Fear of Birth....Need advice

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by kanmani, Oct 7, 2006.

1. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Re: Baby Delivery Confused!!!

Sree

If its Chennai I can help with doc recommendations...

Deepa

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Birth Ball - In Chennai

Hi all

1. Can you anyone tell me their opinion on buying a birth ball (for use during labour)
    2. Where is it available in Chennai
    3. Approx Cost.

thanks
    Ramya

3. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Baby Delivery Confused!!!

Good Morning and Thanks Tikka. Yes we did find a good OBGyn Doctor. Thanks.
    Thank You Deepa. Its not Chennai Deepa, we are going to a doctor in Hyderabad, A.P. Thank You for the help.

--sree.

4. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Re: Birth Ball - In Chennai

Ramya

I am going to be there with you during your delivery and you can definitely use the birth ball I have in class. For info sake its the gym ball with dia of 65cms and available in sports stores. Most are imported from south east asia countries and cost around Rs. 800 - 900. If you go for a branded one like the Reebok I have it costs around Rs.1500.

I have attached a pdf that illustrates the benefits of a birth ball by Janet Balskas who is the author of " Active Birth"

Cheers
    Deepa

Attached Files:

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey Deepa

Thanks. Infact, I had written an email to you on this.
    I was a little doubtful of whether this is the same thing we use at gyms.

More than anything, I am so relieved that you are going to be there with me !! :)

6. PKaur88

PKaur88 New IL'ite

Pregnancy and travelling

How far into your pregnancy can you travel on a plane?

Whats the max number of months?

7. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Pregnancy and travelling

Hi Preeti. My wife who is now 21 weeks along her pregnancy travelled to India during her 19th week. Surely, we were more than worried about the travel, at the end she reached home safe.My wife's travel time involved 18 hrs on air and 5-6 hrs of overall halting time.

When I spoke with our dr about this "pregnancy and traveling", he said travel by air is safe between 4th and 6th month of pregnancy. Ofcourse, there are people who travelled during their 7th month and rarely 8th month as well. But I would not suggest travelling beyond 6th month esp if it involves huge amounts of travel time.

Most airlines would require you to have a medical certificate saying you are fit and safe to travel, if travelling beyond 6th month of your pregnancy.

If you wish to travel, here are some things to consider,

* You got to strech and walk around frequently to help blood circulation (there are some exercises, that involve gentle fist/toe movements while seated, am not sure..please look up on those). Best way is drink loads of water, which would automatically require you to get up and walk around as you would feel the urge to use bathroom.

*Pack good amounts of snacks and if you have nausea then pack the things that releive your nausea.

* Keeping in mind the swife flu threat at this time, pack disinfectent wipes and hand gel. When ever you have to use the bathroom or wish to rest in a public place wipe your surroundings using those. And remeber to use disinfectant gel on your hands before eating/playing with your hands on your face/nose/eyes.

* Last but not the least, plan something to engage your self during the travel so you dont get bored. (my wife had planned knitting a sweater for my baby and mufler for me, very nice of her indeed :)

That is all I have got to say. I did loads of research before my wife's travel, and hence summarized the things that I learned for you. Hope this helps.

Safe Journey.

Best,
    Sree.
    well, you can see that I have this habit of elaborating on simplest things too..thats me..sorry about the essay :)

8. MrsSasi

MrsSasi New IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    Very nice to hear Deepa is going to be there with you during labour.

Deepa, the concept for birth ball looks very tempting..but alas looks like there are transport issues if I want to buy one for me.. Are there any versions available which can be de/inflated atleast once in a while? Otherwise wondering how we can take it from home to hospital(unless if hospital provides one.. )

Any inputs welcome..:)

9. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

hey all these balls are inflatable and portable, it comes with a hand pump so no issues in carrying it.

Deepa

10. PKaur88

PKaur88 New IL'ite

Re: Pregnancy and travelling

Thanks for the info sree! Well im not pregnant yet, but need to know in advance, as im from uk and currently living in India, so need to take things accordingly.

Im relieved to know that 6mths is fine! Again appreciate the info you have given! So what if the info was long, least it was informative. :thumbsup