Right age for upanayanam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by ss2009, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ss2009

ss2009 New IL'ite

Hi All,

Pl direct me to the right thread if this has already been discussed.

My son is 6 now and born in 2003. What is the right age for upanayanam? I wish to do his upanayanam sooner at age 7. So should I do it now? we are iyengars. Some say it is 6 completed, 7 yrs running. some say it is calculated from the age of conception. we are confused.

We are in US and we need to plan accordingly.

If it is 7 yrs running age, then it is the time for him now. so pl guide me.

thanks in advance.

2. gshankar27

gshankar27 New IL'ite

Hi,

We did upanayam for our son in India. He is only 6 years old. My husband helps him to do Santhyavandanam and Samithadanam. He is so excited to chant the mantras and we enjoy too.

We live in the USA. It is best to do the upanayanam in the young age.
    Regards
    SharadaShankar

3. bindukrishnan

bindukrishnan New IL'ite

Hi,

My son is also 2003 born(feb). We did his upanayanam in kalady , kerala in june this year. My DH helps him to do the sandhyavandanam and samithdhanam.

Love
    Bindu

4. ss2009

ss2009 New IL'ite

Thank you for your replies. Since we are in US, if we want to plan to do upanayanam in India, how do u do the planning from here. should we get things from here for anything? how did u all do the arrangements from here? pl throw some light on this. thanks a lot.

5. poora7377

poora7377 New IL'ite

Hi
    My son's d.o.b is december 2003. he has completed 8 years and now 9 is running.
    can we perform his upanayam in 2012?

6. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Upanayanam as per Vedic rituals should be done at the age of 7 or 9 or 11.
    13 is ok, but after 16 it is not permitted in Sastras.

Since he is 9, its the best age to perform brahmopadesam. and this Year during the month of Masi, Panguni are the best months to go in for Upanayanam. If situations do not permit, can be done on Chithirai and Vaigasi.
    in 2012, Avani is treated as Malamaasam, hence all the functions come either before or after the Avani.
    Even in my Panchangam, I have quoted, that Avani is not advisable for any auspicious ceremonies. (Even for Marriages or nuptials)

Lot of brahmins organisations and trusts are organising such functions in mass.
    Even His Holiness Kanchi ParamAchAryA too insisted to go for Samashti Upanayanam
    which makes good potential in the life of the boy, to chant mantras and follow the Brahmacharyam.

Thanks and regards

7. Lalitharaman98

Lalitharaman98 New IL'ite

Hi bindu, Not sure if my earlier message was posted here. I would like to more details, contacts on performing upanayanam in Kalady. We are Tamil users and we are wishing to do upanayanam for my son. It will be great if you can share info on upanayanam in Kalady

8. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Can somebody let me know what is the right age for upanayanam. I have heard it has to be odd age...so if a boy was born in Feb,2007 - Can he have his upanayanam between Feb,2014-Jan,2015 ofcourse based on when his stars agree? We are Rig upakarmas.

9. LakshmiRAnikode

LakshmiRAnikode New IL'ite

Bindu, Lalitha,
    I would like to do our son's upanayanam in Kalady this year. How was your experience. Are there sufficient rooms available? Can we do nandi also theres the previous day? Please help.