November 2009 Mommies!

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by vpriya, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

Congratulations!!!!!! ammu82.. Welcome to the thread:)

How is everybody doing?

ammu,
    I do not plan to bank the cord blood because I dont know if its really worth it. I keep reading that its not possible to use ones own cord blood to treat a particular disease because that gene for the ailment will already be present in the blood. So after lot of thinking, we decided not to go for it.

My co-sister delivered on monday.A cute little girl. She had to have an emergency c section because there was very less fluid. She was in her 37th week.

Im doing ok but dread evenings and nights!!! Backpain, leg cramps and heartburns!!!!!uhhhhh horrible!!!!!!!:rant

Have you all started making a note of kick counts?? I can see my tummy move and its soo nice!!:rotfl

How was everyones' weekend? have you all started shopping? Its so confusing to decide what to buy!!! We have finalized on the arm's reach mini co sleeper bassinet because there is no place for a crib in our apartment. Car seat and stroller, looking for a light weight one because we wont be able to easily lift the heavy ones if we have a c section.

Waiting for my next appointment. I have my glaucola test. Just want to finish it!!!!

Take care all!!!!

2. dplatha

dplatha New IL'ite

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing great!

even we are not planning to save cord blood after reading that we can't use once own cord blood.

last week was so scary for us. I was admitted in the Hospital. I had vommitted whateven I eat or drink. I went to emergency and doctor said I was dehydrated.they kept me on monitors and started giving me some fluids through IV and said will send me home after that. After few minutes I started getting Contractions( I dont even know what is Contract.Nurse told me what it is while monitoring). they said Contractions are common when you dehydrate but they wanted to see how the baby is reacting. and started doing tests like whether my cervix is dilating etc... they kept me in the hospital for monitoring. by god's grace I was fine by next day morning... I came back to home...

I had 3 hrs glucose test too... I am waiting for the result. overall last week was really bad for me. let's hope everything will be fine in coming weeks.

Take care,
    Latha

3. sushmail.30

sushmail.30 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies

I am back from Canada after a week trip. I really has a great time at my brother's place. My Brother and SIL pampared me a lot.

House Warming celebration also went on well. My role was important through out the function.

Except the long drive everything else was good. My SIL kept her hand on my belly and could feel baby movements, but my poor brother couldn't feel it. When ever baby was active and moving he was not around.

On Friday I came back and the same day I had 2 appointments. First at 8.30 am i had 4D imaging scanning. This time baby was even more clear than at my 20th week appt. I could see her eyes, nose ,mouth cheeks and chin clearly. But still couldn't makeout whom she looked like.

Also the radiologist captured some gud pictures and videos while baby was yawning. It was so sweet watching her yawning again and again.

the at 10.30 I had my regular checkup, everything was ok and doctor said I gained overall 16 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight

4. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Hi Sush: Good to hear you had a nice time in Canada.

Latha: all the best for your glucose test result!
    Even we're not planning on banking the cord blood.

Quick question to everyone... are you planning to use disposables or cloth diapers? Especially would be mothers expecting boys--I recently came across a study which linked the use of disposable diapers to testicular cancer and infertility (BBC News | HEALTH | Nappy 'link to infertility'). Has anyone heard of this?

We were planning on using disposables, but after reading this, I am just not sure...

5. MrsSasi

MrsSasi New IL'ite

Hi Chitmin, I saw a big discussion about this in one of the IL forums. There seems to be a truckload of info here.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/24376-cloth-diapers.html

No doubt, cloth diapers are the definitely the best choice for babies for skin and rashes or heat. But there doesnt seem to be concrete evidence for other health/fertility issues due to disposies. But if you can, cloth diapers are the best choice anytime :thumbsup

However, atleast for the initial couple of months, it might be difficult to use only cloth diapers for baby since it becomes wet very frequently and require to change every 30 mins. Disposies seem to be better choice for these inital couple of months to aid uninterrupted sleeping for the baby.

Iam thinking of using cloth diapers and cotton guazes during daytime and switch to disposies during night. Later after the baby completes 3 months, planning to switch to cloth diapers.

6. Ammu82

Ammu82 New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for pouring in your views about preserving cord blood.

We are yet to make a decision about this. I will update you all with the outcome soon.

Things are pretty much fine at my end.

Take care.

Cheers,
    Ammu

7. sushmail.30

sushmail.30 Senior IL'ite

@ Chitra

Read the article you forwarded, but how can the diaper used in so intial stages of a baby result adversely after 20 years? it really doesn't make sense to me. But until we have some concrete informations and researched facts cant really speak anything abt this.

I have seen many of my friends around are using disposables for their baby boys. It is very comfortable for both parents and kids. Coming to cloth diapers, as ages are proof its always gud but, constant changing and washing is tedious for us.

So better dont just go by one article try to talk to a gud pediatrician and then decide on whats best for ur baby.

8. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the comments MrsSasi and Sush. I was also a little skeptical about the reliability of the claims of the study--but one of my mom's friends who is a pediatrician is also against the use of disposables (but then again, this is in India, where disposables are often pooh poohed anyway). I went over the whole cloth diaper thread again --there only appears to be one lone comment on the study I had come across--but they have a wealth of information on the different kinds of cloth diapers. I think we will use a mix of disposables and cloth diapers--the bum genius 3.0 has gotten many positive reviews--i think I will start with a couple of those and see how that goes. It might be easier to use disposables when we are out or at night. Am still trying to figure it all out....gosh, why can't babies be born toilet trained! :) <sigh>

9. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

I do agree that a combination of both cloth diapers and disposables depending on how convenient it is for us might be a good idea.

@sush- Nice to hear that your were well pampered by your brother and SIL. Living in the US you miss out on most of that stuff... Since I've started to show, I get a little bit of VIP treatment like ask me to jump in front of them in lines and stuff which is funny.. I'm like "why are people so EXTRA nice?" and then I suddenly remember OH that's why!!!:bonk

@chitra- even my DH says the same thing.. Why can't kids be born at the fun age of 3 or 4.. All potty trained, speak words, walk around, go to school...LOL

@Ammu even I'm not so sure about the cord blood thing, but then again I haven't done much research on it.

Everything's going fine with me. I've been trying to keep myself active but it's HOT outside!

A question for you girls who are going for the breast pump- Does your insurance cover the costs for it?

Take care

Tej

10. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Nice to read everyone's updates, i had written a post few days back and now i dont see it.
    we will not save the cord blood. Glucose test is done.

Latha take care of yourself, now for summer we have to be careful.
    Sush, good to know u had a nice trip to Canada.

Ranjitha, same here, back pain, cramps and heartburn. walking after food helps with heartburn, i find great relief after walking. for cramps and back pain, just heat pack and rest. back ache due to sitting in front of comp for hours, doesn't get better even if i take breaks.

Chitra, cloth diapers are good in many ways but too much work. the best part of cloth diapers is ur 100% sure no chemicals etc, the kid is potty trained faster.
    but disposies are easy and comfortable hence the price we pay. i did a combination of both. cloth diapers for initial month, becos of breast feeding the soiled diapers wont smell bad, but when formula fed the diapers stink. also the initial months baby's skin is very tender, so my ped adviced not to even use wipes. so we used cloth diapers and cotton balls or just soft tissues to wipe.
    moreover initial months anyway baby will wake up every 3 hrs for a feeding.

later months they tend to sleep more/sleep through night , so disposies were helpful.
    moreover we will start solids, cereal etc and easy to throw stinking diapers than washing.

There are services who can wash the diapers/dry and deliver to ur door step for a fee. so u dont have to worry abt washing/drying the cloth ones. still they are cheaper than disposies, but in our area we dont have any such services.
    My son was potty trained completely by 1 1/2 where as i see some kids not yet trained at 3 or 3 1/2. so the diaper expenses goes on for 3 yrs atleast. and potty training is such a worry to many parents.
    Just my opinion based on my experience.
    i got cloth diapers here and from india, i feel the covers are better here if u plan to throw them in washing machine, we got pampers/luv and huggies , other brands he got rashes.wipes also gave him rashes, so mostly bounty tissues with wipe solution.