :idea I dont know how many are going to buy that :hide: It looks similar to the clay model. I have attached the picture

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Nice ones Priya !! I can certainly get one to add to my collection !!........thxx

10. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Nice topic ladies..
    I agree with keeping a permanent idol.
    In the past 5 years, when we lived outside India, we never got any clay idol or never did we do any immersing. Its the faith and dedication that matters.
    As of now preserving our natural resources is more important...so considering the go green motto, I'm happy with seating my favorite Ganesha idol for pooja every single year!!!

I also agree that manufacturing these idols gives thousands of people a job and some earning..I might as well just pay the guy or give him food for a couple of days instead of putting it in the idol that seems to perish in a couple of day's time..

Spread the word ladies..its for a good cause..