1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing/Stitching Patterns

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by mathynila, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathynila

mathynila New IL'ite

Please find Fb thread here

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/sewing-tailoring-stitching/49329-sewing-stitching-patterns-fb.html

Reversible Baby Dress

0-1 length
    0-2 1/4 chest -1
    2-3 1/4 chest +1" or 2"
    0-4 waist length +1/2"
    4-5 1/4 chest+1"
    1-6 I took 8" ( FROM OLD DRESS )
    6-7 ABOVE 1"or 2" TO MAKE A CURVE
    0-8 1/2 shoulder
    0-9 1/4" below draw slanting line
    0-10 1/12 chest or 2"
    0- 11 1.5 inches( back neck line i took from old dress)
    0-12 2.5" front neck(from old dress)

draw this line and cut the pattern
    now take the front pattern unfold and extend the line1-6 and 2-3
    1-1a make about 4" ( 1/2 of the 1-6 measurement) draw a perpendicular line
    from the intersection 2a take 1 " or 2" inches below i.e 2b
    now draw a front neck line and cut along dotted lines
    check this link for diagrams
    Picasa Web Albums - mathynila - baby reversib...
    i got an inspiration crafster.org
    Tutorial: reversible, buttonless wrap dress - Sewing Clothes for Kids Crafts - Craftser.org

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011

2. rsindhuja

rsindhuja Bronze IL'ite

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

re: Sewing / Tailoring / Stitching : Kids Wear : Nappies,Booties,Frocks,Gowns,Shirts,

Hi,
    if you are plannning to make cloth nappies, then you can use old dhotis for this purpose. The right measurement would be bigger that a gents kerchief. You can make a square cloth and fold in into triangle. Then stitch the sides together and attach a thread (stitiched with the thread itself) and also a loop on the corner of the angle (ooposite to the thread attached side). This can be used to nearly 4 months as the baby would not be very active. After that you can make cloth nappies the model of the disposable diapers and stitch them and attach velcro for fastening. I did that way when my son was a baby. If you feel that will be right for you, please reply and I shall try to make some patters and post them.

4. rumyar

rumyar New IL'ite

5. Anjali2

Anjali2 Gold IL'ite

6. AVpoornima

AVpoornima Gold IL'ite

7. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Shirred Summer Dresses

Hi everyone,

I have been a silent reader of this forum for the past couple of weeks, and have been *very* inspired by the wonderful clothes that you've all made. I finally took the plunge and got back to sewing dresses. I used to sew for my younger sister when I was a teenager (over a decade ago!). After moving to the US in 2001 I didn't have anyone to sew for! Honestly, I still dont--but now I have several friends with young daughters. One of these gurls has her second birthday on Saturday, I'll probably give the pink and blue dress to her. Still trying to figure out whom to give the second dress to...

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Re: Shirred Summer Dresses

I actually looked up a number of sites (using Google) on shirring--it's basically done using elastic thread in the bobbin and the usual thread on top of the machine. Regarding consttruction: Start with a rectangle--I used about 1/2 a yard of fabric for the pink and blue dress, and a little less than half a yard for the pink and purple dress. Make the straps (both the dresses have halter style straps, so I made two--but you can make fixed straps, or even have 4 straps for tying.
    My fabric for the dress was about 18 inches in length (dress length--but you can change that depending on the child's height), and about 40 inches in width. Stich along the length of the fabric --so now we have something like a square--with 18 inches length (that is the length of the dress) and approximatley 20 inches wide (the width of the dress). Hem the top and bottom of the dress--I use the picot stich and use embroidery floss (6 threads) in the bobbin and invisible thread on top to achieve a decorative zigzag effect--but you can hem the top and bottom any way you please.
    This is the basic dress construction. Now begins the fun part, where you will shirr the top of the dress. For this I used elastic thread (it's available at Joann Fabrics--I'm guessing it should be fairly easily available in India as well--it's just like thread, only elasticized). Hand spool the bobbin with elastic thread without pulling it (keep the tension fairly low), and then make multiple rows of straight stiches on the bodice of the dress. The fabric should be stiched on the right side (this will ensure that the elastic thread is on the inside of the garment). I did about 14 rows of shirring for the pink and blue dress and 10 rows for the pink and purple. Once the shirring is done, I attached the straps to the front of the dress (I basically eye-balled it, since I dont have a live model yet :)).

There is a good tute on shirring here:
    Kuky Ideas

Hope this helps! Happy sewing...

Chitra.

9. makka

makka New IL'ite

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  10. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Baby Clothes

Dear all,
    I would like share some of the baby clothes pattern that i found while surfing in the net.

1. Peasant Top:

What you'll need to make a baby peasant top:

• printable baby clothes pattern
    • Designer Fashion Fabric [​IMG] or Children's fabrics [​IMG] (a yard should do it)
    • 1/4" wide elastic
    • matching thread
    Start by downloading and printing the baby peasant top pattern. Print it onto regular old white printer paper and then tape the paper together to form the entire pattern. Cut out the pieces as specified.

Pin the baby clothes pattern pieces to your chosen fabric. The pattern piece for the front and back of the top should be placed on the fold of the fabric where specified on the pattern. Cut two front and back pieces and two sleeves.
    [​IMG]Place the front and back pieces together right sides facing in. Sew the sides together at the left and right, ending where the sleeves would start. Next meet the sleeve ends together with the right side facing in, sewing the ends together.
    Sew a casing to the bottom of each sleeve piece. To do this, first fold the end of the sleeve over about a 1/4" and iron in place. Fold the end over again by about 1/2" and sew this in place to form the casing for the elastic to slide through. You will need to leave a small opening to insert the elastic.

Pin the sleevs to the body of the peasant top with the right sides facing together. Sew the sleeves to the body of the top. [​IMG]Sew a hem to the bottom of the top. Turn the bottom in by about 1/4" and iron in place. Sew the fold in place and repeat. Next sew a casing to the top part of the peasant top. Fold the top down and inwards by about a 1/4" and iron it in place. Stitch this in place. Fold it over again about 1/2" and sew in the casing.
    To finish thread the 1/4" elastic through the sleeves and top casing. The easiest way to thread the elastic through is to thread a safety pin through the end and then push the safety pin through the casing. To determine the length the elastic should be try doing a fitting. Pin the elstic where you want to sew it together. Overlap either edge of elastic by about a half an inch and sew together. Pull the elastic back into the casing and sew it shut.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.